Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Anyone else planning their audio upgrades yet?

Soon as I get my Bronco, I'm going to pull and measure the speaker mounting dimensions and start planning a build. Maybe someone will get theirs before and can get this info out to the public. One of my concerns is that the 4" speakers in the back just are not big enough to provide enough sound. Especially for the 4 door Broncos. That leaves you to pretty much need bigger housing to fit a bigger speaker. That means giving up some cargo room though and hindering your visibility a bit.

4" speakers should fit in the dash and rear pods and I can get some nice 6.5's for the kick panels.

Currently thinking all Polk Audio for the speakers

DB 402's and 652's for the kick panels.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soon as I get my Bronco, I'm going to pull and measure the speaker mounting dimensions and start planning a build. Maybe someone will get theirs before and can get this info out to the public. One of my concerns is that the 4" speakers in the back just are not big enough to provide enough sound. Especially for the 4 door Broncos. That leaves you to pretty much need bigger housing to fit a bigger speaker. That means giving up some cargo room though and hindering your visibility a bit.

4" speakers should fit in the dash and rear pods and I can get some nice 6.5's for the kick panels.

It will be interesting to see something fit into the kick panels. Not my favorite spot, but might be decent if there is any depth. My thought is upgrading the 4” and 1” in front and adding a small 4 channel amp to get a bit more volume. I don’t really care about the rears, if I can get decent volume from the front. No clue what’s good these days, MB Quart used to make a really good 4” two way and component set. The stock system probably doesn’t have much power. Amplifier clipping is probably worse than having more than rated power to the speakers.
Edit- I will probably look to fit a small 6.5 or 8" sub in the factory location (custom enclosure). Hopefully fit s very small footprint 3 or 5 channel amp in the same spot. I have a background in car audio, just been a while since I did it for a living. Could be a fun project, once there is an interface kit. I won't be hacking the stock wiring.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am thinking a amp, a rear subwoofer (it's small, but maybe even the B&O one from the parts dept), and replace the 4" in the dash and 5-1/2" in the kick panels with higher power / quality speakers.

I am also interested to see what we can do about those rear pods. I am considering replacing them with 6-1/2" wakeboard tower pods like these:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_049T1C116B/MB-Quart-NHT1C-116B.html?tp=96464

Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build g049T1C116B-F

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am also interested to see what we can do about those rear pods. I am considering replacing them with 6-1/2" wakeboard tower pods like these:
Wake tower speakers crossed my mind as well. I'll probably steal borrow a pair off a buddies boat and test fit 'em.

Sponsored

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FINALLY, someone talking about this!! I have upgraded my previous two vehicles audio systems & plan to do the same with my BaseBase Bronco.

I plan on doing all Rockford fosgates or maybe B2 audio (probably) & like the OP I will need to measure to make sure what will fit. Hopefully since I have a later order (Aug 1st) others will have figured this out & posted on it.

I have thought about kick panels as well, but mine is a 2 door so I may be able to just upgrade the rear pods & be good with it.

No sub for this vehicle as I want to utilize storage space better, unlike my current fusion that has a 15" sub filling the entire trunk space.

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It will be interesting to see something fit into the kick panels. Not my favorite spot, but might be decent if there is any depth. My thought is upgrading the 4” and 1” in front and adding a small 4 channel amp to get a bit more volume. I don’t really care about the rears, if I can get decent volume from the front. No clue what’s good these days, MB Quart used to make a really good 4” two way and component set. The stock system probably doesn’t have much power. Amplifier clipping is probably worse than having more than rated power to the speakers.
I was thinking 4 channel as well. Don't need a lot of power. the kick panel will definitely be the interesting part. Several audio companies do make kick panel speakers for side-by-sides though so I'm hopeful there will be good options for us

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the JBL sound bar...reviews seemed pretty good, but may not be the sound quality some more discriminate may want.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Polk for front speakers is an excellent choice .... there are 4 speakers in the front, 2 at the bottom of the windshield and 2 near the floor .... you mentioned 4" speakers, where did you get that from? what size are the other speakers? ohms, watts,RMS, etc
Also, where is the head unit located?

I am considering a soundbar too.

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Polk for front speakers is an excellent choice .... there are 4 speakers in the front, 2 at the bottom of the windshield and 2 near the floor .... you mentioned 4" speakers, where did you get that from? what size are the other speakers? ohms, watts,RMS, etc
Also, where is the head unit located?

I am considering a soundbar too.
For the base system, the Instrument panel speakers are 100mm, kick panel speakers are 165mm, and the rear pod speakers are 100mm.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking 4 channel as well. Don't need a lot of power. the kick panel will definitely be the interesting part. Several audio companies do make kick panel speakers for side-by-sides though so I'm hopeful there will be good options for us
Something like this with high pass for the smaller front and rear speakers and a small sub probably makes sense for me. It really improves the small speaker performance if you limit the low frequency to them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html?tp=35808

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I ordered the JBL sound bar...reviews seemed pretty good, but may not be the sound quality some more discriminate may want.
I'm still considering the sound bar as well, but Ford has released basically no details on it or if it can be integrated into the factory audio system at all. Their silence on that tells me it isn't possible.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am interested in how that one integrates and how much rearview it blocks.

Also, here are the speaker locations and sizes per the BN post:

Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build 041FE687-9B22-4859-9E25-5D47F90988E0

Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build DD911E24-5D2C-4B1D-9490-5C945B5FC29C

kencantrell

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry SE V6; Ford F250 crew cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A good friend weaponized the sound system in his Wrangler with about 1500 watts and new speakers. He's a mechanical engineer and a serious audiophile, and I've already put him on retainer for when my BD arrives. Also following.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

(y)

I've bookmarked this thread and will be watching for everyone's ideas. I'm sure the local shop will want to sell me a super high end package, but I don't need crazy, just quality. The stock Rockford Fosgate system in my Xterra actually sounds pretty darn good.

I would think new speakers, a decent amp and a small sub placed somewhere would be just fine and shouldn't be mind blowingly expensive.
Sponsored