First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I have talked to a couple of shops about upgrading my 4 door stereo, I have the base stereo. I'm not sure what way to go and want to get the best bang for my buck.

So one shop will do kicker KS series in the dash, kick panels, and rear pods with the kicker low profile down firing 10 inch sub with an amp for that and an amp for the speakers. Would run me $1,700 installed.

The other shop I spoke with gave me 2 ways to go:
1. Focal 2 way components integration series for the front and Memphis audio 4 inch for the rear. 10inch JL sub with amp built in. No amp on the speakers. $1,700 installed.
2. Focal 2 way components access series and Memphis audio 4 inch for the rear powered with a JL audio amp and DSP. Same Sub as other option. $3,200 installed.

Just not sure what to do for the best bang for the buck. Would the Kicker option be enough or would it leave me wishing I had gone with one of the others? I know either way it will be a major upgrade over the factory base system.
Sponsored

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd stay away from other shop option #1 - reason being, the stock amp runs out of gas pretty quick at higher volume, and then clipping starts to set in. No speakers will be able to avoid that.

The biggest question would be what you're looking for in terms of audio detail. The Kicker KS system will definitely be good, but the KS dash speakers aren't as detailed on the mid/high frequencies as the Focals will be. I considered the KS but ultimately thought they were a bit muffled sounding, and went with Audison 2" for my front dash. If you're looking for all-around performance, the Kicker system would do you well. If you tend to nit-pick when you're listening to music, you may either want to go all-out with other shop option #2.

What amps are they going with for the Kicker KS system?

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd stay away from other shop option #1 - reason being, the stock amp runs out of gas pretty quick at higher volume, and then clipping starts to set in. No speakers will be able to avoid that.

The biggest question would be what you're looking for in terms of audio detail. The Kicker KS system will definitely be good, but the KS dash speakers aren't as detailed on the mid/high frequencies as the Focals will be. I considered the KS but ultimately thought they were a bit muffled sounding, and went with Audison 2" for my front dash. If you're looking for all-around performance, the Kicker system would do you well. If you tend to nit-pick when you're listening to music, you may either want to go all-out with other shop option #2.

They would use the kicker key amp and a kicker mono sub amp

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ouch!! That's pricey (to me) If you are even moderatly handy grab a plug and play harness a kicker key 200.4 any 4" speaker is better than stock just make sure the tweeters sit flush not raised. I went with infinity 4032 for 4" front and rear didn't bother yet with kick panel speakers. Plug and play harness kicker key 200.4 and a rockville(i think)10" slim powered sub. Sounds very decent and I'm about $700 all in and about 1 1/2 hours time.

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I think option 1 with no amp is out for sure so it just depends on what I want to spend. May look at Hertz speakers as well.

Sponsored

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think option 1 with no amp is out for sure so it just depends on what I want to spend. May look at Hertz speakers as well.
For sure - the Kicker Key amps are awesome. I have a 200.4 and it's the MVP of the whole setup - speakers were an ok upgrade, but it didn't come alive until the 200.4 went in. Plus, the Kicker sub + 500.1 will provide a ton of punch. And then you've got a solid foundation that'll give you room to play and test other speakers. The acoustics of the Bronco are weird up front. And who knows? You may love the KS - lots of folks on here have used them with great results.

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I basically have your first option...Kicker Key and 10" Kicker sub with new speakers all around (self install), and I'm at $1200 including wiring harnesses and $100 in sound deadening.

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just did the Kicker Key amp install and it's already got the plug n play kit to add the kicker sub in the future.

Super easy install and this alone added a lot of fullness. Of course better speakers fed with better power is going to make a larger improvement.

Add in the subwoofer and you should have everything you need to enjoy music in a removable top off-roader.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kicker key amps for the first shop?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've got the kicker key with Kicker 4" in the back and JL Audio 2650's up front, and I would say that you should probably aim for the cheaper option.

I Only say that mostly because while the stereo is definitely better than it was stock, there's no getting around the fact that it's a big, poorly-insulated metal box. If it were me and I dumped 3k into a stereo upgrade for it to only be able to sound say, 25% better than stock, I'd run the risk of being disappointed.

I guess I'm saying to have realistic expectations of what that upgrade money can buy for you.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So it's been narrowed down to two final options:
1. Kicker KS series for all speakers, infinity 5 channel amp, 10 inch downfiring kicker sub - $1,981
2. Hertz centro series for all speakers, Hertz 5 channel amp, Hertz centro 10 inch sub - $2,850

This is what I have to decide between. Any feedback from anyone familiar with these would be great!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seems like a 5 channel amp is the best fit to boost the stock + add a sub...but the prices on the 5 channels I saw were crazy high.

Seems like the kicker amps are "the thing" right now but I have no interest in wiring up 2 separate amps (key 200 + key 500).

And small 5 channels that are reasonably priced?

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like a 5 channel amp is the best fit to boost the stock + add a sub...but the prices on the 5 channels I saw were crazy high.

Seems like the kicker amps are "the thing" right now but I have no interest in wiring up 2 separate amps (key 200 + key 500).

And small 5 channels that are reasonably priced?
I agree on the 5-channel amp, but I might be biased:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-dsp-speakers-and-sub-lots-of-pictures.43856/

Everybody loves the kicker key amps, they are fine for a pretty low budget amp. When you move into 5-channels and possibly a DSP it can get pricy pretty fast. However, for packaging and wiring, it works great! If you are going to allocate funds to speaker vs. amp, I would start with the amp.

OP
OP

OBXSquatch21

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree on the 5-channel amp, but I might be biased:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-dsp-speakers-and-sub-lots-of-pictures.43856/

Everybody loves the kicker key amps, they are fine for a pretty low budget amp. When you move into 5-channels and possibly a DSP it can get pricy pretty fast. However, for packaging and wiring, it works great! If you are going to allocate funds to speaker vs. amp, I would start with the amp.
Ya that's why I didn't want to go with the Key amp, I don't really want 2 amps. More expensive and more labor to install. Also takes up more room.
Sponsored