Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I upgraded all 6 speakers to Infinity Reference, and it’s definitely an upgrade over stock but I feel like a subwoofer would really finish it off nicely.

I’ve never installed a subwoofer, but it looks like you need access to both right and left channels. This seems tricky. Do you need to splice into the 6.5” speaker lines on each side and then run them to subwoofer? The consensus is that the rear pods are bass limited by the head unit so tapping in there won’t work.
Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Subwoofer are not stereo as far as I know. You might pinch it with one of the kick panels.

jhenson81

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For best results, you should use both left and right channels as inputs for the amplifier. Then bridge the output (if using a 2-channel amp) for 1 sub. The reason being that some recordings may only have bass on the left or right channel. It would be easier if you splice into the speaker wires at the radio. That way you can run the wires together down one side of the truck. Also make sure you get an amp with Line Level inputs, if you're tapping into the factory speaker wires.

I'm sure YouTube has plenty of videos on basic subwoofer installs with factory head unit, just nothing Bronco specific.

Last edited:

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I upgraded all 6 speakers to Infinity Reference, and it’s definitely an upgrade over stock but I feel like a subwoofer would really finish it off nicely.

I’ve never installed a subwoofer, but it looks like you need access to both right and left channels. This seems tricky. Do you need to splice into the 6.5” speaker lines on each side and then run them to subwoofer? The consensus is that the rear pods are bass limited by the head unit so tapping in there won’t work.
Love to hear what you did

Sponsored

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Mine was a powered sub. Tied into the rear 4" and it sounds great. Kenwood PA-W801B. Don't need an amp with it because it is powered.

OP
OP
VictoryLights

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For best results, you should use both left and right channels as inputs for the amplifier. Then bridge the output (if using a 2-channel amp) for 1 sub. The reason being that some recordings may only have bass on the left or right channel. It would be easier if you splice into the speaker wires at the radio. That way you can run the wires together down one side of the truck. Also make sure you get an amp with Line Level inputs, of you're tapping into the factory speaker wires.

I'm sure YouTube has plenty of videos on basic subwoofer installs with factory head unit, just nothing Bronco specific.
Thank you. Getting at the 6.5” speakers on each side wasn’t too bad. I don’t have the confidence to rip the entire dash apart though lol.
Mine was a powered sub. Tied into the rear 4" and it sounds great. Kenwood PA-W801B. Don't need an amp with it because it is powered.
Did you tie into both the left and right rear pods?

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Subwoofer are not stereo as far as I know. You might pinch it with one of the kick panels.
Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about... So, don't mind me.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've installed 2 Kicker Hideaways in my past 2 trucks. They come powered and I've only tapped into one side instead both. Has worked out fine for me.

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you. Getting at the 6.5” speakers on each side wasn’t too bad. I don’t have the confidence to rip the entire dash apart though lol.

Did you tie into both the left and right rear pods?
It was done by a shop so I can't say 100%, but I'm fairly positive it's just the left side. That's where all my wiring is running. I chatted with the guy before the install and asked if they were going to tie into the 6.5" or the 4" and he said he always ties into the back speaker closest and never has had an issue. And honestly it sounds amazing.

AD012653-4906-41B0-BE3D-6F3DC8252304.jpeg

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I installed a sub in my base 2015 Mustang GT, I tapped the left and right front channels at the radio, because Ford put a high pass crossover on the rear deck speakers in the Mustang. You either had to install a device that turned the bass back up on the rear channel, use Forscan to turn off factory equalizer, or tap the front channels. Who knows how they equalized the Bronco stereos.

OP
OP
VictoryLights

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I installed a sub in my base 2015 Mustang GT, I tapped the left and right front channels at the radio, because Ford put a high pass crossover on the rear deck speakers in the Mustang. You either had to install a device that turned the bass back up on the rear channel, use Forscan to turn off factory equalizer, or tap the front channels. Who knows how they equalized the Bronco stereos.
Here's a good video of a sound system upgrade

Thanks, I’ve seen that video and it checks out with what @wjfawb0 is saying with the mustang rear speakers being high pass filtered.

When they connected their sub to the rear speakers it was unimpressive, but then switching to the front floor speakers made a huge difference.

OP
OP
VictoryLights

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was done by a shop so I can't say 100%, but I'm fairly positive it's just the left side. That's where all my wiring is running. I chatted with the guy before the install and asked if they were going to tie into the 6.5" or the 4" and he said he always ties into the back speaker closest and never has had an issue. And honestly it sounds amazing.

AD012653-4906-41B0-BE3D-6F3DC8252304.jpeg
Nice. I like the placement and look of yours. Is there anyway you could confirm how they connected it or post pictures of the connections? 🙏
Sponsored