Sponsored

Bash Plates are Plastic on my OBX 2023 (UPDATE) OBX is a MISBUILD. Well this is good news. My dealership got me all new bash plates and installed

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is the engine skid plate steel/existent?
I’m gonna be furious if my basemansquatch shows up in a week with a plastic bash plate instead of a steel one. That makes the $825 mod bumper option really close to buying an aftermarket bumper at full retail price 😑
Isn’t this illegal since it specifically says steel?
Sponsored

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes I was quite surprised to find plastic
Do you have pictures? The plastic front skid is specific to the standard plastic bumper and has cutouts for the tow hooks that are not there with the mod bumper. Gator can you post more pics of yours?

my ‘22 OBX mod bumper has metal front skid and metal engine skid.

Last edited:

Bronck

Base
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you have pictures? The plastic front skid is specific to the standard plastic bumper and has cutouts for the tow hooks that are not there with the mod bumper. Gator can you post more pics of yours?

my ‘22 OBX mod bumper has metal front skid and metal engine skid.
The video clearly shows a plastic skid. I hope this is a mis build but my gut says Ford made a production change and has not updated build and price

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The video clearly shows a plastic skid. I hope this is a mis build but my gut says Ford made a production change and has not updated build and price
The B&P always has the disclaimer that it is only to be used for "marketing" so it should never be the final word. The Dealer Order Guide takes precedent when ordering. The window sticker indicating a steel bash plate when optioning the modular bumper provides the buyer recourse to file a ticket for a mis-build.

I'm thinking the language on the window stickers hasn't been updated to reflect the cost savings measure. If you look at the video provided, the plastic skid plate is different than the standard plastic skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper. I have a feeling that there has been a change for MY'23 and that only the BD/BL that have a steel bash plate standard will have the steel bash plate for the modular bumper. Other trims that option the modular steel bumper will have an upgraded plastic skid plate.

It is only my supposition. But it won't be the first time that Ford has instituted cost savings changes without publicly communicating them. We need more buyers for MY'23 to confirm whether their Bronco has the steel bash plate or plastic skid plate on trims other than BD/BL that have optioned the modular bumper.

Bronco488

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Viper, Cayman, Macan, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I recently took delivery of my '23 OBX SAS with mod bumper and also have a plastic front bash plate even though my window sticker clearly says Steel. Sure seems like this is a cost savings move by Ford on the '23s. I was already planning to get the full steel bash plate accessory kit from Ford so it doesn't matter much to me in the end, just seems sleazy.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I recently took delivery of my '23 OBX SAS with mod bumper and also have a plastic front bash plate even though my window sticker clearly says Steel. Sure seems like this is a cost savings move by Ford on the '23s. I was already planning to get the full steel bash plate accessory kit from Ford so it doesn't matter much to me in the end, just seems sleazy.
I would bring the issue to your dealer's attention with the supporting evidence on your window sticker and your DORA showing the verbiage that the modular bumper includes the steel bash plate.

Until Ford updates the language on the window sticker, buyer's have recourse for filing a claim as a mis-build error.

But as more buyers of MY'23 Broncos that have optioned the modular bumper and are being built with an upgraded plastic skid plate, we can surmise that it is deliberate and not a one-off mistake.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you’re doing anything that causes you to need a steel bash plate then you absolutely need the gas tank skid. Your window sticker says steel bash plate, so try to get ford to give a concession, maybe ford pass points and then use that to get the accessory kit. Ford owes you something for sure. I found the price if the accessory kit with the 20% discount is way cheaper than aftermarket gas tank skids when you pay shipping

Emerald

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Capable bumper is standard on the Black Diamond and Badlands for MY'22 and going forward. The MY'21 BD/BL had the modular bumper standard. Both bumpers include the steel bash plate along with the standard steel skid plates on the two trims.

My supposition is that for trims that have a plastic bumper standard, they have the option to upgrade to the modular bumper which now has an upgraded plastic skid plate (vs. the regular skid that comes with the plastic bumpers). The language on B&P and window stickers have not been updated to reflect the cost savings measure. Again, it is only my supposition that Ford has made that change for MY'23 to cut costs.

We'll have to see if others that have upgraded to the modular bumper on trims that have a plastic bumper standard also are seeing the bash/skid plate no longer steel.
My bash/skid plates are steel along with the modular bumper upgrade on my 2022 Black Diamond. I'd be as disappointed as I was to learn that they shifted to the 'capable' bumper as standard on this model between 2021 and 2022 but at least I knew I could upgrade.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I can confirm that for a 2022 OBX Squatch 2 door with mod bumper...front bash plate is steel. Skid plates for the engine and the fuel tank are also steel.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My bash/skid plates are steel along with the modular bumper upgrade on my 2022 Black Diamond. I'd be as disappointed as I was to learn that they shifted to the 'capable' bumper as standard on this model between 2021 and 2022 but at least I knew I could upgrade.
As I mentioned, this cost savings wouldn't apply to MY'23 Black Diamond or Badlands. Those two trims have full steel bash/skid plate regardless of which bumper is optioned. The changeover (in theory) did not occur to MY'22 Broncos regardless of trim purchased.

I can confirm that for a 2022 OBX Squatch 2 door with mod bumper...front bash plate is steel. Skid plates for the engine and the fuel tank are also steel.
The cost savings (if true) will have only occurred on MY'23 Broncos. Any previous MY Broncos would be unaffected. For the 2-dr, the fuel tank skid is included when optioning the Sasquatch package. It is a cheat code per se as the 4-dr receives no such protection for the fuel tank except when a Black Diamond or Badlands is ordered.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the video — that is wild. Had never seen the plastic bash until this.

Definitely raise hell with Ford. Your window sticker says steel, you should be getting steel.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As I mentioned, this cost savings wouldn't apply to MY'23 Black Diamond or Badlands. Those two trims have full steel bash/skid plate regardless of which bumper is optioned. The changeover (in theory) did not occur to MY'22 Broncos regardless of trim purchased.

The cost savings (if true) will have only occurred on MY'23 Broncos. Any previous MY Broncos would be unaffected. For the 2-dr, the fuel tank skid is included when optioning the Sasquatch package. It is a cheat code per se as the 4-dr receives no such protection for the fuel tank except when a Black Diamond or Badlands is ordered.
The 2021 2 door OBX without Sasquatch with the basic plastic bumper also has the steel fuel tank skid.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2021 2 door OBX without Sasquatch with the basic plastic bumper also has the steel fuel tank skid.
That I did not know. I thought that only BD/BL 2 or 4-dr had the steel skids. All other trims were naked underneath except for the front bash plate when optioning the modular bumper (pre-MY'23). It was later found out that when optioning the Sasquatch package on the 2-dr that Ford included the steel fuel skid (though there was no itemizing detail of it). I'm curious if the 2-dr WT with plastic bumper gets the steel skid? I'm quite certain the 2-dr Base/Big Bend don't when built stock with plastic bumpers.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That I did not know. I thought that only BD/BL 2 or 4-dr had the steel skids. All other trims were naked underneath except for the front bash plate when optioning the modular bumper (pre-MY'23). It was later found out that when optioning the Sasquatch package on the 2-dr that Ford included the steel fuel skid (though there was no itemizing detail of it). I'm curious if the 2-dr WT with plastic bumper gets the steel skid? I'm quite certain the 2-dr Base/Big Bend don't when built stock with plastic bumpers.
All 2 doors (all trims Sasquatch or not) get a steel fuel tank skid. My Big Bend non Sasquatch w/plastic bumper had plastic front bash and plastic engine skid.

I resolved with RC Hidden Winch, Ford Transmission and Transfer Case skids.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All 2 doors (all trims Sasquatch or not) get a steel fuel tank skid. My Big Bend non Sasquatch w/plastic bumper had plastic front bash and plastic engine skid.

I resolved with RC Hidden Winch, Ford Transmission and Transfer Case skids.
Thank you for that. I've been on Team 2 Door since day 1 and had no idea that the plastic stock builds included the steel fuel skid. Pretty cool to have followed every bit of detail for the past few years and still learn of new features.
Sponsored