Sponsored

Basic Navigation paywalled - Is this true?

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I let my connected navigation run out. Because of this, I think that I just found out that basic navigation is paywalled? I looked in the manual and could not see in the Navigation section that one needs to have "connected navigation". I thought connected navigation was for the extras such as weather, traffic conditions, gas stations and the likes. The reason why I like onboard GPS is for the few times I am not able to be connected. I have found one other thread but it was not clear to me.

Is basic navigation paywalled? Can you only use Navigation if you are connected? I have to be missing something.
Sponsored

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I let my connected navigation run out. Because of this, I think that I just found out that basic navigation is paywalled? I looked in the manual and could not see in the Navigation section that one needs to have "connected navigation". I thought connected navigation was for the extras such as weather, traffic conditions, gas stations and the likes. The reason why I like onboard GPS is for the few times I am not able to be connected. I have found one other thread but it was not clear to me.

Is basic navigation paywalled? Can you only use Navigation if you are connected? I have to be missing something.
Yes if you do not opt for built-in connected navigation the connected only navigation only works with the subscription service as there isn't a complete offline map available. If you wanted it to work offline you needed the connected built-in navigation which will still function as navigation beyond the trial period of 3 years.

You can use android auto or apple carplay instead of paying for the connected navigation after the trial.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you should be able to use android auto / apple car play (or whatever it is called) and use the preferred navigation app from your phone.
There was a 40+ minute sync 4 tutorial video on youtube where the connected navigation vs android auto/apple auto was discussed.

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes if you do not opt for built-in connected navigation the connected only navigation only works with the subscription service as there isn't a complete offline map available. If you wanted it to work offline you needed the connected built-in navigation which will still function as navigation beyond the trial period of 3 years.

You can use android auto or apple carplay instead of paying for the connected navigation after the trial.
So you can have built-in navigation and not need to be subscribed to "connected navigation" if you opt in? How does one opt in for this?

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

you should be able to use android auto / apple car play (or whatever it is called) and use the preferred navigation app from your phone.
There was a 40+ minute sync 4 tutorial video on youtube where the connected navigation vs android auto/apple auto was discussed.
Thanks for the info on Andriod Auto and Car play. I use those, and it is pretty much what I use for navigation. I am really asking about the ford nav system though. As I mentioned, I use built in nav for those times I am not able to connect.

Sponsored

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you can have built-in navigation and not need to be subscribed to "connected navigation" if you opt in? How does one opt in for this?
You needed to order the vehicle with the option, or potentially need to swap out the APIM for one with it built in, because I'm going to suspect that unlike the SYNC 2 MyFordTouch system that kept the maps on an SD card and the APIM was the same with and without navigation thus could be Forscan hacked to enable navigation that SYNC 4 like SYNC 3 which are both QNX based do not have enough memory for the maps when not equipped for built in navigation. They aren't likely to spend the money to make the APIM the same when it's unnecessary.

It's not going to be as simple as just enabling it in software.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So there are two navigation systems offered on the Bronco: Connected Navigation and Connected Built-in Navigation. Your profile says you have the Black Diamond, which means you have Connected Navigation.

Both Connected Navigation and Connected Built-In Navigation do basically the same thing while the service is active. The both pull in weather and traffic information using the AT&T cellular modem inside of your vehicle, and they will both route you from point A to point B.

Once the service expires, the Connected Built-In Navigation reverts to a more traditional old-school GPS device. It'll provide you routing from point A to point B, but it will not provide you weather or traffic information.

On Connected Navigation, the system will revert to effectively a digital map. There will be no routing functionality.

If you want to pay the subscription for these services after the initial trail period expires, it can be done on your Ford account or via your FordPass app on your phone.

The third option, as folks have already mentioned, is to use the Maps application (or something like Waze) on your smartphone through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That service is available on all trims and does not require a subscription to use, as it is driven entirely through your smartphone.

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can also download maps for offline use on your android or apple phones for navigation without an internet connection.

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So there are two navigation systems offered on the Bronco: Connected Navigation and Connected Built-in Navigation. Your profile says you have the Black Diamond, which means you have Connected Navigation.

Both Connected Navigation and Connected Built-In Navigation do basically the same thing while the service is active. The both pull in weather and traffic information using the AT&T cellular modem inside of your vehicle, and they will both route you from point A to point B.

Once the service expires, the Connected Built-In Navigation reverts to a more traditional old-school GPS device. It'll provide you routing from point A to point B, but it will not provide you weather or traffic information.

On Connected Navigation, the system will revert to effectively a digital map. There will be no routing functionality.

If you want to pay the subscription for these services after the initial trail period expires, it can be done on your Ford account or via your FordPass app on your phone.

The third option, as folks have already mentioned, is to use the Maps application (or something like Waze) on your smartphone through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That service is available on all trims and does not require a subscription to use, as it is driven entirely through your smartphone.
This is what I needed to clear it up for me. Thank you. Had zero idea there were two nav systems offered. I guess was just naive thinking that navigation was all the same. Probably not alone there. idk..... I guess I just thought it being an off road vehicle, and the cost of said vehicle (48k for my build) navigation would be just that and connected would be the fluf. Maybe I did not know because it was model based and the BD was what I wanted from day 1.

And yes... The third option is okay. For me personally, I don't like it. A built in GPS saves from from planning to DL the maps to a phone.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I needed to clear it up for me. Thank you. Had zero idea there were two nav systems offered. I guess was just naive thinking that navigation was all the same. Probably not alone there. idk..... I guess I just thought it being an off road vehicle, and the cost of said vehicle (48k for my build) navigation would be just that and connected would be the fluf. Maybe I did not know because it was model based and the BD was what I wanted from day 1.
I am admittedly a massive Ford super fan… and yet I 100% agree that the navigation systems Ford offers is stupid and confusing. Drives me insane. How Ford names their technology packages and safety features is probably my single biggest complaint about Ford these days.

—

And just for anyone who comes across this thread in the future, the navigation system is typically tied to the equipment package—not necessarily the model or trim level—on Ford vehicles. On the Bronco specifically… the Mid and High package comes with Connected Navigation, while the Lux package comes with Connected Built-in Navigation.

@jdawg has a Black Diamond, and Black Diamond isn’t available with the Lux package. Which is how I knew he only had the Connected Navigation system.

The reason why you have to pay a subscription for navigation is because it utilizes the AT&T cellular network to function, not unlike how the maps application on your phone functions. This is unlike the older GPS navigation systems, which had all of the maps pre-loaded into the GPS unit and it uses a GPS receiver to track your location on that map.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am admittedly a massive Ford super fan… and yet I 100% agree that the navigation systems Ford offers is stupid and confusing. Drives me insane. How Ford names their technology packages and safety features is probably my single biggest complaint about Ford these days.

—

And just for anyone who comes across this thread in the future, the navigation system is typically tied to the equipment package—not necessarily the model or trim level—on Ford vehicles. On the Bronco specifically… the Mid and High package comes with Connected Navigation, while the Lux package comes with Connected Built-in Navigation.

@jdawg has a Black Diamond, and Black Diamond isn’t available with the Lux package. Which is how I knew he only had the Connected Navigation system.
Hang on... I did get it via my mid package. So..... I am now totally confused. Should I be able to navigate from point a to b because of my package?

Ford Bronco Basic Navigation paywalled - Is this true? 1653409870457

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hang on... I did get it via my mid package. So..... I am now totally confused. Should I be able to navigate from point a to b because of my package?

Ford Bronco Basic Navigation paywalled - Is this true? 1653409870457
Nope... I did not. Mother trucker. It is an add on to the add on. Son of a. And here I thought that I got them all when I ordered.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1653409870457.png
Nope... I did not. Mother trucker. It is an add on to the add on. Son of a. And here I thought that I got them all when I ordered.
Connected Built-in Navigation is not even available on the Mid package. Not sure where that screenshot is from. I’m guessing it is Build & Price. Wouldn’t surprise me if it is because for some reason Ford just can’t make Build & Price accurate—another pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

—

The reason why you have to pay a subscription for navigation is because it utilizes the AT&T cellular network to function, not unlike how the maps application on your phone functions. This is unlike the older GPS navigation systems, which had all of the maps pre-loaded into the GPS unit and it uses a GPS receiver to track your location on that map.
100% right.. it is super confusing and got me. I am kinda BS at this, cause I would have checked that box if it was not so darn confusing. However, you can get it with the black diamond.

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Connected Built-in Navigation is not even available on the Mid package. Not sure where that screenshot is from. I’m guessing it is Build & Price. Wouldn’t surprise me if it is because for some reason Ford just can’t make Build & Price accurate—another pet peeve of mine.

The “bible” for what is available on a vehicle is the Order Guide. Screenshots below.

View attachment 328811

View attachment 328813
Yeah... It was the build and price tool that I got the screen shot from. Everything is clear as mud.
Sponsored