James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for some basic off road recovery gear. I gather I need a recovery strap (vs a tow strap) and two soft shackles, correct?

Do I need D shackles (or whatever they're called) as well?
Sponsored

section525

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
ARB makes some recovery kits that'll at least give you some ideas.

ARB Recovery Kits

I keep a tub in the back of my Superdooty with straps, shackles, battery jumper, air compressor, deflators, and a come-along. Depending on where you plan to go and get stuck will help determine what else you need. I like getting stranded in the snow so I keep a shovel back there too. 😜

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The modular front bumper has the recovery hooks on the front, however they do have a sharp edge to them so not ideal for soft shackles.

Once Archetype racing (@EIGHTLUG) releases their front shackle in Carbonized Grey or Black I'll be picking those up and then using my soft shackles for the kinetic strap.

Traction boards can also be a useful resource depending on what kind of wheeling you're planning on. Snow or beach they're especially useful and can be used as a shovel.

OP
OP

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks all

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have yet to see anyone using one of these.......stump puller
The concept works leveraging upward while forward.
Pulled plenty of stumps in the past with half the effort of a direct pull.
Ford Bronco Basic Recovery Gear? 1642613735446

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The modular front bumper has the recovery hooks on the front, however they do have a sharp edge to them so not ideal for soft shackles.

Once Archetype racing (@EIGHTLUG) releases their front shackle in Carbonized Grey or Black I'll be picking those up and then using my soft shackles for the kinetic strap.

Traction boards can also be a useful resource depending on what kind of wheeling you're planning on. Snow or beach they're especially useful and can be used as a shovel.
The openings below the shackle mount is meant for soft shackles. The hole you're thinking about is to bolt a ring to. 👍🏻

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The openings below the shackle mount is meant for soft shackles. The hole you're thinking about is to bolt a ring to. 👍🏻
That is correct. That area is specifically for soft shackles. If you are new to off roading and don't have a winch, then you should always travel with other vehicles. If traveling with others, then a kinetic strap and a couple of soft shackles will get you out of most situations. IF traveling alone then you need to consider methods of self-recovery i.e. winch, high jack etc. If you go that route, then you will need to add tree straps, a few more soft shackles and a recovery ring. I have a bunch of recovery gear that i custom tailor to each trip depending on the conditions I anticipate encountering. The further you get off the beaten track the more self-sufficent you need to be.

OP
OP

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is correct. That area is specifically for soft shackles. If you are new to off roading and don't have a winch, then you should always travel with other vehicles. If traveling with others, then a kinetic strap and a couple of soft shackles will get you out of most situations. IF traveling alone then you need to consider methods of self-recovery i.e. winch, high jack etc. If you go that route, then you will need to add tree straps, a few more soft shackles and a recovery ring. I have a bunch of recovery gear that i custom tailor to each trip depending on the conditions I anticipate encountering. The further you get off the beaten track the more self-sufficent you need to be.
very helpful and yes, beyond the off-rodeo, i've done nothing. I do not plan on going it alone, at least in the beginning. Thank you!

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

very helpful and yes, beyond the off-rodeo, i've done nothing. I do not plan on going it alone, at least in the beginning. Thank you!
I would suggest going out with other more experienced folks when possible. Depending on where you live there are usually groups you can hook up with. Also, if you frequent popular areas for off-roading then even if you go alone there will be other folks out there to help if you run in to trouble. But as long as you are in an area with cell coverage and the weather is not life threatening then go explore. Just make sure you know how to safely operate any/all recovery gear you have.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A come-along would work better than a hi-lift, and they're cheap. But a lot of work!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ARB makes some recovery kits that'll at least give you some ideas.

ARB Recovery Kits

I keep a tub in the back of my Superdooty with straps, shackles, battery jumper, air compressor, deflators, and a come-along. Depending on where you plan to go and get stuck will help determine what else you need. I like getting stranded in the snow so I keep a shovel back there too. 😜
Hilarious. The weekender gives you a strap and shackles for 140 bucks! Oh, you get free gloves and a bag, too. Must be great gloves and bag.

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A come-along would work better than a hi-lift, and they're cheap. But a lot of work!
Hi-lift's are also a lot more dangerous. Like everything else in life, recovery gear is all about tradeoffs. Cost, weight, size and capabilities.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hilarious. The weekender gives you a strap and shackles for 140 bucks! Oh, you get free gloves and a bag, too. Must be great gloves and bag.
Dead serious: Could you point me at a kit thats a better value?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dead serious: Could you point me at a kit thats a better value?
I just figure I could buy the strap and shackles for less than that? Haven't looked...where I go there ain't no trees within 1/4 mile, some 40 miles! lol But figure I'll carry a strap to help others out when needed.
Sponsored