Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Battery Terminal info unnamed

Does anyone have any info on what's going on here? Are the two open slots un-fused "full output" terminals? I see the little 3 amp fuse there and it makes me wonder if there is more here than meets the eye. One would think they are just accessory terminals and one could hook a winch or in my case an amplifier to either of them.
Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hmmm...first pic of this I have seen. I checked the owners manual and can not find anything. Pull the fuse and use a test light / volt meter and see if all 4 terminals stay hot.

I am guessing the smaller stud by the fuse is connected to the fuse but just a guess.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Following...

OP
OP

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hmmm...first pic of this I have seen. I checked the owners manual and can not find anything. Pull the fuse and use a test light / volt meter and see if all 4 terminals stay hot.

I am guessing the smaller stud by the fuse is connected to the fuse but just a guess.
agreed, I thought maybe the smaller stud was tied to fuse. I’m about to start try to start routing some wires today for the audio system so I will definitely whip out the meter.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

agreed, I thought maybe the smaller stud was tied to fuse. I’m about to start try to start routing some wires today for the audio system so I will definitely whip out the meter.
Any know the sizes of those screw posts around the main post? The ones used for powering accessories

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah that would be interesting. The post without the fuse might be for something like a winch. For anyone who bought the factory installed one, I want to with their battery post look like?

And the one with the fuse looks like a great possibility. I can see replacing that fuse with one a bit higher and using it for something like an amp or whatever. Maybe even a power distribution center inside the Bronco.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And the one with the fuse looks like a great possibility. I can see replacing that fuse with one a bit higher and using it for something like an amp or whatever.
Speaking as a professional electrician—DO NOT DO THAT WITHOUT VERIFYING THAT ALL THE CONDUCTORS INVOLVED ARE UP TO THAT HIGHER CURRENT RATING! It could be that that 3-amp fuse is there because that circuit has conductors that are only adequate to carry three amps.

In fact, I wouldn't advise connecting anything to any of these terminals that is expected to draw very much current, without knowing how much current they are rated to safely supply.

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah that would be interesting. The post without the fuse might be for something like a winch. For anyone who bought the factory installed one, I want to with their battery post look like?

And the one with the fuse looks like a great possibility. I can see replacing that fuse with one a bit higher and using it for something like an amp or whatever. Maybe even a power distribution center inside the Bronco.
I'm guessing that 3 amp fuse is not controlling that terminal, also see Bob Blaylok's post above. I think it may be the supply to the 'smart battery technology' that shuts things down if battery condition falls below certain parameters. Someone who actually has a Bronco might be able to verify.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you get the auxiliary switches? I'm curious if all Broncos have that

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Speaking as a professional electrician—DO NOT DO THAT WITHOUT VERIFYING THAT ALL THE CONDUCTORS INVOLVED ARE UP TO THAT HIGHER CURRENT RATING! It could be that that 3-amp fuse is there because that circuit has conductors that are only adequate to carry three amps.

In fact, I wouldn't advise connecting anything to any of these terminals that is expected to draw very much current, without knowing how much current they are rated to safely supply.
Of course, if that fuse is powering anything. But from the picture it looked like the fuse was simply for that open post that had nothing on it. So any wiring coming off the battery you would be installing and could be as thick as needed.

Now if it turns out that fuse is powering something besides that empty post, then absolutely, don't replace the fuse with anything higher rated.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a matter of fact, now that I'm looking at this picture even better, what do you do if you replace your battery with something different, like an optima. Are we locked into a specific style of battery terminals? I can't completely tell but it seems as if the battery is molded to allow a ledge for this distribution connection to fit.

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have a warn winch and amp lead connected to those terminals and have no issues yet .

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No not at all a worry. That whole thing is one piece that sits on top of the battery.

Ford Bronco Battery Terminal info unnamed
That's what I mean. It doesn't look like it sits on top of the battery, it kind of sits in a cut out area specifically designed into the battery casing.

Most batteries don't have that cutout. As long as the post is close enough to the edge that this thing can dangle off the side of a standard battery, there may have to be some creative hookups down the road as people replace their factory setup.

CPTRK

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I pulled the 3A fuse and all 4 terminals remain hot - so that fuse does not control the 4 posts. I noticed that there is a small wire leaving from below the fuse area - didn't test it because it's all wrapped but I'm pretty sure that's the line the fuse is connected. Probably some device/monitor/smart battery something that does not have it's own fuse in the main fuse box.

I used post 4 (the farthest to test some LED pods (3A total - no problems) - will use same post to power my 42" windshield light bar (20A) when I get it.
Sponsored