Sponsored

Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?)

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey, why is it the guys with the orange ones always come up with the best stuff?

Disclaimer: I'm cheap and I like to over think stuff.

After farting around in the garage I came up with this thing, It's a simple door rack that will hold 2 of the 4 doors in the cargo area without bags. It's essentially 2x4s covered with automotive trim carpet. I'm in for about $40 at this point. Once in the cargo area, I put the scrap carpet between the doors and ran a single ratchet strap from the center car seat anchor across the front and to the left (as not to have the metal ratchet on the paint).
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1117
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1119

Here's how to do it.

1. Cut all the 2x4 lengths as shown. 2. Take the side pieces and cut some dados as indicated.
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1117
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1104
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1105

3. Assemble the box using lap joints at the rear corners and cut notches in the front. 4. Spray paint the back black for cool points.
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1109
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1110

5. Wrap with automotive carpet ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07175S25Q?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9BZH68EHS2VWKZRP0T84), staple in place on the bottom and your done!

Loading:
1. Put on a flannel shirt and tight tuck black jeans, open the swing gate to full extension.
2. Attach hook from ratchet strap to center carseat anchor.
3. Remove the driver door, put it diagonally in the cargo area leading with the left side and placing the paint forward. Watch the black rubber part on the top for clearance and the swing gate posts.
4. Hang the remaining carpet between the doors with a gear tie or whatever works.
5. Diagonally place the front passenger door in the cargo area leading with the left.
6. Attach the ratchet scrap across the bottom.
7. Drink $1460 of beer and go wheeling with all the money you saved not buying door bags.
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1121
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1120
Ford Bronco Batting .500 - DIY Onboard door storage rack for 4D soft top  (holds 2 doors, two out of four isn't bad?) IMG_1119

You might be able to get all 4 back there if you redesigned the spacing, I was just looking to take the fronts off for the drive to work so it wasn't worth the extra effort. The clearances are very tight even when only adding 3/4" of height. If you want to drop all 4 doors and leave them in the garage check out my DIY door cart ( https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/diy-door-cart.7026/post-1399299 ). If anyone manufactures this for money, send me a PM, I'd like a small cut and a couple free ones. Feel free to post other ideas or improvements.

Cheers,

J

IMG_1119.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website