Sponsored

BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference?

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking at the BD but wanted to know what the non-Sasquatch "Badlands Suspension" consists of beyond the sway bar disconnect for the extra bucks. BD is already getting the "HOSS" (High Performance Off Road Stability Suspension) right? Searched the forums without much luck other than "Bilstein shocks". Can anyone advise?
Sponsored

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For one, the BL has the most wheel travel of any suspension.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Badlands has the same suspension as the Sasquatch package: M210 Dana AdvanTEK front suspension

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not the same. SQ Badlands sits about an inch higher than a non Squatch after accounting for tire size difference. Speculation is that SQ has taller and/or stiffer springs, but Ford has not released the details.
A new thread on this topic pops up about every week. I'd say "Search" but we still don't have details. So we will all have to wait.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a lot of "stuff" under the description of "suspension" the things I see is yes Bilstein shocks but also sway bar disconnect, M210 front axel with locker, 32.7 inch tires, not sure about springs, the M210 with locker is why I jumped up to BL from the BD.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Badlands has the same suspension as the Sasquatch package: M210 Dana AdvanTEK front suspension
I was under the impression that there was some type of "limiting factor" on the Sasquatch that is not on the BL. Something about .4-.7 inches worth.

OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not the same. SQ Badlands sits about an inch higher than a non Squatch after accounting for tire size difference. Speculation is that SQ has taller and/or stiffer springs, but Ford has not released the details.
A new thread on this topic pops up about every week. I'd say "Search" but we still don't have details. So we will all have to wait.
Yeah and most, if not all, are comparing BL to BL with Sasquatch. I guess my question is simply "What is the Badlands Suspension?" and then, what is the noticeable difference as compared to a trim like the BD in a DD or mild offroad scenario?

Last edited:

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah and most, if not all, are comparing BL to BL with Sasquatch. I guess my question is simply "What is the Badlands Suspension?" and then, what is the noticeable difference as compared to a BD in a DD or mild offroad scenario>
I would love this information, but it's starting to look like we may not get it in detail. Hopefully we do sometime.

OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would love this information, but it's starting to look like we may not get it in detail. Hopefully we do sometime.
Yeah, I hear ya loud and clear. Aggravating.

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah and most, if not all, are comparing BL to BL with Sasquatch. I guess my question is simply "What is the Badlands Suspension?" and then, what is the noticeable difference as compared to a BD in a DD or mild offroad scenario>
For DD and moderate off-roading you may only notice a small difference due to the difference in shocks. The wheel travel and front locker of the BL wouldn't even be a factor. I've spent hours pouring over the BD and BL. I decided to just get the one with the interior i like the best. Either one will be awesome.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For DD and moderate off-roading you may only notice a small difference due to the difference in shocks. The wheel travel and front locker of the BL wouldn't even be a factor. I've spent hours pouring over the BD and BL. I decided to just get the one with the interior i like the best. Either one will be awesome.
I'm with you there and somewhat relieved (to be honest) that I'm not alone in that regard. I'm trying to convince myself that its Ok to not get the biggest and baddest rig I can afford. Truth is I am not going rock crawling or out to Moab. Its a beach buggy at best. BD has the blue interior accents (vs orange in BL) which I prefer and I like the steel stock wheels. I'm with you, BD is going to be pretty damn bad ass in its own right I think.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm with you there and somewhat relieved (to be honest) that I'm not alone in that regard. I'm trying to convince myself that its Ok to not get the biggest and baddest rig I can afford. Truth is I am not going rock crawling or out to Moab. Its a beach buggy at best. BD has the blue interior accents (vs orange in BL) which I prefer and I like the steel stock wheels. I'm with you, BD is going to be pretty damn bad ass in its own right I think.
I hear ya. I've been a fast car guy my entire life and i want to branch out with the bronco. I've always struggled with not buying the most loaded vehicle i can afford because other people who are passionate in the arena do it and it seems like i need to as well. I'm just starting out and i feel the BD will be a great entry point into exploring more remote places. I'm not drawn to by the big rocks, so i just need something that can handle some regular driving around town/work but also just getting my family to some harder to reach places and just basic exploring.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Truth is I am not going rock crawling or out to Moab.....

Do yourself a favor and check out Moab. Vehicles with no lockers at all go all the time. Lots of easy trails available to just cruise in 4hi and 2WD.
Ford Bronco BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference? 0B24941F-83F9-47A6-9382-FDB80B9E585D

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do yourself a favor and check out Moab. Vehicles with no lockers at all go all the time. Lots of easy trails available to just cruise in 4hi and 2WD.
Ford Bronco BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference? 0B24941F-83F9-47A6-9382-FDB80B9E585D
This is what I'm taking about... just getting out there and exploring. I know to hardcore guys that could be lame and not intense enough, but it looks like heaven to me.