Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was impressive, that thing took a beating and a quality ocean submersion

I guess that Sport can wait until the 30,000 mile servicing
That video has me rethinking the Black Diamonds "wash-out" floors...
Sponsored

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yaā€¦ so a few thoughts- first off Iā€™ve put a fair amount of miles down in this area. That unreal trail network to the west is awesome and has all kinds of slick rock features and play areas. But itā€™s unforgivingā€¦

You need to have a good grasp of the trail system and solid offline maps to navigate out with. If youā€™re coming out past sunset youā€™d better have legit lighting, not OE headlights. Those beams wash out on the desert backdrop in what feels like 50 ft. I really wouldnā€™t be surprised if they were driving at a reasonable speed and their view of the trail just washed out on them in the low light. Happens ore easily than youā€™d think when youā€™re on very poorly defined trails with very little use compared to high use or organized/controlled environments.

Which brings me to my next thoughtā€¦ Iā€™m super glad you and your passengers made it out safely, but in all candor I would personally NEVER have taken a stock Bronco Sport into this area.

Now in fairness it looks like maybe the driver was just dipping his toe in the water so to speak. I hope thatā€™s the case. There are a series of dirt trails like this that stick close to the Mesa top and then a ridge line that takes you down into the actual shit. Looks like he was using some some common sense and trying to just mess around up topā€¦

The off road recovery gang did an awesome job, but thatā€™s a dangerous place for a recovery and if you are ever unable to recover there are in fact professional off road recovery services that will tow your ass out like Mattā€™s Recovery style that work in this area (for all I know theyā€™re on the FB response team). Hiking for cell service when youā€™re deep in this area is a different issue altogetherā€¦

All that said Iā€™m just glad that they rolled where they rolled. When I saw the post I immediately thought they went over off the main ridge spine coming in/out (if you know, ya know). THAT spot looks like MadMax with about a dozen bullet-riddled vehicles at the bottom of a 50-75ft drop with probably pretty bad survival odds.

Glad everyone was safe in the end. And yes, it is impressive that the car started, but I agree with the other posters that this was certainty a totaled vehicle.
Sponsored