Be careful with your RTR Spare Tire Carrier

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I sent them a note asking for an update and they're speaking with engineering tomorrow.
He said I'll have an update no later than tomorrow afternoon regarding next steps.
RTR is on it.
Sponsored

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Getting rivets from RTR to install.
Check their response:

In speaking with engineering earlier, our steel supplier for the Spare Tire Carrier and a few other components we offer had changed a few months back. With this change, it was found that the Spare Tire Carrier hub diameter is slightly larger than the earlier stock prior to changing suppliers. Because of this slightly larger diameter, the button head screws provided will not clear the OEM wheels. A unit from this newer production was installed on one of our Bronco's in house to ensure quality and fitment, but this Bronco already had RTR wheels installed, and they clear without an issue.

Engineering has provided a solution to utilize 5/32" aluminum rivets to secure the reverse camera assembly as this will not only look better cosmetically, but also have a much lower profile than the supplied button head screws. This will allow the spare wheel/tire to be removed and reinstalled without interference.

TimboSlice

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hell if anything, instead of using screws for the camera, pop a couple of rivets in there and be good to go.
Heard back from RTR engineering and they suggested rivets as well! Hopefully that will work and I'll let them know that you came up with the idea first haha.

TimboSlice

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting rivets from RTR to install.
Check their response:

In speaking with engineering earlier, our steel supplier for the Spare Tire Carrier and a few other components we offer had changed a few months back. With this change, it was found that the Spare Tire Carrier hub diameter is slightly larger than the earlier stock prior to changing suppliers. Because of this slightly larger diameter, the button head screws provided will not clear the OEM wheels. A unit from this newer production was installed on one of our Bronco's in house to ensure quality and fitment, but this Bronco already had RTR wheels installed, and they clear without an issue.

Engineering has provided a solution to utilize 5/32" aluminum rivets to secure the reverse camera assembly as this will not only look better cosmetically, but also have a much lower profile than the supplied button head screws. This will allow the spare wheel/tire to be removed and reinstalled without interference.
Got the same email today. Hopefully it works! There's not much play there so I'm trying to be optimistic

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only issue with rivets is if you ever need to disconnect the camera you'll have to drill them out. I wonder if you could find some lower profile hardware.

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The only issue with rivets is if you ever need to disconnect the camera you'll have to drill them out. I wonder if you could find some lower profile hardware.
Yes you would have to drill em out. But rivets are designed to be drilled out, and the process is very quick and painless without damaging anything. So should not be an issue. Rivets are going to be the lowest profile solution there is.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed my carrier and really like it but have a few complaints. Does yours hit the body at the hinge area if you open the tailgate all the way (I noticed before I actually hit the body). I ditched those lug nuts. Never been a fan of them and since they didn’t come with the special socket I’m not buying one. Also had some issues with cheap hardware breaking on the hi lift mount and not sure I like how the antenna mounts are designed (probably gonna modify them).
Do you have the limiter installed?

I was parked on a hill after first installing the kit without the limiter and didn't realize it would swing all the way open and it dented the quarter panel. With the limiter now there are no issues.

I think RTR needs to include the limiter with the kit or make it mandatory you buy them together.

20220919_115924.jpg

Murph56789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos/F350s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have the limiter installed?

I was parked on a hill after first installing the kit without the limiter and didn't realize it would swing all the way open and it dented the quarter panel. With the limiter now there are no issues.

I think RTR needs to include the limiter with the kit or make it mandatory you buy them together.

20220919_115924.jpg
I still haven’t installed it, but hopefully will within the next few days. I realized the size torx bit I needed was the size I broke from my kit. Just bought a new one yesterday.
And they should definitely include it as part of the kit. Kind of necessary.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing wrong with tack welding fasteners. It’s routinely done on nuts and bolts for machines that crush, grind, shred, or shake. When it’s time to remove the fastener, the tack weld is simply ground off.
Took my spare tire off yesterday, 10,000 mile rotation. The carrier assembly seemed to be engineered plastic. So…can’t tack weld those particular fasteners.

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took my spare tire off yesterday, 10,000 mile rotation. The carrier assembly seemed to be engineered plastic. So…can’t tack weld those particular fasteners.
The stock carrier is plastic. RTR stuff is steel I believe.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stock carrier is plastic. RTR stuff is steel I believe.
Thanks. I’ll check it out more carefully next tire rotation…or if I have a flat.

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I asked about the scratched up tire carrier since I was basically fighting with it to get it off for about 5 minutes.
They're sending me a new tire carrier as well!
RTR has been great to work with. Only took a couple days for them to have engineering look at the situation and come up with a solution. VERY pleased with the response and how they're taking care of me.

TimboSlice

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ohh that's a good idea. I may also ask them to send me one as well.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without having to hear everyone's opinion on hi lift jacks, I'd like to ask this fine group of faithful RTR spare tire people how they would go about creating a solution to not have to pay RTR $300 w/ tax for their stupid hi lift bracket

What I like about it is it keeps the jack somewhat hidden. I don't even care if the bracket I find/create is not black cause no one will ever see it.

I assume i would just need to mount some make shift bracket to the upper bolts on the carrier.

WebImage3_73e9f397-cb4d-4c5c-8138-f63a90e2385d_5000x.jpg

WebImage1_732e5431-9166-4f84-9b7a-cc7533b9d867_5000x.jpg

20230526_114004.jpg

FieryBronco

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I accidently pinched the extension wire for the rear camera when installing mine. Luckily an extension cable from a jeep wrangler fits with just a box cutter mod to trim the tabs off.
Sponsored