Sponsored

Beach Bronco - What are Your Must Haves & Don't Needs in a New Ride?

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In spec-ing out a Bronco for primary coastal road/beach/dune driving what do folks think are the "must haves" and the "don't needs" putting aesthetics aside? Tire/wheel size?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only thing I would want for that would be the washout interior On the black diamond. The badlands would be overkill if thatā€™s all your going to do with it.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe get the Sasquatch package to give you wider tires and better clearance. Although, you could do both of those things on your own after purchase with a lift and bigger tires.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the wildtrak would be a good match but it doesnā€™t allow for vinyl seats and rubber floors which is a must for a beach cruiser. Then again I donā€™t have any beaches near me so it is a non issue and probably why I am clueless as well.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it hasn't been listed yet, but I'm hoping they offer a factory ARB air compressor for airing up / down for the sand.

Sponsored

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Black Diamond with Sasquatch I think would be ideal for the beach.
Wash out interior I think would be very helpful.
35" tires would give you a little more clearance and a wider foot print. Less likely to sink and get stuck in the sand.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My Wildtrak will be seeing a lot of sand so All Weather Mats are a day 1 purchase.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wide non-aggressive tires. 33ā€tall 12.5ā€wide
Or 35x12.5 donā€™t go aggressive!
!!!Onboard Air!!! Donā€™t run over 20PSI in sand.

Last edited:

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are doing a lot of sand/beach driving, tire size doesn't matter too much. The 33" tires will work fine. I would also say that A/T's and M/T's will both be capable so don't stress too much over which tire option you choose.

As someone said before, getting an air-compressor to air up and air down your tires is really important on the beach. I'd also recommend traction mats/board. Ford sells them on the "ford performance website." They are a great recovery tool.

The only thing that I would potentially recommend is getting the "beadlock capable" wheels that are available on the Badlands or the Sasquatch package. If you are new to off-roading, beadlock wheels will lock the tire bead in place using bolts, rather than using tire pressure. This will greatly decrease the amount you can air down to which will provide better traction on sand. While you can do basic sand and beach driving without beadlocks, if you plan on doing intense maneuvers at higher speeds, they are necessary. Ford sells beadlock rings which make the beadlock capable wheels have beadlocks. While I wouldn't say they are absolutely necessary, it is nice to have the option in case one day you decide to do more intense sand driving.

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know it hasn't been listed yet, but I'm hoping they offer a factory ARB air compressor for airing up / down for the sand.
I just saw this morning, Ford performance has an ARB onboard air kit for $369. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not since I am a total newb when it comes to the off-raod toys.

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I echo the washout interior.....Black Diamond seems like a good target, even without Sasquatch....we used to roll the dunes easily in an old stock Cherokee Chief aired down

The stock BD steel wheels are likely more prone to rust (over time....not instantly since they are painted) if you're getting a lot of salt water exposure so maybe the aluminum upgrade if you don't add Sasquatch

Maybe one of the expected options for a Bimini or mesh shade top for the front so you can stack some surf-body-skim boards in the back if that's your thing unless you're adding a rack

Just add some Roth-era Van Halen and you're set for the beach

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just saw this morning, Ford performance has an ARB onboard air kit for $369. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not since I am a total newb when it comes to the off-raod toys.
Looking at the ARB website the price for just the compressor is $299; so if it's $369 installed w/ factory warranty I'd say that's a deal.

Edit: But I'm also a newb.

OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I echo the washout interior.....Black Diamond seems like a good target, even without Sasquatch....we used to roll the dunes easily in an old stock Cherokee Chief aired down

The stock BD steel wheels are likely more prone to rust (over time....not instantly since they are painted) if you're getting a lot of salt water exposure so maybe the aluminum upgrade if you don't add Sasquatch

Maybe one of the expected options for a Bimini or mesh shade top for the front so you can stack some surf-body-skim boards in the back if that's your thing unless you're adding a rack

Just add some Roth-era Van Halen and you're set for the beach
Get in, Waldo!
Sponsored