Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Anyone know what the Use Scenario would be for Beadlock Capable wheels?

1) Doing daily driving, I have my stock tires and beauty rings

2) Weekend: I want to go off road !

A) Go to a tire shop with my Beadlock Rings, pay them to:

1) Remove beauty rings
2) Unseat the tire
3) Install the Beadlock ring
4) Re-inflate - then I drive to the trailhead
5) Deflate / Play
6) Re-inflate
7) Drive back to the tire shop
8) Remove Beadlock Rings
9) Remount tire on rim
10) Inflate
11) Reinstall beauty ring

B) Do the same as above but with 4 actual off-road tires you take with you to the tire shop...

C) Buy this and do most of the steps at home on your own.... realistic?
** Do people take these manual tire changers - to the trailhead??

Ford Bronco Beadlock Capable Wheels - Use Scenario? 1612207802253
Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are into off road, then you put on the bead locks and run them full time. Ford will not tell you to do so because they are not DOT rated and lability reasons. Bead locks are safe if you maintain them (check torque on bolts).

Ford is not going to suggest the gen pop of our society to be anything other than the nut behind the wheel.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are into off road, then you put on the bead locks and run them full time. Ford will not tell you to do so because they are not DOT rated and lability reasons. Bead locks are safe if you maintain them (check torque on bolts).

Ford is not going to suggest the gen pop of our society to be anything other than the nut behind the wheel.
This. Nothing wrong with running the full beadlock as long you maintain them properly.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yup. You either want/need beadlocks or you don't. Swapping them out like that would make no sense. Run beadlocks full time and be prepared to be responsible enough to maintain them and realize that you are not technically street legal. Or keep multiple sets of wheels/tires on hand.

Or the realistic choice for most people- don't run beadlocks. There is no need unless you are airing down reeeaalll low.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Yup. You either want/need beadlocks or you don't. Swapping them out like that would make no sense. Run beadlocks full time and be prepared to be responsible enough to maintain them and realize that you are not technically street legal. Or keep multiple sets of wheels/tires on hand.

Or the realistic choice for most people- don't run beadlocks. There is no need unless you are airing down reeeaalll low.
Like how low -- before you need beadlocks?
20psi?
Is there a general rule for activity / psi?

Sand : 15-20 psi (NO BEADLOCK REQUIRED)
Mud : 10-15 psi (NO BEADLOCK REQUIRED)
Rock Hopping : 5-10 psi (NEED BEADLOCK)

Ford Bronco Beadlock Capable Wheels - Use Scenario? 1612210282973

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all due respect to the higher ups, the bead lock "capable" wheels are a marketing tool. It is not a legitimate feature or option.

If you are going to run the rig on road you don't need/want bead locks. If you're going to run off road, you need them very very seldom, almost never. A person that really needs bead locks, and doesn't just want to have the "look" of bead locks, would just buy a second set of wheels, the wheels they want. There is no reason for a big-3 manufacturer to offer bead lock capable wheels except as a marketing "gimmick".

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
With all due respect to the higher ups, the bead lock "capable" wheels are a marketing tool. It is not a legitimate feature or option.

If you are going to run the rig on road you don't need/want bead locks. If you're going to run off road, you need them very very seldom, almost never. A person that really needs bead locks, and doesn't just want to have the "look" of bead locks, would just buy a second set of wheels, the wheels they want. There is no reason for a big-3 manufacturer to offer bead lock capable wheels except as a marketing "gimmick".
Amen, agree 1000%

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is no reason for a big-3 manufacturer to offer bead lock capable wheels except as a marketing "gimmick".
I'm not sure if I agree with you. I'm looking forward to not having to replace the rims. Tired of buying aftermarket rims and having the factory ones sit in my shop for years. Ford have offered a rim wide enough to run 37's and a bead lock if desired. Money saver if you ask me. I don't care about rim looks, just the capability.

On the other hand, I have not seen the actual design of these "bead lock capable" rims.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure if I agree with you. I'm looking forward to not having to replace the rims. Tired of buying aftermarket rims and having the factory ones sit in my shop for years. Ford have offered a rim wide enough to run 37's and a bead lock if desired. Money saver if you ask me. I don't care about rim looks, just the capability.

On the other hand, I have not seen the actual design of these "bead lock capable" rims.
I guess if you are getting sasquach, you're stuck with factory beadlock capable
So I could see why you would just stick with it

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like how low -- before you need beadlocks?
20psi?
Is there a general rule for activity / psi?

Sand : 15-20 psi (NO BEADLOCK REQUIRED)
Mud : 10-15 psi (NO BEADLOCK REQUIRED)
Rock Hopping : 5-10 psi (NEED BEADLOCK)

Ford Bronco Beadlock Capable Wheels - Use Scenario? 1612210282973
Like single digit low. I've aired down to between 12-15psi on regular wheels for years without trouble.

The only uses case would be extreme rock crawling where the extra bit of tire wrapped around a rock will make the difference between making it over or not.

99.8% of people have no need for beadlocks.

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m going Sasquatch and will run beadlock rings 100% of the time. I currently do. I change them myself in the garage as is. Once you get the hang of it, it’s not a terrible job. They aren’t for everyone, that’s for sure. I’ve been using the weight of the Jeep to break the inner bead with good luck. 😂
keep in mind, this is a 115lb wheel and tire. It’s a workout. Lol.

Ford Bronco Beadlock Capable Wheels - Use Scenario? BB37F4E7-E43A-44FA-9615-811A603D71A9

Ford Bronco Beadlock Capable Wheels - Use Scenario? DEB53C68-DF81-4AED-9D44-63AEC775BCD4

Ford Bronco Beadlock Capable Wheels - Use Scenario? 78083813-929E-4D89-8A31-8AD97D0DE114

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Maybe you "need" them. Based on my trim and upgrading to the Sasquatch package, I can save almost $1k by purchasing aftermarket. For me, if I "needed" them, I'd rather buy them for less money.

That being said, you must be the one person out of thousands that will need them. I've wanted them for years, but told myself I'd wait until I lost a bead, and that would be the moment I spent the $ for bead locks. I haven't lost a bead yet.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Anyone know what the Use Scenario would be for Beadlock Capable wheels?

1) Doing daily driving, I have my stock tires and beauty rings

2) Weekend: I want to go off road !

A) Go to a tire shop with my Beadlock Rings, pay them to:

1) Remove beauty rings
2) Unseat the tire
3) Install the Beadlock ring
4) Re-inflate - then I drive to the trailhead
5) Deflate / Play
6) Re-inflate
7) Drive back to the tire shop
8) Remove Beadlock Rings
9) Remount tire on rim
10) Inflate
11) Reinstall beauty ring

B) Do the same as above but with 4 actual off-road tires you take with you to the tire shop...

C) Buy this and do most of the steps at home on your own.... realistic?
** Do people take these manual tire changers - to the trailhead??
Nobody has mentioned this in the thread yet, but you actually can't do A in your list above unless they actually will work with beadlock wheels, and that is certianly not many locations.

Discount Tire: Won't touch them
Sears: Out of Business
Costco: Won't touch them
Name some other national chains...... Probably won't touch them.

So your cost goes up proportionally when you have to hit the offroad shop to do the work.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has the actual design of the "bead lock capable" been made available? Pics or drawings?
Sponsored