Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So there are those of us who are still old school in thinking that the first oil change should be way before what the factory has scheduled. (Somewhere between 1500 and 3500 miles). I know a lot of you young guys will chuckle and say its completely unnecessary, BUT ...

Anyway, my thinking is that on the 2.7L since the filter is on top and easy to reach, why change the oil and the filter and why not just change the filter ONLY? Assuming all particles and remaining metal chips/burrs will get caught in the filter and not make it back down to the oil pan, then changing the filter alone should suffice.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Filters are not 100% protection. Any possible sizable metal chunks may not make it to the filter and will collect in the pan. I'd want to inspect for any debris.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what little work and cost it is to change the oil, why not just do an oil change if you think its necessary? I'll be changing mine early, even thought I've seen proof its safe to wait for normal interval the first oil change, but I won't be skipping anything, it'll get oil filter and all the levels rechecked (axles, transfer case, etc). I feel this is more important, especially if you don't know if you dealer checked all these things at pre-delivery, anymore its very rare to find one low, but I still check them at pre-delivery, its on the lift anyway so why not.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll change the oil like I normally do on any new car I have ever purchased. First one at between 2500 and 3K miles and every 4-5 K after based on the oil life meter. I'll let it go down to 30-40%, never lower. Everyone has their own idea on how they do oil changes. I see some comments on other forums people change the oil at 500 and 1K miles. I think that is way too soon. Also I always change the oils and filter- never one or the other. I have never had any engine issues with my oil change frequency and my vehicles always have run perfectly.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is the 2.7 on bronco going to use the crappy plastic oil pan still and have they fixed them so they don’t leak oil like the f150 ones I read about

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

1-2k depending on when the engine frees up. then full sny and quality low micron filter at the computers request.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
what is the normal mileage/time for the broncos? my M4 is once every 12 months/10k miles.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

what is the normal mileage/time for the broncos? my M4 is once every 12 months/10k miles.
The Bronco will use Synthetic oil and is advertised as 10,000 mile change intervals ......since its a twin turbo and DI I will not exceed 7500 miles before i change the oil regardless of what Ford claims .... i might even install an oil catch can

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For what little work and cost it is to change the oil, why not just do an oil change if you think its necessary? I'll be changing mine early, even thought I've seen proof its safe to wait for normal interval the first oil change, but I won't be skipping anything, it'll get oil filter and all the levels rechecked (axles, transfer case, etc). I feel this is more important, especially if you don't know if you dealer checked all these things at pre-delivery, anymore its very rare to find one low, but I still check them at pre-delivery, its on the lift anyway so why not.
well, i figure i can just change the filter in my garage without having to take it in, but the question is whether that's enough or should I change the oil as well?

Last edited:

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Never had a vehicle with the oil filter on top. And I quit changing my own oil and filters about 25 years ago.

When the engine is off, does any oil reside in the filter on the top? I would expect not, but also not going to assume.

Sponsored
OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Never had a vehicle with the oil filter on top. And I quit changing my own oil and filters about 25 years ago.

When the engine is off, does any oil reside in the filter on the top? I would expect not, but also not going to assume.
in theory the oil will drain down when the engine is off but in actuality the filter will retain some in the paper body

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am old school and have followed the same program with every new vehicle I have owned regardless of make. At 500 miles the oil & filter are changed. I then switch to a full synthetic. I then change at 2500-3000 intervals. I don't care if the oil MFG says is can go 5k, 10k, or beyond. It is cheap insurance.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So there are those of us who are still old school in thinking that the first oil change should be way before what the factory has scheduled. (Somewhere between 1500 and 3500 miles). I know a lot of you young guys will chuckle and say its completely unnecessary, BUT ...

Anyway, my thinking is that on the 2.7L since the filter is on top and easy to reach, why change the oil and the filter and why not just change the filter ONLY? Assuming all particles and remaining metal chips/burrs will get caught in the filter and not make it back down to the oil pan, then changing the filter alone should suffice.

Any thoughts?
I will follow manufacturer recommendations as specified in the manual. I can't imagine why they would not recommend something that was needed. This has always served me well, as I have never, ever had major engine work on any vehicle I've owned. No internal work at all. I don't try to pretend I know more than the engineers.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

just remember, if you replace just a filter, you'll still need to add oil as the filter holds oil in the elements. imo, you're better off just replacing the oil. any particles that haven't passed through the filter and are still lingering in the oil and oil pan should come out. don't half ass it.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First oil change on my 2020 Honda Passport was at 9k miles per Honda. I'm in my mid 30's so maybe my thought process is a little different but here goes ... if a car manufacture has a reminder that comes on at 9k, 6k or 3k I'm going to trust them and bring it in when the reminder comes on and not worry about it prior to that. More than likely that first oil change will be while the truck is under warranty and I won't have to question the idea of waiting 3-9k miles for my first oil change.

FWIW my KTM requests oil changes every 9300 miles and that thing sees much more of a beating than my Passport :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored