Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP: yes, oil retains microscopic particles, shavings and dirt as well. Think of it like it’s own filtering system at a much smaller level. This is the reason why your oil never comes out the same color that it goes in...
Sponsored

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mines gonna be a lease. Gonna drive it like I stole it for 3-4 years and take it back hot and wet!

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's also the debate on synthetic vs blend for the first 5k miles or so. Used to the blend with different size molecules helped smooth the engine parts and fit together nicely. They say now with the new machining processes it's not necessary. Conflicts everywhere....

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's also the debate on synthetic vs blend for the first 5k miles or so. Used to the blend with different size molecules helped smooth the engine parts and fit together nicely. They say now with the new machining processes it's not necessary. Conflicts everywhere....
Yeah, I've heard that and don't buy it. Factory fill on my '99 Corvette was Mobil 1 synthetic. Can't imagine manufacturers have regressed in their machining since then.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the logic in ignoring what Ford recommends for oil changes?
Paranoia? Belief that personal knowledge is better than experts? Anecdotal evidence?

I mentioned previously that I've never had to do engine work in any of my vehicles. I could add further I can't remember anyone I know having to, either.

'My last word on the subject: oil change intervals have gotten longer and longer, yet engines have become more reliable and longer-lasting.

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Paranoia? Belief that personal knowledge is better than experts? Anecdotal evidence?

I mentioned previously that I've never had to do engine work in any of my vehicles. I could add further I can't remember anyone I know having to, either.
Thats what I figured, but was wondering if there was a legitimate reason 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thats what I figured, but was wondering if there was a legitimate reason 🤷‍♂️
Ford EXPERTS not too long ago were not going to admit that DI engines had oil blow back .... they did some improvements on making the 2.7 PI and DI but left the 2.3 as DI ..... and all of the changes occured after and because of customer complaints. Now having said that and knowing that Ford EXPERTS know about the problem, why do you think they didn't install an oil catch can on the 2.3 at least? do you think such a high pressure engine doesn't need a little extra TLC?
My initial post was about whether on the first EARLY oil change i could get away with just changing the oil filter and not the oil itself?

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Change the oil with the filter. Don’t forget the differentials, it’s more important to get the run in fluid out of those. It will be silver gray with metal then fill them with Amsoil Severe Gear and never worry about them again. Probably wont have drain plugs. Pull the covers and throw them away. Get diff covers that have plugs and a dip stick. All set.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Change the oil with the filter. Don’t forget the differentials, it’s more important to get the run in fluid out of those. It will be silver gray with metal then fill them with Amsoil Severe Gear and never worry about them again. Probably wont have drain plugs. Pull the covers and throw them away. Get diff covers that have plugs and a dip stick. All set.
I have never EVER done that! Is that a thing in the offroad community? does it need its own thread?

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have never EVER done that! Is that a thing in the offroad community? does it need its own thread?
No, it’s a thing in general automotive maintenance. Differentials are the most neglected service item on a vehicle and wrongfully so.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm doing mine every 5k. It's just easier to keep track whenever the ODO hits a divisible of 5. Plus I barely put any mileage on my personal cars so depending on how things go I may be changing it sooner than that based on time.

You can never hurt your engine by changing your oil too early.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
in theory the oil will drain down when the engine is off but in actuality the filter will retain some in the paper body
Filters are equipped with anti drain back flap valves.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No, it’s a thing in general automotive maintenance. Differentials are the most neglected service item on a vehicle and wrongfully so.
I always buy NEW and usually put around 150 -175k miles on my vehicles before i start thinking about getting another one. I've never changed the diff covers, cuz I've never been advised to do so. Now its hard to break old habits, but I guess I have a lot of reading to do!!

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always buy NEW and usually put around 150 -175k miles on my vehicles before i start thinking about getting another one. I've never changed the diff covers, cuz I've never been advised to do so. Now its hard to break old habits, but I guess I have a lot of reading to do!!
The reasons to change the covers are there are probably no drain plugs to service, no gaskets to reseal, more capacity with aftermarket covers. A good aftermarket cover like Mag Hi tech will use an o-ring to seal to the housing.
Sponsored