Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No, it’s a thing in general automotive maintenance. Differentials are the most neglected service item on a vehicle and wrongfully so.
Diffs are very often overlooked. Pop the fill plug every service and check the level at the minimum.

Want to hear maintenance schedules on a Class 8 semi truck? I guarantee it'll blow your mind. A teaser is that differential oil change intervals are 750,000 miles for line haul trucks.
Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Diffs are very often overlooked. Pop the fill plug every service and check the level at the minimum.

Want to hear maintenance schedules on a Class 8 semi truck? I guarantee it'll blow your mind. A teaser is that differential oil change intervals are 750,000 miles for line haul trucks.
Yes, the larger the units, the longer the intervals, more fluid, bigger filters. My 6.0 Power Stroke goes 15K, with a filter change and oil analysis every 7500 miles.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reasons to change the covers are there are probably no drain plugs to service, no gaskets to reseal, more capacity with aftermarket covers. A good aftermarket cover like Mag Hi tech will use an o-ring to seal to the housing.
Thank goodness they're only $250+ per cover! Unlike the Banks covers that are $400... Dear lord

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

the more i read about this the more I see that it applies to super duty trucks or higher .... haven't seen any examples of diff covers changed on sedans or regular suv's and med pickups

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2023 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been a fleet manager for over 30 years and now a owner of a Heavy equipment repair business Current Fleet has over 100 Ford Trucks and 100 pieces of Cat Equipment. Maintenance is the difference in a vehicle's longevity. I service all pieces in my fleet BEFORE the manufacturer"s recommendation. My gas trucks at 3000, Diesels at 5 and equipment at 200 hrs.
Just my opinion

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the more i read about this the more I see that it applies to super duty trucks or higher .... haven't seen any examples of diff covers changed on sedans or regular suv's and med pickups
Reasons people change diff covers, using Jeep as an example:
* After market items are sometimes stronger
* Stock may not have drain plug or location is less than optimum
* Stock's design/shape more prone to dragging/catching than after market
* After market looks cooler

There's lots of options out there but, as one example, here's an offering from Poison Spyder:
https://shop.poisonspyder.com/Bombshell-Diff-Cover-Dana-44-Bare-p/42-11-044.htm

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been a fleet manager for over 30 years and now a owner of a Heavy equipment repair business Current Fleet has over 100 Ford Trucks and 100 pieces of Cat Equipment. Maintenance is the difference in a vehicle's longevity. I service all pieces in my fleet BEFORE the manufacturer"s recommendation. My gas trucks at 3000, Diesels at 5 and equipment at 200 hrs.
Just my opinion
Nothing wrong with that. 30 years is awhile. A lot has changed with lubricants, filters, and engines in that time period. Again, nothing wrong if it works for you.

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2023 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The oil and filters are very much better. The additive packages do still break down over time. A lot depends on the way you use it. It is good to be able to look over the vehicles on a regular basis to find early issues. Fleets are different, you have to keep an eye on them because you never know if a driver or operator has.

machtig

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will follow manufacturer recommendations as specified in the manual. I can't imagine why they would not recommend something that was needed. This has always served me well, as I have never, ever had major engine work on any vehicle I've owned. No internal work at all. I don't try to pretend I know more than the engineers.
This.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is fine except when the manufacturer recommends no service at all such as so called lifetime fill. This is done when the manufacturer pays for all service during the warranty period. We’ll just say it never needs changed. How many people flush there brake system every two years? You probably wont find that in the manual for most new cars.

Sponsored

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Oil change? Our Broncos will be recalled within 2 weeks 😉

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford EXPERTS not too long ago were not going to admit that DI engines had oil blow back .... they did some improvements on making the 2.7 PI and DI but left the 2.3 as DI ..... and all of the changes occured after and because of customer complaints. Now having said that and knowing that Ford EXPERTS know about the problem, why do you think they didn't install an oil catch can on the 2.3 at least? do you think such a high pressure engine doesn't need a little extra TLC?
My initial post was about whether on the first EARLY oil change i could get away with just changing the oil filter and not the oil itself?
They absolutely could add a catch can to any DI motor. They won't for two reasons. #1 they don't trust the average owner to check and drain the damn thing. #2 an "upper end cleaning" is a high margin service for dealerships to offer to clean out all the gunk accumulated from blowing all that oil vapor back thru the intake.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs