Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ll be staying in Washington, UT for a week this summer on a family vacation. I don’t have my bronco yet and I’ve never been off-roading. Regardless, I’m considering driving the 29 hrs out there from GA in the bronco with my dad (instead of flying with my family).

Few questions:
1. Being new, are there trails I can do out there that won’t kill me but will still be memorable?
2. Route we should take and places to stop along the way? We’d want to take extra days and experience the country. Through Texas or Colorado?
3. Should I schedule off-rodeo in Moab during the travel?
4. Am I in over my head and should I just fly and rent a jeep when I’m out there?
Sponsored

section525

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have Crystal Mills on my places to visit in Colorado at some point.

Crystal Mills

Looks awesome especially if you're also into photo graphy.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh this one is super easy.

Sand Hollow State Park. Enjoy!!

If you get stuck call Winder Towing so we can watch you on YouTube.

Last edited:

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Colorado has lots of great trails as does Moab. Both have trails that are from beginner to expert. It would be worth it to route yourself through one or both states. I am a guide at the Bronco Off-Roadeo in Moab. The Off-Roadeo is always a good time. About 30 miles of highway and 30 miles of trails. Its a long day and then a dinner and fire afterwards. Since you are bringing your own rig, you can usually find a someone
that is going to be out wheeling the day before or after and you can usually sneak into the group! Driving vs flying and renting? I am a fan of the road trip, but if your schedule is tight, renting on the other end may be easier. Renting off-road vehicles in Moab can get expensive depending on the time of the week and/or time of year. You didn't mention what kind of vehicle you would be driving across the country.

OP
OP
kevin.gt

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh this one is super easy.

Sand Hollow State Park. Enjoy!!

If you get stuck call Winder Towing so we can watch you on YouTube.
😊 yeah sand hollow will be very close to where we are staying and is what got me thinking about driving out there. that said, I’ve only seen pretty extreme rock crawl videos. Enough for a newbie in a stock Sasquatch to do?

Sponsored
OP
OP
kevin.gt

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Colorado has lots of great trails as does Moab. Both have trails that are from beginner to expert. It would be worth it to route yourself through one or both states. I am a guide at the Bronco Off-Roadeo in Moab. The Off-Roadeo is always a good time. About 30 miles of highway and 30 miles of trails. Its a long day and then a dinner and fire afterwards. Since you are bringing your own rig, you can usually find a someone
that is going to be out wheeling the day before or after and you can usually sneak into the group! Driving vs flying and renting? I am a fan of the road trip, but if your schedule is tight, renting on the other end may be easier. Renting off-road vehicles in Moab can get expensive depending on the time of the week and/or time of year. You didn't mention what kind of vehicle you would be driving across the country.
Awesome info. I haven’t looked into booking off-roadeo. How far in advance do you need to book? If we drive, it’ll be in my bronco being built this week (base sasquatch).

GTPrincessa

Black Diamond
First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Definitely road trip, and definitely do the Off Roadeo. Will be a great thing for you to do with your dad.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

😊 yeah sand hollow will be very close to where we are staying and is what got me thinking about driving out there. that said, I’ve only seen pretty extreme rock crawl videos. Enough for a newbie in a stock Sasquatch to do?
Yeah there are a ton of different trails out there, ranging from newbie trails to complicated Level 8 trails (which are very difficult to do on a stock vehicle).

---

I have no idea how many days you have planned for this, but here is how I personally would do the trip:

On the way there drive I-20, I-22, I-40 over to Flagstaff, AZ. Flagstaff has the Grand Canyon and Oak Creek Canyon, which are awesome. Once you do everything around Flagstaff you want to do, drive on US-89 north up to Page, then hit Zion National Park and everything around there on the way to Washington, UT.

Once in Washington... off-road time. Sand Hollow State Park... or just some scenic driving around there and Cedar City, Utah. Whatever you and the family want to do. If you got kids Sand Hollow will probably be a lot of fun though.

On the way back, Bryce Canyon up north until you hit Moab. Do all kinds of fun stuff around Moab, then head east to Grand Junction, CO. Once there, US-50/550 south to Telluride, Durango, Pagosa Springs, etc. Beautiful area of Colorado. Again... if you have kids, the Durango/Silverton Railroad will probably be a big hit--although honestly it's a lot of fun for adults too.

After that I'm guessing you'll be short on time. So find you way back down to I-40 and drive home.

---

Anyway, grew up around that part of the country (in case it wasn't obvious), so if you have any questions on something specific just ask. If I don't know I'm sure someone else on this forum will.

Chris S

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla '18 M3 Perf & '22 MY Perf, '19 MX-5 Club,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toquerville (sp?) Falls is a very scenic trail that's fine for a beginner. Bring swimsuits! We drove our Rubicon from TX there (and beyond) last year on summer vacation. They have nearly unlimited trails in every direction!

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Awesome info. I haven’t looked into booking off-roadeo. How far in advance do you need to book? If we drive, it’ll be in my bronco being built this week (base sasquatch).
We did the off rodeo in texas.....
Highly recommend! Great time to get familiar with the capability of your Bronco! Great time Great people!

Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll be staying in Washington, UT for a week this summer on a family vacation. I don’t have my bronco yet and I’ve never been off-roading. Regardless, I’m considering driving the 29 hrs out there from GA in the bronco with my dad (instead of flying with my family).

Few questions:
1. Being new, are there trails I can do out there that won’t kill me but will still be memorable?
2. Route we should take and places to stop along the way? We’d want to take extra days and experience the country. Through Texas or Colorado?
4. Am I in over my head and should I just fly and rent a jeep when I’m out there?
1. Yes there are a lot of trails from beginner to way technical.
2. sounds like an awesome road trip
3. 1000% do offriadeo. I would say do the off roadeo before you go out on your own because they will literally coach you to novice level from beginner.
4. Fff jeeps JK but no just drive man.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Few questions:
Would you have more than a week for the whole trip if you drove? A week will take up just driving there and back with just a touch of sightseeing. If you will be in Washington for a week, then definitely take the Bronco and go play and drive around in Sand Hollow, you'll be right there. Lots of youtube with Sand Hollow stuff. You can just drive around on sandy and rocky roads and see the sights, or drive through dunes, or dive off into all kinds of rock crawling routes.

However you get to UT from GA, I'd highly recommend UT hwy 95 north through Fry Canyon from Mexican Hat (drive about 4 miles to see Goosenecks if you have time, and if you have a bit more time take an hour and drive through Valley of the Gods), then west on hwy 24 at Hanksville through Capitol Reef Natl Park, then south on Hwy 12 at Torrey through Bryce Canyon Natl Park, then south on hwy 89 to Mt Carmel Junction then west on hwy 9 through Zion National Park and on through Hurricane to Washington. While the National Parks are great, the best scenery along this route is in-between the parks. The route I just laid out is BREATHTAKING if you haven't done it, heck it's breathtaking if you've done it a ton of times.

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you’ve never been off road, you should definitely do the off roadeo on your trip. It will give you a lot more confidence, and a much better idea of what your bronco can easily handle.

OP
OP
kevin.gt

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have no idea how many days you have planned for this
Would you have more than a week for the whole trip if you drove?
We have the house near Sand Hollow for almost a week. Meeting our extended family to do local adventures near Zion. I’d take another week off for travel
we’re going in the summer

If you’ve never been off road, you should definitely do the off roadeo on your trip. It will give you a lot more confidence, and a much better idea of what your bronco can easily handle.
I’ll have a few months to wheel local in GA before this trip, but yes plan to learn a lot at off-roadeo.

thanks a ton everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. I shared this thread with my wife and she was moved by the community input. everyone so helpful and supportive despite me being clueless 😆 thanks!
Sponsored