Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2DR Big Bend 7MT will be my first off-road vehicle and am also looking to get out and do more camping, fishing, etc. Am curious about hearing from more experienced folks in this thread. At the moment it’s just gonna be me in the Bronco but eventually I’ll mostly accumulate so much stuff I’ll have to get a small utility trailer. I like the idea of having it packed and ready to go for the weekends.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It is good to hear how others are planning to camp. Camping is amazing and our Broncos should allow us to get “off the grid” and find quiet places. I camp every week for 2- or 3-nights year-round based on the weather. That can be challenging at times in my playground of northern Maine.

For me, having my gear ready to roll is important. Over the years I have discovered my gear works best if it is light, compact, easy to pack and clean. Camping is all about simplifying your life. Do not let your gear change that focus.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Also agree with @BuzzyBud you don’t need a lot. I camp simple. Granted it’s mostly me. I can camp in my vehicle. I got small things off Amazon for longer camps. Cheap solar shower. I carry a cooler bag. I may not look like I camp when out adventuring but I do!! I also got a 2Door I’ll be camping out of. I’m hoping to get my hands on a Bronco in TN in the after hours see if they will allow me to test out my backseat air mattress, possibly my hatchback tent.

Sponsored

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to be new to it myself. I've been looking around for info on it too.

https://www.overlandbound.com/ seems to be a decent overlanding site with a responsive forum for questions and answers. You can create an account without paying to be a member.

One thing I'm not a fan of with the site is your first and last name accompany your posts on the forum. I'd recommend using an alias for security purposes.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also agree with @BuzzyBud you don’t need a lot. I camp simple. Granted it’s mostly me. I can camp in my vehicle. I got small things off Amazon for longer camps. Cheap solar shower. I carry a cooler bag. I may not look like I camp when out adventuring but I do!! I also got a 2Door I’ll be camping out of. I’m hoping to get my hands on a Bronco in TN in the after hours see if they will allow me to test out my backseat air mattress, possibly my hatchback tent.
Wow! I hope the staff at Super Cel will let you spend time testing your gear. So much focus has been spent on the 4-door for overland adventures. I hope the focus will now shift to the 2-door.

In many ways owners may need to discard preconceived notions of what a camper might need. My best camping adventures have been spent camping out of my ocean kayak for weeks in Alaska. Our 2-door Broncos will provide a huge amount of space if it is used wisely.

As a case in point, drinkable water can be a heavy and space consuming component of your gear bag. A like using MSR Dromedary bags. The space next to the jack should be good for holding one or two bags. That will encourage keeping weight low and utilizing every inch of space. Just a thought.

Amazon.com : MSR Dromedary Bag Water Reservoir, 4-Liter, Black : Sports & Outdoors

Rambler

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘04 Silverado, ‘97 Wrangler, ‘65 Norton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Two Texas spots worthy of a visit are Big Bend National Park and Padre Island National Seashore. Dispersed camping at BB and beach camping at PI. I’ve never been to either but Padre Island is on my list of places to camp.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't get caught up in the "Overlanding" buzz. Get out and explore, whether just day trips or weekenders. End of the day it's car camping. As you get more comfortable and start understanding what you really need, you can get what works for you, and not what some social media site leads you to believe you need. Lot's of people's garages are full of stuff they thought they needed because it looked cool on some Instagram photo. Overlanding is about getting away from the herd, not being part of it.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you get to test out your gear on a 2 door in Tennessee keep us posted with a review. I'm getting a 2 door as well and would be interested in seeing how an air mattress and other gear fair.

Sponsored

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My only advice for anyone starting a new hobby is that it’s generally okay to buy cheap gear at first. The biggest issue with cheap gear is it doesn’t last, but that’s also true for half of the new hobbies people pick up anyway and besides you don’t actually know what you need yet.

More importantly if you buy a cheap piece of kit and you wear it out then it’s easy to justify upgrading, but now with a much better appreciation of what you need and why. If you buy a cheap piece of gear and don’t wear it out then chances are you didn’t need the thing anyway or that the basic version is fine for your needs.

transportation, recovery gear, shelter, medical gear, clothes can be an exception to this. Just use common sense. Rule of thumb is to not attempt anything that puts you in a situation you cannot safely recover from. That’s why those particular items are sometimes worth investing a little more for.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you get to test out your gear on a 2 door in Tennessee keep us posted with a review. I'm getting a 2 door as well and would be interested in seeing how an air mattress and other gear fair.
Will do. I’m going to try to work some magic see if they will give me a hour. That be plenty of time to check few things off.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As the Bronco encourages owners to camp, it might be helpful to focus on how to keep your activities simple and easy, so you experience joy in your accomplishments. Over time and with more experience, more complex processes can gradually be added.

As an example, the joy of warmth in a cold environment. Assuming your camp site does not have restrictions on an open flame, a campfire can provide joy. Unlike many campers, my preference is a morning campfire when a hearty meal is being prepared. Where I live states have restrictions on bringing firewood across state borders, so I pack a couple Duraflame logs for those times when I can not locate local firewood. They start quickly and provide the warmth I need in the early morning.

Sometimes keeping your focus simple and targeted on a result can give you a feeling of success.

Last edited:

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
What’s the difference between overlanding and camping?

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What’s the difference between overlanding and camping?
I think the big difference is some overlanders stay out for looong periods of time. Weeks. Just camping outta their rig. Camping it more few days here then few days there. Sometimes a hit up a KOA. All really the same though. Just preference how you interpret it!!
Sponsored