First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you look at how the receiver mounts, it isnt hard to see how having a hitch in the receiver and hitting something solid could torque that crossmember.

Gladiator hitch probably mounts to the frame rails rather than a crossmember...

Moral of the story, don't leave a hitch in the receiver...
Yeah, had to climb under my gladiator to make sure I did not just miss the damage. You are right and it has a tubed heavy duty mount that bolts onto the frames on each side not just bolted to the crossmember. It was all good. My 2dr is bolted to the crossmember like the bronco. This is a good reminder to either use a dynamic rope or a strap with a slow pull getting someone else out.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well regardless of how this actually happened, how many times have we come off a ledge or a rock and smack the trailer hitch? I mean most people treat the hitch sort of as a "rear rock slider" :)

I was thinking of ordering that hitch slide to make sure that that gets hit before anything else including my bumper and spare tire... Now I don't know.

Maybe having some reinforcement metal added to that middle brace to keep it from twisting or bending.

I mean I get the crumple zone concept.. this kind of seems like the tie rod problem... I really looking for a weak point where it actually should be stronger than the norm.
I put a hitch slide on mine thinking it would protect the muffler and provide protection in a rear end accident, now I have to rethink...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As a long time Tacoma owner, it’s pretty well expected to get frame damage from anything more than a bump if you have a hitch in. Best to leave the hitch out of the receiver if you’re not using it.
Also why I went with the BAMF receiver mount. It’s tucked up tighter than factory. Will be replacing the bumper soon with one with an integrated hitch.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know the hitch on my jeep is exactly like the Broncos..guess they just bolted it to something
As a long time Tacoma owner, it’s pretty well expected to get frame damage from anything more than a bump if you have a hitch in. Best to leave the hitch out of the receiver if you’re not using it.
Also why I went with the BAMF receiver mount. It’s tucked up tighter than factory. Will be replacing the bumper soon with one with an integrated hitch.

Yeah I'm thinking rhis is the fix..i got the towing option so all the electrical is there. Just transfer it to a hitch bumper thats bolted to the fram and I should be able to hit all the rocks I want

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what the difference is between the one for the 2.3 and 2.7 is ?

Flip posted : The part with the green triangle (rear subframe section) is also available. Front section (out of pic) shows 1 in the warehouse for the 2.3 and 1 for the 2.7. Looks like there are one or two full frames now available as well so if you get side smacked with frame damage, it may not total due to part availability.

Sponsored

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How fast were you going when you hit that boulder?
Check out the mounting...I looked at mine and was like, "Are you kidding me?!?! ". A complete joke.

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OK so what type of material are they building the bronco with, I thought the frame is one of the strongest part. What! Did they forget to properly hardened it.

OP
OP
Stefanmcd

Stefanmcd

Badlands
First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Exploder Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A few things here.

1. This is exactly why I opted to not get the tow package. That receiver will likely be the first thing that hits in any situation and you lose departure angle.

2. On my Dad's FJ Cruiser we actually cut this rear frame member out and moved it towards the front a couple of inches to help with that. Fully aware that doing so could change how the vehicle reacts in a crash situation. We didn't think it would be too much of a risk (looking back he probably should have made the dealership aware of that when he traded it in........).

3. Where is your muffler? Is it a thing to cut the muffler off on a Bronco? Don't get me wrong, I've ran straight pipes on several V8s, but never of a twin turbo V6....
It's an Afe aftermarket exhaust. Muffler is smaller and further towards the front of the truck.

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's an Afe aftermarket exhaust. Muffler is smaller and further towards the front of the truck.
How did you like the sound of the aFe exhaust? I am torn between aFe Apollo GT series and the Flowmaster American thunder cat back. I think they both sound good in there own way.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow, sorry this happened. Let us know how the repair process goes.
Sponsored