Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Exploder Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: Here's info from @flip regarding replacement frames now available:

Yo @flip how screwed is this Bronco?
Per @flip - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...cking-into-a-creek-boulder.52372/post-1560288

If this would've been 6 months ago he would've been totaled. There are a couple dozen of these at the depot in Detroit. I don't know if the service procedure requires the body to come off or just the bumper but better this get trashed than one of the rear rails. The part with the green triangle (rear subframe section) is also available. Front section (out of pic) shows 1 in the warehouse for the 2.3 and 1 for the 2.7. Looks like there are one or two full frames now available as well so if you get side smacked with frame damage, it may not total due to part availability.
MB3Z-5F146-A
1661426024229.png

ORIGINAL POST:

What had happened was I left a hitch on the Bronco and backed into a boulder in a creek. We need not recount how many dumb ideas I had this weekend, but rather look forward at the ramifications. The frame is real real bent. Other than being ugly and moving my hitch an inch or two towards the body, what other problems might this cause if I don't have a body shop fix it?

Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] 20220823_170520

Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] 20220823_170427

Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] 20220823_170336
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think you'll want to tow anything of importance with it anymore unfortunately. Until it gets fixed

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It appears it *may* be a replaceable subframe. You may want a qualified shop to look at it and make sure it doesn't mess anything else up. Assuming it's a bolt-in piece, it may not be that bad financially but it's going to take more than pictures for diagnosis. The big question is going to be how long it's going to take to get that sub-frame. It looks like it was a pretty hard hit. Obviously, any towing or stress on that part is unsafe at the moment. Hope you get it all worked out.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How fast were you going when you hit that boulder?

OP
OP
Stefanmcd

Stefanmcd

Badlands
First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Exploder Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It appears it *may* be a replaceable subframe. You may want a qualified shop to look at it and make sure it doesn't mess anything else up. Assuming it's a bolt-in piece, it may not be that bad financially but it's going to take more than pictures for diagnosis. The big question is going to be how long it's going to take to get that sub-frame. It looks like it was a pretty hard hit. Obviously, any towing or stress on that part is unsafe at the moment. Hope you get it all worked out.
Sadly I found this pic and it looks welded to the side frame, but I don't know what makes something subframe vs just plain ok frame.

bronco_parts_03-jpg.jpg

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Take to to a collision repair place. They can do amazing things with those hydraulic frame tables. Might not be nearly as bad as you think. I'd bet $5 they could bend it right back in a couple hours

Sponsored

NJRoadkill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2.3l Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear this happen. Did it toe-in the rear, main frame at all?
Im guessing the damage isn’t much different from a vehicular rear ending. And a lot of time insurance will total the car.

which brings up a question; does any insurance cover ”off-road” mishaps?

Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] E0F8A352-2882-478F-836D-6B3D500E66ED

Last edited:

Deleted member 3063

Sorry to hear this happen. Did it toe-in the rear, main frame at all?
Im guessing the damage isn’t much different from a vehicular rear ending. And a lot of time insurance will total the car.
less than 10 years back someone hit my gal's 2yo F150 in the rf corner and bent the frame. bent bumper and fender.
to my eye the left side wasn't hurt but insurance replaced the entire frame which was fairly easy to do. one of the benefits of body on frame construction. These days with part and labor shortages, who knows.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

less than 10 years back someone hit my gal's 2yo F150 in the rf corner and bent the frame. bent bumper and fender.
to my eye the left side wasn't hurt but insurance replaced the entire frame which was fairly easy to do. one of the benefits of body on frame construction. These days with part and labor shortages, who knows.
When I was a mechanic I saw numerous frame swaps, fairly straight forward process for the right shop. Like you said one advantage to body on frame.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What had happened was I left a hitch on the Bronco and backed into a boulder in a creek. We need not recount how many dumb ideas I had this weekend, but rather look forward at the ramifications. The frame is real real bent. Other than being ugly and moving my hitch an inch or two towards the body, what other problems might this cause if I don't have a body shop fix it?

Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] E0F8A352-2882-478F-836D-6B3D500E66ED

Yo @flip how screwed is this Bronco?
Sponsored