Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yo @flip how screwed is this Bronco?
If this would've been 6 months ago he would've been totaled. There are a couple dozen of these at the depot in Detroit. I don't know if the service procedure requires the body to come off or just the bumper but better this get trashed than one of the rear rails. The part with the green triangle (rear subframe section) is also available. Front section (out of pic) shows 1 in the warehouse for the 2.3 and 1 for the 2.7. Looks like there are one or two full frames now available as well so if you get side smacked with frame damage, it may not total due to part availability.
MB3Z-5F146-A
Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] 1661426024229
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well this sucks. I was thinking that a hitch guard would help protect the Bronco but if it bends that easy!

So could you do a recovery with the Bronco or would it be d the frame? I yanked on a stuck toyo with my jeep several times...hard... And no frame damage.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well this sucks. I was thinking that a hitch guard would help protect the Bronco but if it bends that easy!

So could you do a recovery with the Bronco or would it be d the frame? I yanked on a stuck toyo with my jeep several times...hard... And no frame damage.
If you plan on using a recovery or tow strap, hook it to one of the front or rear tow rings since they bolt to the main frame rails.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

less than 10 years back someone hit my gal's 2yo F150 in the rf corner and bent the frame. bent bumper and fender.
to my eye the left side wasn't hurt but insurance replaced the entire frame which was fairly easy to do. one of the benefits of body on frame construction. These days with part and labor shortages, who knows.
When I was a mechanic I saw numerous frame swaps, fairly straight forward process for the right shop. Like you said one advantage to body on frame.
Toyota replaced the rusting frame on my dadā€™s Tundra. Canā€™t recall if it was a recall or a service bulletin action, but was at their cost on a 7 year old vehicle.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I looked under a bronco a week ago
I bolted in the hitch
Iā€™d pull straight as possible from the tow hook or use a bridle and use two

I donā€™t like that hitch for a heavy pull
And now I see why the tow railing may be lower than people think

we would remove the body to replace the rear frame

Sponsored

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang that sucks, a valet left my Bronco out of gear without the parking brake engaged in Nashville and it hit a bike rack on the hitch. The frame and the hitch were fine but it was only about 2-4 miles an hour.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you plan on using a recovery or tow strap, hook it to one of the front or rear tow rings since they bolt to the main frame rails.
I guess we know why the Raptor has those braces for the extra 1000 lbs in towing capacity.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Being that the entire support for the rear axle bolts in ahead of the wheels (except the track bar but itā€™s still feet ahead of this area) itā€™s not that big of a deal alignment and drivability wise. If your quarters arenā€™t touching the tailgate your fine. That said if you ever want to tow with it again Iā€™d get it replaced. But for functionality itā€™s not going to mess with anything to do with the rear axle.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm talking about something like this with a yankum....

Ford Bronco Bent frame from backing into a creek boulder [Updated with replacement frame info] 57255_W3

Wasn't expecting to have to buy an aftermarket rear bumper but now I may have to (unless we can add those raptor braces)

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Remember those tow hooks are designed for straight forward or straight backwards pulling. If someone snatches hard from an angle, you'll bend the frame.

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't really think this is an issue of construction quality. I cant imagine there are many vehicles that would fair very well to direct impact pin pointed at the middle of a frame sub rail at 5-10 MPH.

How many beers did you have leading up to this? If you were sober just deactivate your account.

I would bash you for not using your rearview and parking sensors but I took an F150 that had the sensors shut off through my garage door once so can't judge to much there.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember those tow hooks are designed for straight forward or straight backwards pulling. If someone snatches hard from an angle, you'll bend the frame.
I would guess the bolts or the hook bracket would fail before causing enough damage to the frame rail. The hook and snatch has the potential to damage if not done linearly, yes. In a side recovery one would likely be doing a slow pull instead of a yank, which would reduce the chances of damage. I still think the hooks would shear or bend before getting into the rails even under a hard tug.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Raptor braces won't work on non Raptors unless the muffler is removed. I've not put hands on the braces yet but don't think they provide much in the way strength. Mainly there to take some of the flex/twist out of the hitch and crossmember when towing a heavy load.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's why I refrain from ordering the towing package with any of my off road vehicles. Jeep/Bronco.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really think this is an issue of construction quality. I cant imagine there are many vehicles that would fair very well to direct impact pin pointed at the middle of a frame sub rail at 5-10 MPH.

How many beers did you have leading up to this? If you were sober just deactivate your account.

I would bash you for not using your rearview and parking sensors but I took an F150 that had the sensors shut off through my garage door once so can't judge to much there.
I had the same thought. I'm also wondering if it was a little closer to the 10-15+ mph after some šŸ»
Sponsored