Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the opinions but AGAIN, this thread is not for debating pros n cons .... this thread is for recommending an oil catch can for the twin turbo 2.7L engine
I realize that. That's why I was responding to other posts vs your op post.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think the 2.7L (or 2.3L really) needs one. Don't @ me about the 2.3L, it's not an old Hyundai.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agreed, and have also used the JLT on my 3.5 Ecoboost Flex. Catches the recirculated crud.

Also @ the OP, realize that even among catch cans, there can be different setups depending on applications like twin turbo, etc, based on what loops you are going to protect. Don't want to get into specifics, but my point is that costs alone isnt enough to compare one to another. An expensive setup kit may be protecting all loops in the engine system, whereas a cheaper kit may only be for one side of the engine loop. You can look into these types and JLT for instance sometimes has kits that are for 1 or 2 parts, etc.
forgive my ignorance but this will be my first twin turbo with such hi tech timing .... so does a twin turbo have 2 PCV lines? do you need two cans?

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

forgive my ignorance but this will be my first twin turbo with such hi tech timing .... so does a twin turbo have 2 PCV lines? do you need two cans?
Not to get too much into it, but generally on these setups they talk about a "passenger" side and a "driver" side of the loop. Has to do how the gases are routed during different stages of engine boost. To keep this simple, most worry most about the "passenger" side loop. It is cheapest to protect, does the most good since the majority of it is protecting the majority of driving behavior time and is easy to install and implement. The video below does a decent job explaining the reason anyone would use one, and yes, it considers the gen 2 versions of the 2.7L and 3.5L ecoboost powerplants. The short of it is, even if ALL you did was get a good look at how much engine blowby your vehicle is getting from samples of the PCV air flow, in my opinion, it is money well spent. Relatively cheap filtering if you ask me.

Does your F150 (ford engine) need a catch can?

Yes, an injector helping to clean the area that has troubled the ecoboost designs from caking on the back of the valve is a step in the right direction, but removing contaminants from PCV reintroductions is worth it for many and simple protection. And for me, gives me a minor view into how much blowby is actually happening as my vehicles ages, or really just an added step I can see easily. Much like a dipstick, it is your job to check periodically as the container can get full in bad situations, but that is kind of the point. To know.

Sponsored
OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

if Ford Performance is developing one then warranty should be covered

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to get too much into it, <snip>

And for me, gives me a minor view into how much blowby is actually happening as my vehicles ages, or really just an added step I can see easily. Much like a dipstick, it is your job to check periodically as the container can get full in bad situations, but that is kind of the point. To know.
Well said, and I agree.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not that this should be a big concern, most kits are very easily removed if warranty work is being done. I have all my factory tubing to replace if this was an issue, but that issue like warranties only last so long. In my opinion, as a vehicle ages, the use of a catch can seems to increase in value somewhat.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had three dealer services done on my F150 with the catch can installed. No concerns from their mechanics. I’ve never thrown a code after installing it either.

Buy from a reputable company and install according to directions and you should be good.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
JLT makes very high quality units, and are very popular in the Mustang and F-150 world.

JLT 3.0 Oil Separator 2011-2021 F-150 2.7

They also have a Bronco page.
This is an interesting design, it seems they are encouraging a catch can per bank of cylinders with this design.

Generally speaking, i'm not a fan of the stainless steel mesh designs. They were common place back when I was short track racing my Evo and I ran a dual, sequential catch can system on the 4G63t. Was required to run sequential catch cans as that head suffered from valve float when nearing 9k rpm the crank case pressure liked having the additional breathing room.

This catch can is very highly rated, has a nearly 0% failure rate, which I noticed not a lot of people are talking about here.

It's a little on the pricey side, but I would go with the UPR. Keep in mind, as with all things in life, you get what you pay for.

https://www.uprproducts.com/11-14-ford-f150-ecoboost-3-5-4in-mega-oil-catch-can-css-plug-n-play/
This looks like a quality unit. There is a little humor in touting the function of your catch can, then mounting it higher than the valve covers, so far away from the vent valve, then having unnecessarily long hose lines dangling with slack along them. Are you trying to have as much oil vapor turning back into fluid in the lines as possible?

For that price I would be expecting a sight tube for fluid level and also a petcock valve for easy draining but perhaps they are finding a spin-off cup is easier for draining? A spin-off cup will remove the ability to have a sight tube. A petcock valve with dedicated full-time drain tube run down the engine bay to where you can drain during oil changes was very convenient for me, although I get the impression truck people don't spend much time under their vehicle and would prefer the spin-off cup.

The install on that is rather strange (and i'm assuming the unit works flawlessly) from my viewpoint why not install it to get the maximum potential function from it? (Full disclosure: I'm not intimately familiar with the F150 engine bay and am assuming a truck that large has some space for a soda can mounted with some hoses attached to it. If that's not the case and this is the only area that works then so be it)

I will say that the sintered bronze filters were the bees knees back in my day of racing. So i'ts interesting to see baffled mediums be touted as better these days. Will be interesting to see what 2.7 folks are getting once they have these installed.

FWIW Here's the mishimoto catch can for Gen 5 Ranger (sintered bronze filter). These guys have been around a while now and this unit has worked well for Ranger folks. Personally I would like to see this mounted a bit lower in the engine bay, but have not found a better spot on our 2019 Ranger so we have yet to install any sort of catch can (it's her truck, she doesn't want to modify it, even if it's in her best interests overall)

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-ranger-catch-can-kit-2019.html

Sponsored

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is an interesting design, it seems they are encouraging a catch can per bank of cylinders with this design.

Generally speaking, i'm not a fan of the stainless steel mesh designs. They were common place back when I was short track racing my Evo and I ran a dual, sequential catch can system on the 4G63t. Was required to run sequential catch cans as that head suffered from valve float when nearing 9k rpm the crank case pressure liked having the additional breathing room.

This looks like a quality unit. There is a little humor in touting the function of your catch can, then mounting it higher than the valve covers, so far away from the vent valve, then having unnecessarily long hose lines dangling with slack along them. Are you trying to have as much oil vapor turning back into fluid in the lines as possible?

For that price I would be expecting a sight tube for fluid level and also a petcock valve for easy draining but perhaps they are finding a spin-off cup is easier for draining? A spin-off cup will remove the ability to have a sight tube. A petcock valve with dedicated full-time drain tube run down the engine bay to where you can drain during oil changes was very convenient for me, although I get the impression truck people don't spend much time under their vehicle and would prefer the spin-off cup.

The install on that is rather strange (and i'm assuming the unit works flawlessly) from my viewpoint why not install it to get the maximum potential function from it? (Full disclosure: I'm not intimately familiar with the F150 engine bay and am assuming a truck that large has some space for a soda can mounted with some hoses attached to it. If that's not the case and this is the only area that works then so be it)

I will say that the sintered bronze filters were the bees knees back in my day of racing. So i'ts interesting to see baffled mediums be touted as better these days. Will be interesting to see what 2.7 folks are getting once they have these installed.

FWIW Here's the mishimoto catch can for Gen 5 Ranger (sintered bronze filter). These guys have been around a while now and this unit has worked well for Ranger folks. Personally I would like to see this mounted a bit lower in the engine bay, but have not found a better spot on our 2019 Ranger so we have yet to install any sort of catch can (it's her truck, she doesn't want to modify it, even if it's in her best interests overall)

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-ranger-catch-can-kit-2019.html
Full disclosure, I didn't even take a close look at that mounting picture. I'm wondering if that's a customer submitted photo because of the unorthodox mounting choices.

That being said, have you looked inside an F-150 engine bay lately? It's like an episode of Sponge Bob in there.

Ford Bronco Best Oil Catch Can for the 2.7L? unnamed (3)

*That's a 5.0 :D

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Full disclosure, I didn't even take a close look at that mounting picture. I'm wondering if that's a customer submitted photo because of the unorthodox mounting choices.

That being said, have you looked inside an F-150 engine bay lately? It's like an episode of Sponge Bob in there.

Ford Bronco Best Oil Catch Can for the 2.7L? unnamed (3)

*That's a 5.0 :D
If you already have the V8, you don't care about having half the displacement and losing a quarter of the cylinders..... And can still mount the catch can down near the steering box :ROFLMAO:

Full disclosure: I've never watched an episode of Sponge Bob, so I don't get the reference.

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have one on my 5.0 F150 and it is almost full when I change the oil. It’s just a $150 from stage 3 motorsports

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have one on my 5.0 F150 and it is almost full when I change the oil. It’s just a $150 from stage 3 motorsports
i didn't know the cans have an application on naturally aspirated engines! o_O
Sponsored