Best Oil Catch Can for the 2.7L?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Following.
It is one of the reasons I opted for the 2.7 over the 2.3 (the NEED for one).
I just didn't want to hassle with it.
There are more reasons but this was genuinely one of them.
Now reading this looks like it's good insurance and possible longevity to just do it.
Not debating the need vs. want-to here at all, just now brings it up again in my mind.
This will be the first vehicle I've owned with this tech, so I want to do what needs to be done for good performance long term, good longevity, good fuel mileage retention, etc.
Very curious on this as well, and will be adding one to my 2.7 just because.
If it retains just a portion, that is that much less making it into my combustion chamber and dirtying up the internals.
And that's good, cheap insurance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Following.
It is one of the reasons I opted for the 2.7 over the 2.3 (the NEED for one).
I just didn't want to hassle with it.
There are more reasons but this was genuinely one of them.
Now reading this looks like it's good insurance and possible longevity to just do it.
Not debating the need vs. want-to here at all, just now brings it up again in my mind.
This will be the first vehicle I've owned with this tech, so I want to do what needs to be done for good performance long term, good longevity, good fuel mileage retention, etc.
Very curious on this as well, and will be adding one to my 2.7 just because.
If it retains just a portion, that is that much less making it into my combustion chamber and dirtying up the internals.
And that's good, cheap insurance.
you nailed it .... don't want to debate pros or cons ... need to find the best one based on user ratings

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally like Mishimoto for catch cans. I never put one on my RS when I had it, but planned on purchasing one.
They don't have anything listed for the Bronco yet, but I assume Mishimoto will adapt this one for the Bronco.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally like Mishimoto for catch cans. I never put one on my RS when I had it, but planned on purchasing one.
They don't have anything listed for the Bronco yet, but I assume Mishimoto will adapt this one for the Bronco.
I looked at the Mishimoto for both my 2013 ST and for my 2019 F150, but I preferred the larger volume of the cans offered by Breeda for the ST and UPR for the F150. I also like the ability to route a drain line and valve down to ground for easy draining of the cans. Just a preference but something worth considering. A friend who put a Mishimoto on his RS said it was a PITA to remove it every time he wanted to drain it.

Sponsored

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There aren't a whole lot of major players in the catch can market. As in, huge companies that make cans for nearly every brand. There are a ton of really great cans out there but the companies making them usually are pretty narrowly focused on what vehicles they build for. Some may only do GM. Others Ford or an import. So, we'll just have to see who jumps in on the Bronco and try and find people that have had experience with them on other platforms.

Reactions: RG7

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

JLT makes very high quality units, and are very popular in the Mustang and F-150 world.

JLT 3.0 Oil Separator 2011-2021 F-150 2.7

They also have a Bronco page.
Agreed, and have also used the JLT on my 3.5 Ecoboost Flex. Catches the recirculated crud.

Also @ the OP, realize that even among catch cans, there can be different setups depending on applications like twin turbo, etc, based on what loops you are going to protect. Don't want to get into specifics, but my point is that costs alone isnt enough to compare one to another. An expensive setup kit may be protecting all loops in the engine system, whereas a cheaper kit may only be for one side of the engine loop. You can look into these types and JLT for instance sometimes has kits that are for 1 or 2 parts, etc.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Best Oil Catch Can for the 2.7L? 00D3D3C9-83AA-4F0B-AC5E-B64BD4CF0CC2

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 has dual injection. It doesn’t need a catch can.
Yep... people watching old videos on gen1 2.7L and not realizing there's a gen2 that fixed it.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep... people watching old videos on gen1 2.7L and not realizing there's a gen2 that fixed it.
Catch cans have been recommended even before the advent of direct injection. Port injection helps by spraying the back of the valves but it's not a "fix". You'll still get cruddy valves from blowing oil vapor back thru the intake eventually.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Catch cans have been recommended even before the advent of direct injection. Port injection helps but it's not a "fix". You'll still get cruddy valves from blowing oil vapor back thru the intake eventually.
I agree. It's not going to hurt anything to have one (as long as you maintain it). But it's also like people paying to put a filter on their tap water. Helps a bit, but wouldn't kill ya if you didn't have it. 👍

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you saying the 2.7L gen 2 eliminated blowby and the PCV system?

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree. It's not going to hurt anything to have one (as long as you maintain it). But it's also like people paying to put a filter on their tap water. Helps a bit, but wouldn't kill ya if you didn't have it. 👍
Thanks for the opinions but AGAIN, this thread is not for debating pros n cons .... this thread is for recommending an oil catch can for the twin turbo 2.7L engine
Sponsored