First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You are 100% correct that the wider tires on the Sasquatch will not be ideal for snow/slush. You can get through snow and slush, but it's not ideal and there are much better options.

If you're driving up I-91 after a snowstorm and the highway has been plowed, but is covered with a packed layer of cold, hard, frozen snow, you don't want any MT tire or anything wide. If the highway is covered with snow and slush an MT tire will get you through it, but I wouldn't go more than 35MPH in those conditions.

You specifically mentioned driving up to Vermont, which implies highway driving (probably), so forget about using your lockers. Lockers are great for mud bogging, rock crawling, winter wheeling, steep hill climbs, slow speed stuff, etc., but shouldn't be used on highways.

For slush and snow, you can also get by with an AT tire that has the "severe snow service" 3-peak mountain snowflake on the side, but there are still better options. I always found that once an MT or AT tire had about 10k miles on them, their winter performance started going downhill fast.

Your best bet: Buy a second set of wheels and mount 'em up with some Bridgestone Blizzaks. You can get them in a 32x10 (255/75/17) or a 34x10.8 (275/65/20) or a 33x10.5 (275x70x18) and other similar sizes. The reason Blizzaks (and most dedicated snow tires) are the best choice is because they're made with a softer rubber compound and have more siping. Softer rubber compounds do a better job of gripping hard pack snow and ice (better than harder rubber compounds) and the sipes provide extra traction as well. The tread pattern itself should help with ejecting the slush and snow and put the tread on the ground to provide grip.

An interesting option that I may try on my F-150 this winter or my new Bronco next winter: Kenda Klever in size 35x10.50x17 with studs. I always prefer skinny tires in the snow and the Kenda Klever is sort of a hybrid AT/MT with the ability to accept studs. I haven't seen it in person to feel the rubber softness/hardness, but because of that tall skinny size, I might just take the plunge and try it.

Summary: Skinny Blizzaks are the best (in my experience). Skinny AT tires with the snowflake symbol will be good. MTs will get you through deep snow at slow speeds but they're a nightmare on the highway in cold weather because of their hard rubber compound, and the Kenda Klever studded pizza cutter might be the most intriguing tire to come out lately.

PS. I grew up in New England but have lived in Colorado for nearly 20 years at 8k feet of elevation. My old job involved driving the highways all winter long in every condition and I had such good experiences with the Blizzaks on a Chevy Tahoe that I put them on my personal truck (F-150) and my wife's car (AWD Toyota Venza) every November.

I could get by with an AT tire but in winter in a blizzard or ice storm with the family I wanted the best advantage that I could get, and my roughly 100K miles of winter-specific real-world driving experience over a decade showed me the Blizzak was the best.
Thank you! I have a 2020 Explorer ST. Great car but not great in snow. I think I am going to get Blizzaks for this winter. I am in the HVAC business and need to get out in the bad weather.
Sponsored

JH1026

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Yaris, 2016 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did email Nokian and they said they do offer a Hakkapeliitta LT3 non-studded 315/70/17. In case people are concerned about not matching stock tire size for a winter setup.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did email Nokian and they said they do offer a Hakkapeliitta LT3 non-studded 315/70/17. In case people are concerned about not matching stock tire size for a winter setup.
I posted the product link a few posts back. Both the LT3 and LT2 are available in that size either studded or not.

Blood_and_Mud

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You are 100% correct that the wider tires on the Sasquatch will not be ideal for snow/slush. You can get through snow and slush, but it's not ideal and there are much better options.

If you're driving up I-91 after a snowstorm and the highway has been plowed, but is covered with a packed layer of cold, hard, frozen snow, you don't want any MT tire or anything wide. If the highway is covered with snow and slush an MT tire will get you through it, but I wouldn't go more than 35MPH in those conditions.

You specifically mentioned driving up to Vermont, which implies highway driving (probably), so forget about using your lockers. Lockers are great for mud bogging, rock crawling, winter wheeling, steep hill climbs, slow speed stuff, etc., but shouldn't be used on highways.

For slush and snow, you can also get by with an AT tire that has the "severe snow service" 3-peak mountain snowflake on the side, but there are still better options. I always found that once an MT or AT tire had about 10k miles on them, their winter performance started going downhill fast.

Your best bet: Buy a second set of wheels and mount 'em up with some Bridgestone Blizzaks. You can get them in a 32x10 (255/75/17) or a 34x10.8 (275/65/20) or a 33x10.5 (275x70x18) and other similar sizes. The reason Blizzaks (and most dedicated snow tires) are the best choice is because they're made with a softer rubber compound and have more siping. Softer rubber compounds do a better job of gripping hard pack snow and ice (better than harder rubber compounds) and the sipes provide extra traction as well. The tread pattern itself should help with ejecting the slush and snow and put the tread on the ground to provide grip.

An interesting option that I may try on my F-150 this winter or my new Bronco next winter: Kenda Klever in size 35x10.50x17 with studs. I always prefer skinny tires in the snow and the Kenda Klever is sort of a hybrid AT/MT with the ability to accept studs. I haven't seen it in person to feel the rubber softness/hardness, but because of that tall skinny size, I might just take the plunge and try it.

Summary: Skinny Blizzaks are the best (in my experience). Skinny AT tires with the snowflake symbol will be good. MTs will get you through deep snow at slow speeds but they're a nightmare on the highway in cold weather because of their hard rubber compound, and the Kenda Klever studded pizza cutter might be the most intriguing tire to come out lately.

PS. I grew up in New England but have lived in Colorado for nearly 20 years at 8k feet of elevation. My old job involved driving the highways all winter long in every condition and I had such good experiences with the Blizzaks on a Chevy Tahoe that I put them on my personal truck (F-150) and my wife's car (AWD Toyota Venza) every November.

I could get by with an AT tire but in winter in a blizzard or ice storm with the family I wanted the best advantage that I could get, and my roughly 100K miles of winter-specific real-world driving experience over a decade showed me the Blizzak was the best.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I was going back and forth between SAS and non-SAS for a while. Ultimately I went non-SAS as I'm much more likely to encounter snow/ice than rock crawling. Love my Blizzaks on my Subaru, agree 100% with this post.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™d like to see how the stock Sasquatch good years perform in the snow before actually swapping them for a true winter tire. Only a few months away and people with Sasquatch will be putting them to the test and reporting back on 6g.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just FYI... The Sasquatch Goodyear "M/T" stands for max traction, not mud terrain. Being an OE tire, I'm sure they'll do just fine in snow/winter.

mikkibtune

Wildtrak
First Name
Mikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition King Ranch, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good snow tire talk here:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rain-tires-sasquatch-package.2540/#post-78874

Nokian makes a snow tire in the stock Sas size of 315/70R17:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT3

I wonā€™t lie. I live in the Adirondack Mountains and I run Nokian Norseman Studded Tires on separate rims on my 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD . After a hell ride down an ice covered mountain some years back, I wonā€™t go without the studs anymore. We are prone to reg ice and black ice in the ADKs and Green Mtns. Itā€™s the cause of a lot of accidents.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dedicated winter tires out perform all seasons in weather colder than 7c. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s wet, dry, snow, ice or slush.
4wd, traction control or goat modes does nothing if you canā€™t grip the road and braking doesnā€™t need any of those.
Going off road in snow, slush, could be trickier but a dedicated winter tire should outperform your MT and AT tire as the rubber compound wonā€™t harden up. So even for cold rock crawling, your winter tire will actually grip, vs an AT tire that will harden due to the cold and not flex or grip. Think of a cold eraser.

All season does not mean itā€™s a winter tire. Iā€™m not a fan of TFL but they did a good comparison with all seasons and winters.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dedicated winter tires out perform all seasons in weather colder than 7c. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s wet, dry, snow, ice or slush.
Depends on the tire. I've had summers that still gripped hard below 40 degrees F in the dry, where winters are always pushy/squishy. I'd have certainly been in trouble if there'd been any kind of precipitation, though.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on the tire. I've had summers that still gripped hard below 40 degrees F in the dry, where winters are always pushy/squishy. I'd have certainly been in trouble if there'd been any kind of precipitation, though.
Winter tires are pushy and squishy because the rubber doesnā€™t harden like an all season or summer in cold weather. Thatā€™s the big difference which most people donā€™t know.

Sponsored

Bonehunter

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
330ix BMW. 2500HD Chevy. Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I commute 100 miles a day and have been running Nokian tires for years. I have both studded and non-studded on front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles and there is absolutly no comparison to an all-season tire. I am currently running studs on my BMW x-drive and it goes anywhere as fast as you want to go. Not sure what i am doing with the Bronco. Have to see how the stock tires are, it won't be my commuter.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Winter tires are pushy and squishy because the rubber doesnā€™t harden like an all season or summer in cold weather. Thatā€™s the big difference which most people donā€™t know.
Yeah, and if we're talking about dry road braking distance or cornering grip, I'll still pick a summer over a winter tire even at 40F.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRƉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ƉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hi
for me only NOKIAN STUDDED TIRE 315/70 r 17 for QuƩbec winter
TRACKTOY

PonyHunter

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m also looking at the Nokia Hakka LT3 for my base SAS. Debating on purchasing a set of base take offs and putting 285/75/16 LT3s on for the winter.
I am in Northern MI so snow is a real concern with the stock SAS wheels. Anyone see a problem with this setup?
Sponsored