Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be installing my mudflaps today (I hope) and noticed that I of course have a couple paint chips in the doors already, speeding through the desert w/o flaps was probably not the best idea.

I've never fixed chips myself, but I'm pretty handy with artists paints, so figure I'll try fixing these myself, they are so low on the door that you have to crouch down to see them.

What's the best way to do this? Just a bit of touch up paint from Ford, or a kit like PAINT2FIX or Dr Color Chip? I want them to disappear if possible w/o leaving little dimples.

Watched a couple youtube videos already and have some more to look at, but also looking for personal recommendations. The chips are all very small, size of a grain of kosher salt max. I don't think I'll need clear coat and wet sanding and all that, but if I do the work, I might as well do the reasonably best job.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

with the way my BD flings stones this will be me in a year lol

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so, talking some more to myself here, LOL.

I think I'll try the Dr ColorChip solution first, since the chips are all at the bottom of the door where noone will ever look, I think going with actual lacquer and sanding and buffing is a bit overkill. I also would first have to buy a buffer and all that, which I'm currently debating, they are pretty expensive for what they are. Any recommendations there? Chemical Guys and Adam's both offer different ones but at crazy $, these things are pretty much just orbital sanders in a way.

It's amazing how thin the paint is on these trucks, it's pretty much just a mist, even my 3 layer CO. Thinner than a piece of paper.

If anyone here has detailing and chip repair experience, please chime in. I'll make a post eventually with what I did.

Sponsored

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've used the Langka Paint Chip Repair Kit with Ford touch up paint successfully in the past and I have some spots that I will need to touch up soon. Waiting on a nicer day to get it done. You basically use the factory touch up paint and overfill the chip. Use their blob eliminator and smooth it to level. I also have an Adam's Polisher which works great and would recommend their products.

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've used the Langka Paint Chip Repair Kit with Ford touch up paint successfully in the past and I have some spots that I will need to touch up soon. Waiting on a nicer day to get it done. You basically use the factory touch up paint and overfill the chip. Use their blob eliminator and smooth it to level. I also have an Adam's Polisher which works great and would recommend their products.
thanks, I'll check that kit out too!
Good to hear the Adam's works well, I have most of my other cleaning/detailing stuff from them. Just have to get past the crazy price. Do you know off hand which one you have? They all offer different sizes, I think with the Bronco one of the larger ones would be fine, lots of big flat areas, not like a sports car.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks, I'll check that kit out too!
Good to hear the Adam's works well, I have most of my other cleaning/detailing stuff from them. Just have to get past the crazy price. Do you know off hand which one you have? They all offer different sizes, I think with the Bronco one of the larger ones would be fine, lots of big flat areas, not like a sports car.
I've had mine for several years but I have the original Adam's swirl killer and I think it was the swirl killer mini after that. So, basically a regular size unit and a smaller unit for tighter spots. If I was getting only one for the Bronco now, I'd get the standard 15mm Swirl Killer. The machine is so easy to use. I was intimidated at first but got comfortable with it very quickly.

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had mine for several years but I have the original Adam's swirl killer and I think it was the swirl killer mini after that. So, basically a regular size unit and a smaller unit for tighter spots. If I was getting only one for the Bronco now, I'd get the standard 15mm Swirl Killer. The machine is so easy to use. I was intimidated at first but got comfortable with it very quickly.
great, thanks! It's most likely what I'll order this weekend.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went with Dr. colorchip. You can check out my thread here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/paint-chip-repair-tips.28702/

I guess it all depends on how much it's going to bother you. I did it like a week after taking delivery. Very frustrating. But after fixing it, I don't ever notice it, and sometimes takes me a bit to find if I am looking for it. It certainly is not perfect. Depends a lot on lighting. But got the job done.

and if you're talking small chips, you might fare even better. Mine was pretty deep. I had to fill it many many many times before I got it right.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What color? The "best" method is the feather the chips and airbrush/paint and re-clear. If you have one of the Tri-Coat colors the touch "kits" and not going to match. Do a test panel to compare the color difference. The touch up will likely look worse than the chips.

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just get the matching paint or touch up paint from Ford and fill in the chips with a syringe or fluid writer pen then buff it out

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be installing my mudflaps today (I hope) and noticed that I of course have a couple paint chips in the doors already, speeding through the desert w/o flaps was probably not the best idea.

I've never fixed chips myself, but I'm pretty handy with artists paints, so figure I'll try fixing these myself, they are so low on the door that you have to crouch down to see them.

What's the best way to do this? Just a bit of touch up paint from Ford, or a kit like PAINT2FIX or Dr Color Chip? I want them to disappear if possible w/o leaving little dimples.

Watched a couple youtube videos already and have some more to look at, but also looking for personal recommendations. The chips are all very small, size of a grain of kosher salt max. I don't think I'll need clear coat and wet sanding and all that, but if I do the work, I might as well do the reasonably best job.

Thanks!
If you dab them, with the Ford touch-up paint and the chips are as small as you say, they will disappear once you touch them up.

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you dab them, with the Ford touch-up paint and the chips are as small as you say, they will disappear once you touch them up.
Yeah it’s really not that complicated, folks.