Sponsored

best way to air up without on board air?

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is 39psi the recommended tire pressure? Seems awful high. I run 27psi in the 35’s in my wife’s Jeep
39psi on the door sticker, seems a bit high for my 2 DR BL, I'm going to be dropping it some and see how it goes.
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I seldom air up to maximum ”pavement“ pressures at the end of trail to get back to civilization for fuel and air...just saying

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is impressive and I am jealous. Maybe I'll start with the Viar400 and work my way up. Really would like to be $250 or under all in.
I have the maxi trac compressor from Napa. $85 and it is awesome and fast. All four tires from 20 up to 35 PSI under five minutes.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drive to a gas station that has a compressor.

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have two viair’s and like them but there’s a slight issue with the Bronco’s beauty rings.

The stems are set way back in the wheel and it’s not so easy to just screw on the viair’s hose. Yes, it can be done but not so easy when it’s really cold out, you need some good finger dexterity get the hose on and off.

It’s hard to just get the cap off the valve stem.
Had the same issue bought these from napa, solid construction no problem now
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH90320?impressionRank=3

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMPO a Viair 400P or stronger is a great cost effective & reliable choice.
Ditto...I have the 400P as well. Works great, very fast. It is in the truck I'm driving as well. I paid around $234.00, worth it.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For those who don't want onboard air... we've got 2 offerings

First, are the ARB Portable Kits. Available with the single OR twin compressors. They come in a case and use battery terminal clamps for power.

Second, are the ViAIR portable compressors. We stock the 400P which is the most popular as they can handle 37" tires. Available in 2 styles. An automatic and a non-automatic version. The automatic one has a built in pressure switch so the compressor will stop running when it gets up to PSI. The non-automatic needs to stay IN USE at all times (we recommend zip tying your air trigger OPEN so that you don't run the risk of closing it and having pressure build up)

All available here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/air-compressors/

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT; 2022 Two Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used CO2 tank offroad from 1997 to 2005. They are a bit of a hassle to get refilled, but nothing is faster on the trail and it runs air tools like a champ. Your supply is limited, but it was never an issue for me.
CO2 is the way to go.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ended up grabbing an ARB portable twin finally just to have it on hand for peace of mind.

Last year, when I needed to air up my truck right here in the city near my house, I had to drive to three gas stations before I found one that even had their air pump in working order.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I purchased the new Milwaukee M18 portable inflator for work use about a month ago, sofar I’m very satisfied with it. I’m fully engaged in the Milwaukee M18 and M12 platforms, so this tool makes sense for me. I tested this inflator when I first received it, it took 2:20 to inflate a 285/70R17 on my Badlands from 15 psi to 35 psi. I made a video but never posted it anywhere, I’ll throw it on YouTube now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...Cordless-Inflator-Tool-Only-2848-20/320022879

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used CO2 tank offroad from 1997 to 2005. They are a bit of a hassle to get refilled, but nothing is faster on the trail and it runs air tools like a champ. Your supply is limited, but it was never an issue for me.
Me too..

I did this on the cheap. Aluminum 10# cylinder from Craigslist ($80)

Nice metal handle and 150psi fixed regulator from Preece Precision (~$100 for both)

And after reading here about the in vehicle CO2 leak I still need a solid mount.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I purchased the new Milwaukee M18 portable inflator for work use about a month ago, sofar I’m very satisfied with it. I’m fully engaged in the Milwaukee M18 and M12 platforms, so this tool makes sense for me. I tested this inflator when I first received it, it took 2:20 to inflate a 285/70R17 on my Badlands from 15 psi to 35 psi. I made a video but never posted it anywhere, I’ll throw it on YouTube now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...Cordless-Inflator-Tool-Only-2848-20/320022879
Thanks for posting your video. That’s an interesting product, since I already have some M18 tools and XC5.0 (5.0Ah) batteries. 👍

Questions:
  • What size/model of battery did you use?
  • How much battery life was consumed on the 4-bar battery life meter just topping up your tire (e.g., <1 bar, 1 bar, 2 bars)?
  • Do you know what the duty cycle is (i.e., how long it can run before it must shut off to cool down)?
I am trying to figure out how many batteries would be required to refill 35” Sasquatch tires aired down on a trail?

I tried to look up the user manual, but the Home Depot link just regurgitated the warranty link, and I could not find a user manual link on the Milwaukee website, although it must be there somewhere.

PS - I don’t need a portable inflator, because I already have an ARB twin in my engine bay, but I find the design intriguing, and a portable would have been handy as a contingency when my fuel pump died on an off-road trail and I could not start my engine.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for posting your video. That’s an interesting product, since I already have some M18 tools and XC5.0 (5.0Ah) batteries. 👍

Questions:
  • What size/model of battery did you use?
  • How much battery life was consumed on the 4-bar battery life meter just topping up your tire (e.g., <1 bar, 1 bar, 2 bars)?
  • Do you know what the duty cycle is (i.e., how long it can run before it must shut off to cool down)?
I am trying to figure out how many batteries would be required to refill 35” Sasquatch tires aired down on a trail?

I tried to look up the user manual, but the Home Depot link just regurgitated the warranty link, and I could not find a user manual link on the Milwaukee website, although it must be there somewhere.

PS - I don’t need a portable inflator, because I already have an ARB twin in my engine bay, but I find the design intriguing, and a portable would have been handy as a contingency when my fuel pump died on an off-road trail and I could not start my engine.
I’m using the 8.0 Ah batteries with the M18 inflator. I did some testing the other day in response to a question on the garage journal forum, I put that in the notes on the video:

265/70R17 1500 tire from 34 to 37 psi 18 seconds with two stops
265/70R18 2500 tire from 69 to 80 psi 1:42 with three stops
265/70R18 2500 tire from 54 to 80 psi 4:30 with three stops, the fan ran for a minute after completing this tire.

After doing those tests and a few other top offs I still had 3 bars of battery left after at least 7 minutes of runtime. I can run a specific test on my Bronco at some point, but I think it could do all 4 tires from 15 to 35 psi on 2 bars of a 8.0 battery. I do have some 5.0 batteries for testing if needed. I haven’t hit the thermal cutoff or duty cycle on this unit yet. I can tell you it was hot after the 54 to 80 psi, but these do have a thermal cutoff. This review says it can run a 33% duty cycle and for 20 minutes straight. It could do all 4 of my tires in about 10 minutes, so it should be no problem.

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m18-cordless-inflator-2848/

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's another option from you. Coming soon from KR Off-Road... the budget air compressor

Ford Bronco best way to air up without on board air? 1655823888864

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just drive to a gas station and pump up your tires there.
Sponsored