Sponsored

Best way to fix Fuel Pump issue on trail?

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying not to go there. Our engine isn't perfect either. But I've never met a Ford V6 that didn't give me trouble and there was no way I was risking it, even if you could get the manual with it.

Now that the valve thing is winding down they'll mostly be reliable, but they'll always be worse to work on due to the V layout.
I'm thinking the 4 cylinder might also be easier to work on. More room around the engine.
Sponsored

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if this is the 2.7 and the code indicates a High Pressure fuel pump fault, then a trail fix is gonna be more challenging than dropping the tank. The High Pressure fuel pump is behind the intake manifold on the engine and requires the intake to be completely removed in order to service it.

I'm not sure about the 2.3.
i never realized there were 2 fuel pumps. Is that the same on the 2.3?

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, all direct injection engines rely on a high pressure fuel pump. The pump in the tank does not supply enough fuel pressure for fuel injection. It simply moves fuel from the tank to the high-pressure fuel pump which is typically much closer to the engine / fuel rail. I'm not sure the exact location of the high pressure fuel pump on the 2.3, but on the 2.7 it is not an easy trail swap because it is under / behind the intake manifold.

That said, as @Tricky Dick indicated, the issues reported thus far do not seem to be related to the High Pressure pump, just the one in the tank.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i never realized there were 2 fuel pumps. Is that the same on the 2.3?
It's on all GTDI engines these days. For emissions / fuel economy the injection pressure is extremely high - not diesel high - but high. To limit losses the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) is mounted as close to the fuel rails as possible. A low pressure pump sits in the tank and just feeds the HPFP.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Was just up on imogine pass in Colorado, came up on a 2021 soundtrack with a no start, the guy was able to call a ford mechanic who was able to pull codes, it showed a fuel pump code. When I left he was waiting on a tow that was 3 hrs away, I'm wondering do we know for sure it's the fuel pump or maybe just the fuel pump driver
I'm also curious if it has just been the driver module. Most detailed posts of failure indicate the pump and driver get replaced, so which one was really bad, unlikely both would fail simultaneously (!! I just typed the word simultaneously and spell check didn't yell at me !!). My son had an 06 F150 die on him, shop replaced pump-no go- then replaced driver- all good. The new one failed a few weeks later , we replaced it and was all good after that.

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well that sucks even more. So the fuel pump that is leaving people stranded is just a low pressure pre-stage to the high pressure one that counts.

And yet we can't easily stick in an old 12v inline pump to get us off the trail.

I don't have my Bronco yet (and with the rail strike it doesn't look good).... IF one were to create an access door....where on the inside would it be? I mean If I could lift the back seat and it's under that...maybe this is doable.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well that sucks even more. So the fuel pump that is leaving people stranded is just a low pressure pre-stage to the high pressure one that counts.

And yet we can't easily stick in an old 12v inline pump to get us off the trail.

I don't have my Bronco yet (and with the rail strike it doesn't look good).... IF one were to create an access door....where on the inside would it be? I mean If I could lift the back seat and it's under that...maybe this is doable.
My advice, don't worry about it. I know that's not easy, waiting on my Bronco I was obsessing about EVERYTHING. That being said, I've had my Bronco since November and not had a single issue. No issue with my 2.7, no fuel pump issue, no broken tie-rods (and I off-road quite a bit)... I take that back, I did have a MIC issue but Ford replaced that panel.

You probably won't have an issue with your fuel pump so I wouldn't go making plans to cut access holes.

Take a breath, it will all be ok....

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This thread give a whole new meaning to the "Deckplate Mod"

West Marine has some pretty sizable inspection hatches that might end up being popular...

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like Dropping the tank is your option here.
I was curious about using a generic 12V inline pump to get it going if needed, did some digging, and that just isn't a feasible option.
These don't have rubber lines like older vehicles where you could cut and splice one in.
Such is life and the cost of progress/innovation.

Plus with these vehicles relying on feedback from all of the systems, it may not work with a fuel pump fault code, even if you had supplemental fuel delivery to the engine. My understanding it is is not only the pump that fails, but the module as well due to trying to keep getting the pump to work.
When the pumps go, you can get the motor to fire by spraying starting fluid in the intake. Not a solution but shows that the Bronco likely isn’t DOA when it throws that code.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This thread give a whole new meaning to the "Deckplate Mod"

West Marine has some pretty sizable inspection hatches that might end up being popular...

It doesn't even have to be that fancy. I've had vehicles in the past that had simple screw down cover plates. The downside of cover plates is needing a captive nut on the body. Nutserts could be used.

For any option, we need to understand where the pump is located relative to the vehicle interior (2 and 4 door).

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, all direct injection engines rely on a high pressure fuel pump. The pump in the tank does not supply enough fuel pressure for fuel injection.
Pedantry incoming - the in-tank pump does provide enough pressure for fuel injection, the port injectors run off of the ~60psi from the in-tank pump. But it doesn't provide enough for the direct injection system.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you really talking about cutting holes in the body of your Bronco for an issue that has effected a handful of people? At some point there has to be a little common sense here. You're not going to carry a replacement part for every situation that could happen out on the trail. Not going to carry and extra engine incase your valves go out....

This issue is obviously a module issue, not a fuel pump issue (why else would they replace the module as well) so replacing your fuel pump probably isn't going to do anything but burn another one up.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we know, has the fuel pump failure been on both 2.7 and 2.3, or just 2.7? I'm just seeing that this has been an issue for a few people.
Sponsored