First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm new to the mechanics of lifting a vehicle, gear ratios, etc.

I really like the look of the Bronco that has been making the rounds (in Jay Leno video) that clearly has 37's and a lift. My question is - what's the best way to get there?

It feels like spending the money on the Sasquatch package, only to take the tires and wheels off would be a waste of money? Or, could I use the Sasquatch wheels and just put new 37" tires on those same wheels? My guess is sizing wouldn't work, but I don't know..

Also, regarding the gearing, I would have never known that was important or something to think about. The Badlands version can be upgraded to the 4.7 Final Drive Ratio. Should I buy a stock (non-squatch) Badlands, with the 4.7 Ratio, and then I could go aftermarket lift, wheels, tires and that's all I would need to do?

Appreciate all of your advice. Thanks!
Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll piggy-back on this question. Is the Badlands upgraded drive ratio only for the rear axle? Does that mean the front axle gearing still needs to be upgraded after purchase If you want larger tires?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bfg makes km3 tires in 37x12.5x17. Those would fit the squatch wheels just fine. They also make them in 39...so there's still room to get nuts later on. If you plan on adding more meat get all the gearing you can! 4.7 is a must!

Last edited:

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll piggy-back on this question. Is the Badlands upgraded drive ratio only for the rear axle? Does that mean the front axle gearing still needs to be upgraded after purchase If you want larger tires?
Both axles have the same ratio, you need to have them match in any 4WD system.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All 4x4 have to have the same gear front and rear or they will lock up when shifted into 4wd

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You need Sasquatch to get all the gearing and you need that gearing at minimum to turn 37s. And yes the Sasquatch 17” wheel will def run 37s. Btw the Sasquatch wheel is 17 x 8.5. Same wheel specs on the raptor and raptor guys runs 37s with no issues on that wheel spec.

The lift is a different story and to do it right you will need to drop the entire front suspension to make sure your cvs are at the same oem angle. Look at lifts for the f150 and I am sure the aftermarket will do the same. I would stay from body lifts and shock body spacers.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both axles have the same ratio, you need to have them match in any 4WD system.
Okay, so that’s just implied even though they call it a “4.7 Rear Axle Locking Final Drive Ratio?”

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, so that’s just implied even though they call it a “4.7 Rear Axle Locking Final Drive Ratio?”
Yeah it would be like your right and left legs moving at different speeds when running. It might work for a few seconds.

There are some threads on this in Tire and Wheels forum. The 4.7 free upgrade available in BL is such a no brainer if you want to go big. Should be plenty to run 37s but people will debate this for years. Depends on your axles and how hard you wheel. But lots of jeep guys running big tires on 4.10 axles which is as big as you can get from the factory (at least it was).

I'm going to try to fit a 37 on the 17x8 standard BL wheel. I like the look better and think it can be done.

Also BFG tires run notoriously small so look at toyo or nitto (or I'm sure others) if you want truer to size options.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, there are still a bunch of unknowns out there about the sasquatch suspension as well axle durability. (I am still trying to figure out the difference between sasquatch and BL suspension besides the 40mm bump stops)

Many on here don't think the axles will surve 37's when doing any off-roading other than minor trails. Jury is still out and we really won't know until someone gets out there and puts it to the test.

Also, as others said, you are going to need a lift to clear the 37's. Suspension lift is the best way to go but it doesn't make sense to buy the sasquatch for the gearing (4.7 is a must) and rims and then scrap the suspension. Shock spacers and body spacers (or a combo) are a cheap way to get clearance but can but strain on the front cvs.

Side note, appears you are looking at an OBX. BL has a free upgrade to 4.7 gearing without going sasquatch, not sure if that is an option on other models.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm new to the mechanics of lifting a vehicle, gear ratios, etc.

I really like the look of the Bronco that has been making the rounds (in Jay Leno video) that clearly has 37's and a lift. My question is - what's the best way to get there?

It feels like spending the money on the Sasquatch package, only to take the tires and wheels off would be a waste of money? Or, could I use the Sasquatch wheels and just put new 37" tires on those same wheels? My guess is sizing wouldn't work, but I don't know..

Also, regarding the gearing, I would have never known that was important or something to think about. The Badlands version can be upgraded to the 4.7 Final Drive Ratio. Should I buy a stock (non-squatch) Badlands, with the 4.7 Ratio, and then I could go aftermarket lift, wheels, tires and that's all I would need to do?

Appreciate all of your advice. Thanks!
Gearing is very important. I've done trails with vehicles that didnt have the proper gearing and the vehicle just doesnt respond the same. I had my foot on the brake and gas a few times in order to be able to go over obstacles and have proper control. . It got old really fast. Shorter gearing will put less stress on your engine and tranny and make for a much much better experience. You have to get the 4.7 ratio to turn 37s.
Make sure to get the upgraded axles and front and rear lockers however you do it. If the 35s are brand new just take them off and sell them on cl. You'll get most of your money out of them. The wheels will work well for the 37.s
I'm also in the camp that these axles may not hold up. I've seen Ranger videos where they break them with 32s.....I think the Bronco will be a hit, but I dont think it will every take the place of a jeep for hard core rock climbing. This will do other things better though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So spacers are a no-go on IFS? I didn't want to use them to lift, but maybe 1" in the front to eliminate rake. Anyone have thoughts on that?

To stay on topic... If you get the Sasquatch package, apparently the springs are stiffer so it adds a bit of extra height over standard Badlands. Does anyone think Sasquatch with flat fenders swapped in and a leveling kit will be enough to clear 37's? Probably will rub at flex, but could be a quick fix for those looking to street drive a monster...

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So spacers are a no-go on IFS? I didn't want to use them to lift, but maybe 1" in the front to eliminate rake. Anyone have thoughts on that?

To stay on topic... If you get the Sasquatch package, apparently the springs are stiffer so it adds a bit of extra height over standard Badlands. Does anyone think Sasquatch with flat fenders swapped in and a leveling kit will be enough to clear 37's? Probably will rub at flex, but could be a quick fix for those looking to street drive a monster...
I dont see any issue with doing a 1" strut spacer. If its the same setup or similar to my Ranger, I can do up to 2.5". You just have to start watching cv angles.....Spacers are cheap and then you get an alignment afterwards.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't realize the 4.7 diff was free on BL... So by going Sasq, all you are getting for $2600 is the 35" tires and a bump stop? Seems they're not giving you credit for giving up the tires and wheels on stock build.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of people do use spacers, but new springs are much better, still fairly cheap and easy to do. On many set-ups a spring that just provides an 1" for leveling can use the stock shocks.

Very doubtful. 37s are much bigger and wider. You will need/want a real lift to add 37s.

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't realize the 4.7 diff was free on BL... So by going Sasq, all you are getting for $2600 is the 35" tires and a bump stop? Seems they're not giving you credit for giving up the tires and wheels on stock build.
Many people like me feel this way. Especially with the option to go to 4.7 for free. Unless you really like the wheels and want those exact mud tires in the Sas package
Sponsored