Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My 4-door hardtop is pretty (reasonably) quiet at 70 or less, easy to have a conversation, and bluetooth phone calls are fine. As I move towards 80, the noise starts to make people on calls ask if I have a window cracked open, etc - call quality goes down hill. Still reasonable inside for conversations, etc up to 80. My neighbors 4-door convertible top is far noisier at any speed over about 45.
Sponsored

TootieQuivers

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4DR Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This weekend I removed the hard top (likely for good) and replaced with a Trektop. There is absolutely no discernable difference in noise level between it and hard top. My wife and daughter rode with me yesterday and didn't notice it all.

For me, the Trektop is the absolute best look on the Bronco. That is obviously a personal opinion, but I very pleased with it.

My only word of advice, is make sure you do this in 70 degrees or above as recommended by Bestop. I tried in 45-50 degree weather and it was fine until it was time to put the back window on, which is the last step. It was impossible in those temps. Sunday I pulled it in the garage and turned on 2 propane heaters, 1 kerosene heater, and 1 electric heater to get the temperature up and was finally able to secure it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Based on what others are saying, I am really beginning to think that the noise has something to do with my Bronco, specifically. I suspect that I am going to have to go to quite a bit of effort to figure out what is wrong with my Bronco.

I definitely believe that the dB meter will help me isolate the issue along with my thermal imager. I really feel that there is no way that the design spec would allow for this much noise.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Based on what others are saying, I am really beginning to think that the noise has something to do with my Bronco, specifically. I suspect that I am going to have to go to quite a bit of effort to figure out what is wrong with my Bronco.

I definitely believe that the dB meter will help me isolate the issue along with my thermal imager. I really feel that there is no way that the design spec would allow for this much noise.
Is the noise more of a lower register rumble, such as from a panel or top vibration? Perhaps caused by some panel not fully welded/riveted, allowing for some vibration noise. Or mechanical from some imbalance or defect in the drivetrain coming through? A failing rear axle bearing caused that for me once, was at first hard to locate the source of the noise.

Or is it more of a wind whistling noise? I've seen some hardtop photos, where it appears the panels are sticking up a bit relative to each other, at the joints. Maybe that can cause air turbulence and even small gap while at speed.

Only experience I have so far is with my CJ-7 hardtop, which also never had any carpet or other sound absorbing materials. All bare metal floors. And it was fine in terms of noise, more than a car obviously, but otherwise no issue.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is the noise more of a lower register rumble, such as from a panel or top vibration? Perhaps caused by some panel not fully welded/riveted, allowing for some vibration noise. Or mechanical from some imbalance or defect in the drivetrain coming through? A failing rear axle bearing caused that for me once, was at first hard to locate the source of the noise.

Or is it more of a wind whistling noise? I've seen some hardtop photos, where it appears the panels are sticking up a bit relative to each other, at the joints. Maybe that can cause air turbulence and even small gap while at speed.

Only experience I have so far is with my CJ-7 hardtop, which also never had any carpet or other sound absorbing materials. All bare metal floors. And it was fine in terms of noise, more than a car obviously, but otherwise no issue.
It's all wind noise, it's not anything else, the mystery is where it is being generated.

It was easy to tell when my ditch lights caused a change in airflow which caused whistling by the mirror seams for instance. This sounds like it is coming from where the top meets the windshield (predominantly) and possibly behind me on the sides. I am wondering if the windshield is not sealed correctly, but I have not had any water intrusion.

I have the 2 door OBX lux package and generally it's pretty quiet below 60 MPH.

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always a lot of subjective opinions about .......loud vs. not loud.......when top is closed, but how is this one when open at highway speed? How does the material bunched up in the back behave at higher speeds?

midwesterpioneer

Base
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F150, 2006 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I will say that currently, I am extremely unhappy with the 2 door Bestop Trektop. The noise levels are unbearable above 70 mph. I wish I had a dB meter to quantify it (I am probably going to order one).
I've had the opposite experience with mine. Had other passengers comment on how quiet it is for a soft top. Maybe I just got lucky with mine.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My Skyrider is quieter than my MIC was. MIC was terrible with wind noise. I would be surprised if the Trektop was much different. Buddy has the Trektop, replaced the saggy wavy top with it. He loves it. It looks great.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If this were offered in squareback form I'd be a buyer. Hope Besttop brings something along those lines to market sooner than later...
Agree 100%, kind of insane you can't bring the top all the way down. It's the best looking and most fun way to drive a bronco and we're locked out because of the tapered rear?

Sponsored

tfishmandesign

Outer Banks
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone hear if bestop will make a version that folds all the way down? Only thing holding
me back from buying the trektop

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will say that currently, I am extremely unhappy with the 2 door Bestop Trektop. The noise levels are unbearable above 70 mph. I wish I had a dB meter to quantify it (I am probably going to order one).
I think iPhone/Apple Watch can show dB levels.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone hear if bestop will make a version that folds all the way down? Only thing holding
me back from buying the trektop
on the 2 door, it folds all the way back.

WhiskeyCity

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have both tops for my 22 Outerbanks. Factory hard top and best top trektop. I switch them with the changing seasons. Love the trektop! I keep begging Bestop to make a duster that uses the same rail as the soft windows.
Do you have a 2dr or 4? Curious, if you have a 2dr, how much of an ass-pain it is switching between the tops.

I just ordered a Trektop for my 2dr. It's in the mail...
Sponsored