Sp703

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gx470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just installed a trektop on my 4 door and everything went fine. I close the top, flipped the levers and it locked to the factory hinges. Problem is when I unlocked the two levers the J hook won’t fully clear the factory hinge. So the lever disengages but I cannot get the hooks to drop out to lift the top. Anyone had this issue or have any advice? It’s happening on both front hinges so it feels like I am doing something wrong but I’ve tried everything and no dice.
Sponsored

Migs1313

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a spot right next to the latch pull down on it and unlatch it and it will unlatch that's what I have to do with mine

DLarson

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m having the same issues with my trektop I installed this weekend even pulling down on the handle there is still about a 1/4 inch of the j hook in the holdown. Reached out to bestop waiting for a reply

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a little trigger you need to apply pressure with your thumb. I’ll get a pic

OP
OP

Sp703

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gx470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found two things to help and I got mine freed. I put it out in the sun and let things get nice a hot. The plastic that attaches the downward latch now has some flex in it. Secondly someone mentioned in the FB group they had the same issue and used a small cord to slip into the J hook and made a loop so that they could pull down on the hook itself. Between those two things it's freed now and at least while it's warm I'm able to open and close it using the cord to pull down on the hook.

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so not so much a trigger. But when you unlatch, pull down on the mechanism while you swing it back up, if that makes sense. You’ll feel the roof header come down a snitch, and the j hook will disengage.
Ford Bronco Bestop Trektop won’t unhook 8BD793A9-94DD-41E7-B749-03CF2452AC28

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so not so much a trigger. But when you unlatch, pull down on the mechanism while you swing it back up, if that makes sense. You’ll feel the roof header come down a snitch, and the j hook will disengage.
Ford Bronco Bestop Trektop won’t unhook 8BD793A9-94DD-41E7-B749-03CF2452AC28
Thank you for this! Just got mine installed and haven't been able to figure it out til I read this 😂

Kalieb

Big Bend
First Name
Kalie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Installed my top a couple days ago. It won't open even using the little button. Feeling frustrated!

thewedge

Wildtrak
First Name
Joby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco WIldtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Installed my top a couple days ago. It won't open even using the little button. Feeling frustrated!
I could not get mine open either...took it off and it's sitting in the garage. So far a giant waste of money.

SlowPoke

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just installed a trektop on my 4 door and everything went fine. I close the top, flipped the levers and it locked to the factory hinges. Problem is when I unlocked the two levers the J hook won’t fully clear the factory hinge. So the lever disengages but I cannot get the hooks to drop out to lift the top. Anyone had this issue or have any advice? It’s happening on both front hinges so it feels like I am doing something wrong but I’ve tried everything and no dice.
Hey man, Did you ever get this resolved? Having the same issue now. Everything installed great, and it fits tight as a drum, but now I cant unhook it at the windshield. WTH...

Sponsored
OP
OP

Sp703

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gx470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey man, Did you ever get this resolved? Having the same issue now. Everything installed great, and it fits tight as a drum, but now I cant unhook it at the windshield. WTH...

Yes, in short I had to muscle it to get back open and continue slightly adjusting the angle/fit of the back half the top. That helped and over time I'm guessing being in the sun and stretching did as well but the initial installation I had to tweak to get things aligned.

SlowPoke

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, in short I had to muscle it to get back open and continue slightly adjusting the angle/fit of the back half the top. That helped and over time I'm guessing being in the sun and stretching did as well but the initial installation I had to tweak to get things aligned.
Thanks for the reply! Which parts did you adjust, if you don't mind me asking? The mounting brackets or the linkages? I don't really see much that can be adjusted. Speaking of... Holy S#it were the windows a bear to put in... lol!

OP
OP

Sp703

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gx470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the reply! Which parts did you adjust, if you don't mind me asking? The mounting brackets or the linkages? I don't really see much that can be adjusted. Speaking of... Holy S#it were the windows a bear to put in... lol!
Mounting brackets. That + I think stretching out a bit solved it.

cactusbase

Base
First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone fully solved this? same issue and tried most of these steps to no avail

Last edited:

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone fully solved this? same issue and tried these steps to no avail
Be sure the sun visor is flipped down. If not, the latch will not swing far enough to disengage.,
Sponsored