Sponsored

Better Financial Choice vs I just want one!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thinking that it wouldn't be long before I got my Bronco after reservations started, I sold my XJ while the getting was good. A year went by, including a summer, and with no vin in site, I decided to buy a 2015 JKUR as a hold over.

Here's the problem: I really like my JKUR. It's currently all stock and has an incredible sound system, but lacks most of the modern techie gadgets and only has a 5 speed auto.

One thing I have come to learn, is off-roading/overlanding is not cheap. I could keep my JKUR, put a lift and 35's, add a rear view camera, and do many other things to it like install real skid plates, buy a Fridge, install one of dozens of winch bumpers, racks, etc...basically totally build it out and still be under (or maybe equal) to what I'll be paying for my WT.

With the WT, it has no real underbody armor, few if any good winch bumper choices, but does come with lots of awesome tech and modern conveniences, but a suck ass radio.

Waiting 500+ days gives a person a lot of time to think, And I find myself torn between fully building out my Jeep (which may need major engine/transmission work in the next 5-10 years) or for the same money get a new Bronco but then having to spend even more to outfit it.

In addition, used car prices are over inflated right now. So I'll get more of my money back selling my JKUR sooner, than say waiting 5 years until the Bronco has stabilized, and then trying to recoupe, especially knowing that you don't get your "Built-Out" money back. (E.g. the longer I keep my JKUR, the larger Financial hit I'll take).

I know, 1st world problems, but it is still a dilemma that I'm spending way too much time thinking about.
Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you like your jeep I say just keep it, build it to your liking and in a few years if you still want a bronco get one then. If i was smitten with a jeep at the moment a bronco wouldn't be on my radar with all the delays and constraints currently.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For sure the 18 month wait has given most of us much time to ponder and second guess our decision to go down this rabbit hole...there's pros and cons to both sides of your dilemma. I suppose it depends a lot on your intended use. Considering some of the first year, and I'm sure second year, Bronco issues IMO If you plan to be primarily wheeling I'd probably keep the jeep and pimp it out as you describe and probably still have enough cash left for a case of beer.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If ya are more interested in semi/actual hard core “wheeling”, keep the jeep. If on road and off-road “exploration” is your thing get the Bronco. Vehicles are never a good investment...

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks all for your replies. Having some additional perspective can always help. I'm still undecided and probably will be for a while.

The most difficult thing right now is not buying anything for the JK because If I don't keep it it would be a waste of money.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I generally advise against long term ownership of a FCA product
Lol .... Well the Bronco isn't turning out to be much different with Ford's crap QC.