First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, 2x4, SB, L6, 5spd; '07 Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A PHEV would be cool and all, but I want to know if it is "future proofed" enough to be fully electrified? I'd hate to see such a cool vehicle die like the FJ because it couldn't keep up with the inevitable changes of the industry.
Sponsored

biggygreg

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ Cruiser, 1985 CJ-7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the FJ died because of the suicide doors. I own a 2007 and those doors are kind of a pain in the ass, especially when you have children you're trying to get in and out when parked adjacent to another car. I do love my FJ though. 285K miles and still drives great without any issues.

FireSquatch

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the FJ died because of the suicide doors. I own a 2007 and those doors are kind of a pain in the ass, especially when you have children you're trying to get in and out when parked adjacent to another car. I do love my FJ though. 285K miles and still drives great without any issues.
You just reminded me why I hated my F150 super cab and why I need 4 doors.?

OP
OP
BroncoJosh

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You just reminded me why I hated my F150 super cab and why I need 4 doors.?
Lol, I'm weird. I'm "old fashioned" enough to demand a 2 door, but forward thinking enough to want pure electric. My first car was an '88 FSB and I grew up with both parents driving EBs (Mom had wagon V8/auto, Dad had 1/2 cab L6/3spd). I guess you can't please us all. Nice job trying, Ford.

biggygreg

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ Cruiser, 1985 CJ-7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lol, I'm weird. I'm "old fashioned" enough to demand a 2 door, but forward thinking enough to want pure electric. My first car was an '88 FSB and I grew up with both parents driving EBs (Mom had wagon V8/auto, Dad had 1/2 cab L6/3spd). I guess you can't please us all. Nice job trying, Ford.
I think the two door looks better but I'm going with the 4dr because its just more practical for my use.

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A PHEV would be cool and all, but I want to know if it is "future proofed" enough to be fully electrified? I'd hate to see such a cool vehicle die like the FJ because it couldn't keep up with the inevitable changes of the industry.
I'm not really interested in an electric Bronco ..I really don't think plug-in electric is the future ..it's a gap filler. Japan -- probably the best indicator is moving away from plug-in electric and going with hydrogen (The whole country, not just the manufacturers). Plug-in Electric is not really clean..the vast majority of it depends on fossil fuels. I don't have time for 45 min electric charges, 30 min, 20 min, 15 min 10 min ..maybe 5 min or less would be the range. A Hydrogen based Bronco would be a fairly easy to switch over to. The need for rare element mining in Africa (or Russian or China) for batteries would not be necessary and The toxic waste from old batteries will not be needed. Hydrogen based automobiles don't use batteries, they power electric motors directly.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...backing-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars/#.XzKyS7Q8KfA

Just my two cents

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Battery powered car are a lifestyle, not a solution. Type lithium mines in Google image and tell me this will be saving the planet! Electric motor on a vehicle is a solution to reduce emission.
We need to find a way to store electricity in a better and cleaner way than battery. Hydrogen cells are also a way, but at this moment hydrogen production create as much emission as fossil fuel.Most country wont go battery because they don't have the infrastructure to provide the electricity to the charging station and the investment needed is not reasonable enough to do it.

OP
OP
BroncoJosh

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Battery powered car are a lifestyle, not a solution. Type lithium mines in Google image and tell me this will be saving the planet! Electric motor on a vehicle is a solution to reduce emission.
We need to find a way to store electricity in a better and cleaner way than battery. Hydrogen cells are also a way, but at this moment hydrogen production create as much emission as fossil fuel.Most country wont go battery because they don't have the infrastructure to provide the electricity to the charging station and the investment needed is not reasonable enough to do it.
I like the simplicity and torque of an electric drive train. Also, there's potential waterproofing beyond ICE capability. Hydrogen requires bulky cells, but that system may get compacted in the future. It makes more sense for big rigs atm. A lot of the infrastructure woes can be lessened with V2G. I think battery energy density will continue to improve. The CCS charging infrastructure is coming up around here. I will not argue environmental impact, idk. We're running on a decent proportion of nuke on our grid here (arguably clean).

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Count me for one of those that don’t believe electric is the future but wish the ridiculing of perfectly clean fossil fuels would end.

As an engineer that has spent a great deal of time at coal and Natural gas power plants, including in scrubbers costing in excess of $1Billion dollars, the outdated rhetoric is hurting a huge industry.

Currently I work in an industry that supports the development of hydrogen fuel cells and I’ve taken a few technician level classes on working on these units. They have a long way to come, even if Toyota is having some success it doesn’t mean the average company can repeat what Toyota does on a scale large enough for manufacturing.
Plug Power comes to mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoJosh

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Count me for one of those that don’t believe electric is the future but wish the ridiculing of perfectly clean fossil fuels would end.

As an engineer that has spent a great deal of time at coal and Natural gas power plants, including in scrubbers costing in excess of $1Billion dollars, the outdated rhetoric is hurting a huge industry.

Currently I work in an industry that supports the development of hydrogen fuel cells and I’ve taken a few technician level classes on working on these units. They have a long way to come, even if Toyota is having some success it doesn’t mean the average company can repeat what Toyota does on a scale large enough for manufacturing.
Plug Power comes to mind.
I agree that coal gets a worse wrap than it deserves. It's like people think that those plants are just an open burn barrel or something. I used to live across the lake from a nuke/coal combo plant. People commented that it heated the water up too much for the fish, but the lake was built AS A RADIATOR for the plant, lol. I want electric and believe it is coming, but I'm not going to try to pin an eco-hero badge on it or anything.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree that coal gets a worse wrap than it deserves. It's like people think that those plants are just an open burn barrel or something. I used to live across the lake from a nuke/coal combo plant. People commented that it heated the water up too much for the fish, but the lake was built AS A RADIATOR for the plant, lol. I want electric and believe it is coming, but I'm not going to try to pin an eco-hero badge on it or anything.
Electric would have significantly better acceptance and support if it were not pinned to such an extremist, crazy group of enviroterrorists; and wasn’t pushed so hard by the government.

Tesla has done right by avoiding that “eco“ aspect; everyone else has floundered because they use that narrative to sell their cars OR they sell compliance cars that are seemingly designed to fit such a narrative.

I can see myself in a Model S, but the Bolt, Leaf, C-max(albiet PHeV) - not a chance in the world.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoJosh

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Electric would have significantly better acceptance and support if it were not pinned to such an extremist, crazy group of enviroterrorists; and wasn’t pushed so hard by the government.

Tesla has done right by avoiding that “eco“ aspect; everyone else has floundered because they use that narrative to sell their cars OR they sell compliance cars that are seemingly designed to fit such a narrative.

I can see myself in a Model S, but the Bolt, Leaf, C-max(albiet PHeV) - not a chance in the world.
Agreed, compliance cars annoy me (Ford we're looking at you with that Focus EV garbage). I wish they hadn't named the Mach-e a "Mustang", but I still have high hopes for it.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford hasn't really been at the forefront of ev/hybrid stuff

The plug in escape just got a warning that you shouldn't charge it because it might catch fire
https://insideevs.com/news/438499/ford-kuga-escape-phev-sales-halted-fire/

I would expect the f150 hybrid to slot in as the power train for hybrid bronco. Generally a good EV has to be designed as an EV from the start.

OP
OP
BroncoJosh

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would expect the f150 hybrid to slot in as the power train for hybrid bronco. Generally a good EV has to be designed as an EV from the start.

Yes, I agree.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The instant torque available from electric motors is too enticing to be ignored in off-road vehicles for much longer. We'll all see how it actually pans out in the 4xe though. And the Rivians. Tank turn anyone?
Sponsored