Beware Loose Driveshaft Bolts

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Several folks are reporting a clunk in the rear when releasing the break pedal, wonder if this could be related? I have the rear end clunk but no vibration at highway speeds, I'll check mine anyway to be sure.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know what the green stuff is on that bolt but since the pink thread locker doesn't appear to be disturbed meaning if it left the factory like that, it was never tightened. Fail on them. Second fail is if the first statement is true, the dealer didn't do the PDI inspection because there's no way this wouldn't have been caught. Not that this is all on the dealer but part of the reason why Ford pays us to do a final inspection after arrival before it get's to the end user. Not saying there couldn't be some other reason but based on the mileage and pics, wow, just wow.

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know someone who will be crawling under a Bronco today o_O

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know what the green stuff is on that bolt but since the pink thread locker doesn't appear to be disturbed meaning if it left the factory like that, it was never tightened. Fail on them. Second fail is if the first statement is true, the dealer didn't do the PDI inspection because there's no way this wouldn't have been caught. Not that this is all on the dealer but part of the reason why Ford pays us to do a final inspection after arrival before it get's to the end user. Not saying there couldn't be some other reason but based on the mileage and pics, wow, just wow.
Do any dealers actually put vehicles on a hoist and check various fastener torques as part of PDI any more? Beyond maybe lug nuts, I’d be surprised much else gets checked. Remove the plastic, check the oil, wash it and send it out the door.

Sponsored

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do any dealers actually put vehicles on a hoist and check various fastener torques as part of PDI any more? Beyond maybe lug nuts, I’d be surprised much else gets checked. Remove the plastic, check the oil, wash it and send it out the door.
Around here the PDI's are pretty extensive. When mine delivered in May I sent the dealer a good long list of things to please check, and they said absolutely, we already have those in our regular checklist

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone had a problem with loose driveshaft bolts? Four days and 400 miles after I (finally) picked up my Bronco Base, I started to notice a slight vibration in the drivetrain. At first I speculated it was caused by the 33's mud terrains I had just put on or maybe the lug nuts needed tightening. Checked that and NOPE. About 40 miles into the slight vibration I heard a loud bang in the undercarriage. I stopped and crawled under the Bronco and found all the driveshaft bolts either loose or GONE (see pic). I did find one bolt laying on the road that caused the loud bang when came off and hit the underside of the body. Needless to say, after 4 days and 440 miles, my bronco is on the back of a tow truck on its way to the dealer. We will see what they have to say.

I searched the forums and didn't find any mention of anyone else having loose driveshaft bolts, so I am hoping this is an isolated incident. Maybe someone at MAP had a bad trip the night before and just forgot to torque them down? Anyway, I am glad I caught it when I did because I doubt that driveshaft would have stayed together much longer and THAT would have made my day a lot worse. I did see where the Transit Connect van recently had a recall for a similar issue with driveshaft bolts.

So if you start hearing or feeling a slight unidentified vibration on your Bronco, make sure to check your driveshaft bolts. Heck, check them now just to be safe. It wasn't much of a vibration, so beware.

IMG_20220812_174611193.jpg

IMG_20220816_121334112.jpg

IMG_20220816_121449116.jpg
I am really sorry to read this happened, Jerry. I added this issue to the Owners Checklist for Delivery (OCD), and I forwarded it to a contact I have at MAP to hopefully get it to the right work cell.

I hope the dealer takes good care of you. I agree with @flip: this should have been a) caught at MAP, and b) caught during Dealer PDI.

OCD Link: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...cd-version-for-expectant-bronco-owners.29870/

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We do it every time on any new, used, dealer trade or courtesy delivery that comes across our lot. Ford pays us to complete this inspection. Any dealer not doing it needs to and be charged back for the PDI $$ Ford paid them. IMO, it's completely inexcusable for it not to be done and borderline negligent.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Five-O Donut Hole

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Raptor-Loaded-Original Owner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone had a problem with loose driveshaft bolts? Four days and 400 miles after I (finally) picked up my Bronco Base, I started to notice a slight vibration in the drivetrain. At first I speculated it was caused by the 33's mud terrains I had just put on or maybe the lug nuts needed tightening. Checked that and NOPE. About 40 miles into the slight vibration I heard a loud bang in the undercarriage. I stopped and crawled under the Bronco and found all the driveshaft bolts either loose or GONE (see pic). I did find one bolt laying on the road that caused the loud bang when came off and hit the underside of the body. Needless to say, after 4 days and 440 miles, my bronco is on the back of a tow truck on its way to the dealer. We will see what they have to say.

I searched the forums and didn't find any mention of anyone else having loose driveshaft bolts, so I am hoping this is an isolated incident. Maybe someone at MAP had a bad trip the night before and just forgot to torque them down? Anyway, I am glad I caught it when I did because I doubt that driveshaft would have stayed together much longer and THAT would have made my day a lot worse. I did see where the Transit Connect van recently had a recall for a similar issue with driveshaft bolts.

So if you start hearing or feeling a slight unidentified vibration on your Bronco, make sure to check your driveshaft bolts. Heck, check them now just to be safe. It wasn't much of a vibration, so beware.

IMG_20220812_174611193.jpg

IMG_20220816_121334112.jpg

IMG_20220816_121449116.jpg
Now that is completely messed up and woefully unacceptable. How does that even happen to a new vehicle?

OP
OP
ApolloU

ApolloU

Base
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess I did not realize this was part of the PDI. Holy Cow, I've already had a pretty bad expereince with my dealer.
  1. They screwed up my order (I asked for BaseSquatch three times and ended up getting Non-Squatched.)
  2. They tried hard to convince me I was not price protected (I reserved 10/1/20). I finally had to call Ford myself to get my certificate number.
  3. Now they screwed up the PDI.
I AM NOT HAPPY. The Bronco was delivered to them last night and I have not heard from them yet. What a messed up experience. I think I will stick to Toyota next time (here's hoping for a new FJ Cruiser.)

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The world is a scary place. Forums are even scarier. Drive your bronco and stay off forums. You will be much much happier.

OP
OP
ApolloU

ApolloU

Base
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The world is a scary place. Forums are even scarier. Drive your bronco and stay off forums. You will be much much happier.
Personally, I think bolts flying out of my driveshaft is scarier than anything I read on a forum.

OP
OP
ApolloU

ApolloU

Base
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
UPDATE:

So my dealer just sent me a nice inspection video showing the missing bolts as seen in my original post pic. He also said the flange on the rear differential is damaged as well as the flange on the driveshaft. They are ordering a new differential flange and new driveshaft and hardware. Of course, everything is on back order. They put in an “emergency” request.

CRAP!
Sponsored