Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Normally I just blow something like this off, but it really just rubbed me the wrong way and I thought I'd share.

I had a potential issue come up where I wanted to mail some documents to an individual with proof of delivery. Years ago this was called "delivery confirmation" and was like $0.60 on top of the normal stamp.

So I went to the post office, told the clerk I wanted to mail this letter, the signature was not necessary, I just wanted proof that it got delivered. She told me that they don't have to delivery confirmation anymore, now it's called tracking and instead of $0.60 It would cost me $9.

Being that this was important, I agreed (painfully) and off I went. A week later when I checked the tracking number, I saw that there was a problem. I called the post office, told him the situation, and they basically told me that it was "probably delivered" but no way to know.

So I politely ask them, I understand, but I paid $9 to send a letter specifically for tracking. Per your website, if services I paid for we're not delivered, I'm entitled to a refund.

Now this is where it gets interesting....

I was told by multiple post office representatives, that none of their mail is guaranteed to be delivered except for something called "priority Express" (not just priority which is what mine was).

So I basically point blank asked... So you're saying that you basically lost my package and you won't even refund me my postage?.... You can guess what the answer was.

I didn't proceeded to ask, with the fee that I paid, my receipt says that I'm insured up $100. How can I go about filing a claim? ... Their answer ..... An insurance claim is only good for items of actual value, and being that your item was simply documents, it is not eligible for a claim.

So I recapped the situation for the representative....

"So instead of putting a $0.60 stamp on a letter, I paid $9 to prove that it got there. You can't confirm that it got delivered, you refused to give me my money back, and you're telling me that I can't file a insurance claim, is that correct?" ..... Yes .... "So I'm basically SOL?" ..... Yes.....

Then I lost it a little bit, still somewhat polite I said "No wonder people are switching to other carriers"... And hung up.

I may write a letter to the regional postal service department, I may not.

Just beware, if you are mailing anything through the post office that is not using their highest paid "priority Express" (basically they're guaranteed overnight sort of service).... And they lose your shit....you are sol!

The exception, might be if your item contains something of value that you can prove with receipts and be willing to put up and jump through hoops.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
USPS isn't the same as it used to be. Best to go with fedex, ups if you need it done right.

Reality is they just can't handle even normal mail. I didn't get any mail in June or November. I'm not kidding. I got a couple phone calls from people that got my mail returned to them, asking if i moved. Basically, if the usps doesn't feel like delivering they just return it.

I called their customer service line, they opened a case. Postmaster of local PO called and said they are undersraffed and he would look out for my mailšŸ¤£. I don't think I'm going to hold him to that promise...

This may seem like a complaint, but it isn't. I'm not mad at all, just have accepted this is how they operate now.

Like i said, if it is important do not use them. I do most things online now because of it

Last edited:

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Funny thing about the understaffing is they they keep releasing articles about how you can make $100k working for themā€¦then a former or even current worker chimes in and says that theyā€™re making $100k because theyā€™re working 80-100 hours a week and never see their families. They canā€™t pay or treat their employees right. But since itā€™s a government job the benefits are amazing and itā€™s really hard to fire someone. So employees just donā€™t care. Iā€™ve had many complaints over the years about carriers and services ā€œrenderedā€. Theyā€™ll just threaten to cut off all services and you can get a P.O. Box. šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ–•šŸ»

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Over the years I've had trouble with all the carriers. I do know that if it's important docs, then I always pay extra for Signature confirmation. I have never lost one with this option, and she should have been up front about that. There are more options like sending up to 3 oz. First Class Certified with return receipt for $8-, less than PM.
Ford Bronco Beware of shipping with the Post Office Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.35.26 AM

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve stopped trying to ship anything with USPS. Itā€™s so damn expensive.

I shipped a coffee mug to the east coast, and the shipping cost more than the mug itself! Probably not much better than the other shippers, either. You could buy the same mug on Amazon (probably cheaper, too) and have it shipped directly to the recipient for free. Itā€™s no wonder Bezos is a billionaireā€¦

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™ve stopped trying to ship anything with USPS. Itā€™s so damn expensive.

I shipped a coffee mug to the east coast, and the shipping cost more than the mug itself! Probably not much better than the other shippers, either. You could buy the same mug on Amazon (probably cheaper, too) and have it shipped directly to the recipient for free. Itā€™s no wonder Bezos is a billionaireā€¦
Seriously... i just shipped a 7lb coffee maker back for warranty work... $56...

Never again

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Years ago I was sitting on my porch with my 14 year old (blind) Labrador by my side. I saw the Mail Person walking up for delivery so I moved and sat down nearer the walkway with my Lab on the far side.

Next thing I know the postal employee is going Postal! Yelling at me about how I can't have that dog on my porch, she went so far as to pull her pepper spray and point it at us. I calmly explained that my Lab was blind and on a leash, could barely walk, and couldn't get to her even if she wanted to. She continues yelling telling me, telling me she can stop delivery to my entire neighborhood if she even sees my dog again. I helped my old girl to her feet and we walked inside and closed the door.

Funny thing was, that postal person had been delivering to my house for years and knew my dog my name. That old girl was the most friendly, calm dog I've ever known, she didn't even bark unless you told her to. Strange how Dogs can bring out the best and worst in people.

Never paid much attention to the comings and goings of the postal person until then, then I started to see a pattern. She would come by at 9 am and take a break for 60 to 90 minutes parked two doors down- everyday! She was regular as clockwork. It was rather obvious she was on a device, oblivious to anything else. Asked my neighbor if he had observed this, he said no but his WiFi kept slowing down around that time of day but didn't know why.

Turned out his WiFi was unsecured and the postal person was watching her Soaps and doing some Web-Surfing on his Wifi every morning (during work). He secured his WiFi, and she requested another route. I guess as a senior Postal Person she could choose her route, from time to time I'd see her parked in another neighborhood, on her device.;)

It's no wonder that the post office runs at a deficit every year

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Over the years I've had trouble with all the carriers. I do know that if it's important docs, then I always pay extra for Signature confirmation. I have never lost one with this option, and she should have been up front about that. There are more options like sending up to 3 oz. First Class Certified with return receipt for $8-, less than PM.
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.35.26 AM.png

I didn't include this part of my original story, but when she first offered me a service it was signature required and was half the price. So I asked her, let me get this straight, if I have a mail person knocking on someone's door and waiting for them to sign it, that cost me half as much than if I just ask them to put it in a mailbox and scan it? Ues she said.

I would have gone that route (sounds like I should have) But I was concerned the person would not sign for it, or be home because it was an apartment complex. Just wanted delivery confirmation for judge Judy :)
Sponsored