Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello Everyone!!!

I want to put this out there before it starts happening to more and more vehicle especially any that have upgraded their Suspensions on your Bronco. The rear axles on any of the Bronco's are not designed well enough to handle Trail turn assist with these Rear Axles (unless you brace the axle tubes and pumpkin). The axle tubes aren't welded properly from the factory to handle the force of the inner tire braking while activating Trail Turn assist in our vehicles. You're literally applying tons of pressure to the axle tubes while it brakes the inner tire. The brake is directly connected to the axle tube so when it apply's the braking force to just one single tire it's putting tons of pressure on that axle tube and could cause it to break the welds on the inner section going into your pumpkin. There is only 2 weld points that hold the axle tube from turning essentially, the top and bottom weld (Pictures Below).

Attaching pictures of my Passenger Side which is still welded and Drives Side which the welds are GONE!!

My Ford Dealer is Denying it and I have attached their reasoning of why they're saying No to even asking Ford to Warranty my Rear Axle.

I have a 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch. I have seen multiple other people that have experienced the same issue's and some that have been deny'd by their ford dealers.

Ford Bronco Beware: Trail Turn Assist causes axle weld failure that dealer won't warranty!!! IMG_5242
Ford Bronco Beware: Trail Turn Assist causes axle weld failure that dealer won't warranty!!! IMG_5243
Ford Bronco Beware: Trail Turn Assist causes axle weld failure that dealer won't warranty!!! IMG_5244
Ford Bronco Beware: Trail Turn Assist causes axle weld failure that dealer won't warranty!!! image_0 2
Ford Bronco Beware: Trail Turn Assist causes axle weld failure that dealer won't warranty!!! IMG_5240
Ford Bronco Beware: Trail Turn Assist causes axle weld failure that dealer won't warranty!!! IMG_5239
Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yikes. This is the second one of these posted in as many weeks and will only get worse.

Ford needs to step up...

They won't, but they need to.

I love my Bronco and have tons of money it, would be hard to let it go but these major failures just keep stacking up.

Marketing, engineering, and the bean counters were so far apart from each other with the Bronco its embarrassing.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yikes. This is the second one of these posted in as many weeks and will only get worse.

Ford needs to step up...

They won't, but they need to.

I love my Bronco and have tons of money it, would be hard to let it go but these major failures just keep stacking up.

Marketing, engineering, and the bean counters were so far apart from each other with the Bronco its embarrassing.
Weld all around the joint between the axle housing and diff, then change your diff fluid. My manual doesn't have TTA, but getting my rear diff welded properly may be in the cards anyway.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think they will consider having their FSE come in to make the call? If you're stock and knowing this has already been reported, dealer shouldn't have any issues covering (assuming no impact or other obvious damage). Getting the FSE in to make the final determination will be additional insurance for them to ensure Ford pays the claim.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I really don't think the dealer has any say in warranty work. If a client walks in wanting warranty repair, then it is the dealers responsibility to file for approval if said dealer deems the repair questionable. The client has the right to ask for a FSE at anytime client feels the response from dealer is incorrect without pursuing verification from Ford Corp. Then the Ford engineer will determine the steps forward.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This has been mentioned before and Allan (@BigMeatsBronco ) had suggested such.

I also think people need to be honest with whether they are using TTA to execute a sharp turn on a trail as they accelerate less than 5mph. Or whether they are executing TTA donuts in a field. The surface that the TTA is executed on also needs to offer slippage.

If these diff welds were a problem, then the Off Roadeo rigs should have a documented history of failure. I'm not sure about the other locations, but the Austin location had a sand pit that they demonstrated the TTA.

SlpybearTX

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Race Red Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That stinks.

Can you list your current build, specifically the changes you made to suspension and powertrain from the stock, as-built config? Looking through your posts i saw the following mentioned:

"Baja Kit - Long Travel Pre-Runner Setup (Upper + Lower Control Arms, King Adjustable Compression Coilovers, Upper + Lower Trail Arms, and Bash Plate)
37" Cooper Discovery STT Pro Tires 37x12.5x17
RRW RR6-H Hybrid Beadlock Wheels (Soon I hope to have the beadlocks)

Future Mods:

Whipple Stage 1 upgrade kit"

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming it would be pretty obvious of this happened? I need to crawl under mine tonight and check. I like to accidentally bang it up.

Is this just a plug/spot weld to make assembly quicker (where a normal person would weld completely around the tube)?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeezus is that ever the statement.
What would be impressive is if they actually learn from it and effectively apply those lessons.

Some of these issues have been rearing their ugly heads in other make/model markets also, especially the marketing aspects.
If they(the industry) learn anything from the Bronco debacle, it could cause major ripples across the board.

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think Ford has any obligation to cover this under warranty because of your upgrades/larger tires, and maybe they were also able to pull some data on what kind of speeds you hit with TTA and whether or not they were higher than specified.

It could possibly be caused by a manufacturing/welding issue but, coming from someone who has worked with repairs/RMAs, I completely understand why Ford would deny warranty on a modified vehicle unless they just wanted to do it to make you happy.

If this was a stock Bronco and we 100% knew that TTA was only used as specified it would be different, but I don't think this can be completely put on Ford IMO.

Sponsored

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't think Ford has any obligation to cover this under warranty because of your upgrades/larger tires, and maybe they were also able to pull some data on what kind of speeds you hit with TTA and whether or not they were higher than specified.

It could possibly be caused by a manufacturing/welding issue but, coming from someone who has worked with repairs/RMAs, I completely understand why Ford would deny warranty on a modified vehicle unless they just wanted to do it to make you happy.

If this was a stock Bronco and we 100% knew that TTA was only used as specified it would be different, but I don't think this can be completely put on Ford IMO.
Living in the world of GM f-bodies (Camaro/Firebird) having 10-bolt rear ends, can't agree more with this sentiment. The GM 10-bolt rears in the cars were barely enough to handle stock power. Anything beyond that, you are/were on your own for longevity.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am getting sick of how often Ford blames the driver for using the vehicle for what it was built for. I would never use the feature on anything other than slick surfaces though. Should have just had a true dig then it would not happen.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is this just a plug/spot weld to make assembly quicker (where a normal person would weld completely around the tube)?
Plug welding is the norm across the board. And under normal circumstances is sufficient.

But like all parts, if you over work it or over stress it, it will break. If you were to fully weld the axle tubes and something is over stressed like in this scenario, then the damage could possibly be worse. In my opinion, when you shear a plug weld, you are relieving the stress immediately vs full axle twist.

OP
OP
badbronc4x4

badbronc4x4

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You know TTA can't be used past a specific speed. Not sure what speed that is but I have only used it in a slow turn. It's just like the Sway Bar Disconnect. How would Suspension upgrades cause the welds to break loose? Even saying the bigger tires on 4.70 gearing an axle tube spun or broke loose backwards not forward. So for example if I was doing a sharp left turn with TTA the force on the Brake Caliper that is connected to the outside Axle Tube (Keep in mind the axle tube is there for protection for the axle) it is applying enough force pressure on one wheel twisting the Axle Tube in the opposite direction of the Passenger side. There is no damage to the axle tubes, pumpkin to support me slamming on a rock. Which is why Jeeps use a Truss system because they slam on the axle at times.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really don't think the dealer has any say in warranty work. If a client walks in wanting warranty repair, then it is the dealers responsibility to file for approval if said dealer deems the repair questionable. The client has the right to ask for a FSE at anytime client feels the response from dealer is incorrect without pursuing verification from Ford Corp. Then the Ford engineer will determine the steps forward.
Warranty coverage is completely up to the dealer unless there is some sort of prior approval for a part (which most things do not have)
Also I don’t think any customer has the right to request an FSE to come out, however they do have the right to contact Ford directly if they believe something being denied should be covered. In which case Ford may then send out an FSE.

That being said, I do believe most good dealerships would automatically involve Ford or an FSE in this situation. I know for a fact that my dealership would. Unfortunately not all dealerships are the same.

Either way, this should be a warrantable concern in my eyes.
Sponsored