Sponsored

BFG KO2s To Replace My Sasquatch Tires Which Load Rating?

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting the BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2s to replace my Sasquatch tires.
Are you running the LT315/70R17 Load Range C or the 315/70R17 Load Range E?

I think the C rated for a softer sidewall for more comfort on the road, more flexibility when airing down on the trail, and slightly less cost. Also, not towing or having super heavy loads.

Thanks for the feedback.

FYI: I thought about Nitto Ridge Grapplers but can't find them anywhere and have K02s on my Ranger and have been very happy with them.
Sponsored

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been very happy in all conditions including snow with the Sasquatch tires. They are much lighter than the KO2 even in C load.
However if I had to go with KO2 I would get the C load.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have been very happy in all conditions including snow with the Sasquatch tires. They are much lighter than the KO2 even in C load.
However if I had to go with KO2 I would get the C load.
I think K02s are the best but Sasquatch tires aren't bad either.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you abuse your tires, get the E, if not get the C.

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had several pairs of KO2s, and the Sasquatch tires are better in almost every way, unless you need a tougher tire in load range D or E. I would not go less than D if replacing tires due to the increased durability on the trail.

Sponsored

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really like that the stock Good Year Sasquatch tires are very light weight. The thing I hate about them is the tread pattern picks up stones. Even worse then the KO2s on my Jeep. I didn't think that was possible. Lol.

Getting ready to order Rokblokz front mud flaps to take care of the problem while my Bronco is brand new. Catch it in the but now before there's a problem.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the feedback. I have new Method wheels as well and plan to swap day one and sell the stock Sasquatch wheels, tires and TPMS as a set to maximize the sale price so keeping the stock tires isnt an option for me.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do some research. Many people incorrectly associate the ratings with the sidewall "durability" which is not always the case.

Obviously you know that a higher weight rating tire will have stiffer sidewalls and make for stiff rides, and can even affect how flexible the tire is once aired down.

Just to give an example, when I was researching tires, I found that a 1" skinnier tire of the same tire (Don't recall which one it was at the moment) was actually heavier. So I actually called the tire manufacturer and asked them how could a narrower tire be heavier than their wider version.... Turns out it was all because of the density of the rubber that was used between the two, because the skinnier one was more durable.

(Same load rating as well)

Sponsored
OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do some research. Many people incorrectly associate the ratings with the sidewall "durability" which is not always the case.

Obviously you know that a higher weight rating tire will have stiffer sidewalls and make for stiff rides, and can even affect how flexible the tire is once aired down.

Just to give an example, when I was researching tires, I found that a 1" skinnier tire of the same tire (Don't recall which one it was at the moment) was actually heavier. So I actually called the tire manufacturer and asked them how could a narrower tire be heavier than their wider version.... Turns out it was all because of the density of the rubber that was used between the two, because the skinnier one was more durable.

(Same load rating as well)
Thanks! Great advice1

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Getting the BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2s to replace my Sasquatch tires.
Are you running the LT315/70R17 Load Range C or the 315/70R17 Load Range E?

I think the C rated for a softer sidewall for more comfort on the road, more flexibility when airing down on the trail, and slightly less cost. Also, not towing or having super heavy loads.

Thanks for the feedback.

FYI: I thought about Nitto Ridge Grapplers but can't find them anywhere and have K02s on my Ranger and have been very happy with them.
We also wanted to add some additional information. One thing to keep in mind is the purpose between having a C rated and E rated tire. This was not done for off-roading purposes. It is about the load carrying capacity. In most cases in order to get a C rated tire to carry more air pressure which in turn increases its load carry capacity, a tire manufacturer will change the belt angle and reinforce the inner liner. This allows the tire to carry up to 80 psi.

In some cases the side effects of these changes effect the ride quality and the off-road protection. Typically speaking the C rated tires will ride a little better than an E rated because the E rated has more reinforcement in the inner liner causing a stiffer tire sidewall. In other cases the E rated tire may have an extra sidewall ply specifically for off-road protection.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We also wanted to add some additional information. One thing to keep in mind is the purpose between having a C rated and E rated tire. This was not done for off-roading purposes. It is about the load carrying capacity. In most cases in order to get a C rated tire to carry more air pressure which in turn increases its load carry capacity, a tire manufacturer will change the belt angle and reinforce the inner liner. This allows the tire to carry up to 80 psi.

In some cases the side effects of these changes effect the ride quality and the off-road protection. Typically speaking the C rated tires will ride a little better than an E rated because the E rated has more reinforcement in the inner liner causing a stiffer tire sidewall. In other cases the E rated tire may have an extra sidewall ply specifically for off-road protection.
Thanks appreciate your comment. Any deals for a set of 5 BFG LT315/70r17s? 😃

Last edited:

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In some cases the side effects of these changes effect the ride quality and the off-road protection.

….. because the E rated has more reinforcement in the inner liner causing a stiffer tire sidewall. In other cases the E rated tire may have an extra sidewall ply specifically for off-road protection.
So, when choosing tires how would we know if a particular tire was E rated because of inner liner reinforcement or extra sidewall ply?

BTW - I bought my last set of truck tires from you guys after years of using Les Schwab and we‘ll be using your Reno shop for my wife’s car again this fall.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks appreciate your comment. Any deals for a set of 5 BFG LT315/70r17s? 😃
PM on the way

So, when choosing tires how would we know if a particular tire was E rated because of inner liner reinforcement or extra sidewall ply?

BTW - I bought my last set of truck tires from you guys after years of using Les Schwab and we‘ll be using your Reno shop for my wife’s car again this fall.
Unfortunately there is not a database with this info. In some cases it would be advertised on the tire manufacturers website, in other cases the only way to know would be looking at the side of the tire themselves to see the ply count.

At the end of the day, our intent with bringing this up was to advise that the E rated tires design is around load carry capacity, not the additional puncture protection.

Tires are a product of compromise, no tire can score 5 out of 5 in every performance attribute, meaning there will always be a give and a take. In this case if ride quality and tire weight are the biggest priority, go with a C range tire if you can find it in the size you are looking for.

If you plan to tow heavy loads often or are just wanting every bit of peace of mind when offroading, the E load range may be the better choice.

Lastly, thank you for your prior business!
Sponsored