Sponsored

BFG Trail Terrains or Michelin Defenders?

Chris029

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Has anyone put the BFG Trail Terrains or Michelin Defenders on their Bronco and what are your thoughts? My Bronco will never go off roading so i'm looking for better options than the OEM Bridgestone Duelers. I have a 4dr Big Bend with 17" wheels. Thanks
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone put the BFG Trail Terrains or Michelin Defenders on their Bronco and what are your thoughts? My Bronco will never go off roading so i'm looking for better options than the OEM Bridgestone Duelers. I have a 4dr Big Bend with 17" wheels. Thanks
I'd see if BFG All-Terrains fit. No better than that.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Far as I'm concerned, the Michelin Defenders (and previous iterations of the LTX line) have been and still are the gold standard for a truck/SUV highway tire. I hit the six digit mileage mark on a set on my old pickup and put a new set on a Navigator a few months back. Great traction wet and dry, and whisper quiet while doing it. Only downside is the price, but for the service life I've gotten out of them the $/mile equation has been extremely favorable.

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you're not ever going to off-road, the Defenders are a fine choice. Had them for quite a bit on my previous car, and they were great. Quiet, efficient, capable on dry/wet/snow, and long-lasting.

I might be one of the first to put the BFG Trail-Terrains on my Outer Banks (275/65/18). They're definitely a more aggressive tire than the stock Duelers or the Michelins and look great, but they ride noticeably more firm than the Duelers; can't say they're any noisier though. I think my fuel economy has gone down slightly though as they're nearly an inch wider and a little heavier than the Duelers.

I ended up going with the BFG's because I wanted a more appropriate-looking tire for the Bronco, and I also wanted something that would be ready for light off-road duty. Anything is better than the stock Duelers though!

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Defenders all day, everyday... best on road truck tire ever made.

Sponsored

argrin

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tacoma TRD Offroad, KTM 690 E, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You want something a little better then the Bridgestone Duelers in what way if you are not going off road? Looks or better on road? Defenders would be considered better in my book on road, but anything all terrain will just look better but not necessarily perform better on road. In my opinion.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As other noted, this is going to be a case of which is more important to you.

If ride qualify, longevity, wet traction are most important, the Michelins would be the better route.

If you are wanting a more aggressive looking tire for aesthetics, the BFG or similar AT tire would be a great choice as many of them offer a great balance between on and off road features.

Denis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How about Michelin LTX A/T2? Looks more aggressive than Defenders ... If look is important, but not willing to sacrifice too much on comfort, fuel economy ... Have no experience with either of tires, this would more of a question than statement

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How about Michelin LTX A/T2? Looks more aggressive than Defenders ... If look is important, but not willing to sacrifice too much on comfort, fuel economy ... Have no experience with either of tires, this would more of a question than statement
Michelin LTX A/T2 are not much of an offroad improvement. Chevy stuck them on 2500 and they didn't last on our mining rigs more than 6 months. I had a set of cooper AT3s make it 2 years on an identical rig.

Denis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Michelin LTX A/T2 are not much of an offroad improvement. Chevy stuck them on 2500 and they didn't last on our mining rigs more than 6 months. I had a set of cooper AT3s make it 2 years on an identical rig.
Of course, wasn't thinking of LTX A/T2 of a proper offroad tire. More like an option for someone who spends 95% in the city, and some light offroading few times a year, kind of pros/cons vs Michelin Defender. Which one is "more" offroad? :)

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Of course, wasn't thinking of LTX A/T2 of a proper offroad tire. More like an option for someone who spends 95% in the city, and some light offroading few times a year, kind of pros/cons vs Michelin Defender. Which one is "more" offroad? :)
I wouldn't even put it on the list, no improvement over the defender. Defender will get 10-15k more miles of wear.

Last edited:

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you're not ever going to off-road, the Defenders are a fine choice. Had them for quite a bit on my previous car, and they were great. Quiet, efficient, capable on dry/wet/snow, and long-lasting.

I might be one of the first to put the BFG Trail-Terrains on my Outer Banks (275/65/18). They're definitely a more aggressive tire than the stock Duelers or the Michelins and look great, but they ride noticeably more firm than the Duelers; can't say they're any noisier though. I think my fuel economy has gone down slightly though as they're nearly an inch wider and a little heavier than the Duelers.

I ended up going with the BFG's because I wanted a more appropriate-looking tire for the Bronco, and I also wanted something that would be ready for light off-road duty. Anything is better than the stock Duelers though!
How have the BFG Trail-Terrains held up for you so far? I ran over a metal roof on the highway today & my stock Big Bend duelers are gashed along the sidewalls. Looking at getting some TTs in 285/70/17. The light weight of them is pretty appealing.

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How have the BFG Trail-Terrains held up for you so far? I ran over a metal roof on the highway today & my stock Big Bend duelers are gashed along the sidewalls. Looking at getting some TTs in 285/70/17. The light weight of them is pretty appealing.
I liked them a lot - way more sporty than the Duelers, they gripped better. The only thing is that they tended to break loose on wet pavement a lot more than I would have liked. Never got to try them off-road. Since then, I got a set of Black Diamond takeoffs and am now running General Grabber APTs which I've been pleased with for on and off-road.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I liked them a lot - way more sporty than the Duelers, they gripped better. The only thing is that they tended to break loose on wet pavement a lot more than I would have liked. Never got to try them off-road. Since then, I got a set of Black Diamond takeoffs and am now running General Grabber APTs which I've been pleased with for on and off-road.
Appreciate it! Read that a lot about the Trail Terrains, how they get a bit squirrely in wet weather. Not sure if KO2s are any better, but I decided to go the tried and true route of KO2s this time around.
Sponsored