Sponsored

Big Bend 2.7L EcoBoost vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road (Keeping Long Term)

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, admittedly I find myself on the fence a little bit with getting the Bronco vs 4Runner. I'm super excited about the Bronco and everything it has to offer. We have an 2015 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew that we bought new and love. We throw the dirt bikes in the back and head up into the hills, or it has been great for hunting, fishing, or anything else. That's pretty much a lot of what we like to do. We currently live Western Washington but will for sure move to Eastern Washington within two years when our son heads off to college. We want to live on a sizable piece of property and enjoy the outdoors even more. (We might even move out of WA - still looking for "large" property.) Knowing there is more cold weather and likely snow going east - or other states we are looking at, want to keep that in mind for this purchase.

I'm looking specifically at a Big Bend with 2.7L EcoBoost (with ONLY adding the towing capability and auxillary switches - I figure anything else I can pick/choose later) vs a 2021 4Runner TRD Off-Road (with towing capability). I want to make sure that whichever I pick will be capable for our use (as mentioned above) and last long term (thinking 10+ years). The 4Runner from everything I see and hear is certainly capable, reliable, and long-lasting - though "boring/outdated" however it may be stated, I do like them. Everything I have seen so far from the Bronco looks like it is certainly capable. Any "speculative" thoughts on long-lasting reliability or performance?

I need to get my build over to my dealer pretty quick (thus converting my reservation to an order - and I am an "early" reservation, but who knows what the exactly means for actual delivery).

If we end up in Eastern WA there will be plenty of nice days to keep the roof and/or doors off - which would be very fun. Not sure on some other states we are looking at, and again the Bronco looks highly capable for what we do. Just last minute hesitation on what-if's with getting a Bronco I suppose.

Maybe that's me just thinking out loud, but appreciate any input :)
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

There are risks buying 1st year run vehicles. Are you willing to accept that and take care of any warranty work/issues that may arise? I would imagine some small annoyances may pop up. The engine and trans are proven at least.

The 4runner will be trouble free albeit "boring" as you stated. My mother has gone through 2 4runners in 21 years. Her first one still runs and drives fine.

I'd chose the Bronco.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A new platform VS one that's been around a while that's due for a refresh with a large aftermarket support. This could be a coinflip at best

I don't know... Id say it really depends on your timeline. Do you have a reservation? When was it made, Do you know the allocation you have with your dealer or when you expect to get yours? MY21 or MY22. Do you have the availability to wait?

You can get a 4Runner today. The bronco... there's a lot of what ifs there. I'm a fan of both vehicles. You probably get the better bang with your buck with the Bronco but the 4Runner is available today and is a proven platform

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 4Runner will out-tow the Bronco but it sounds like that's not a consideration given you have the pickup. You say you want the tow package but I assume that's for a utility trailer or similar and not a travel trailer. 4Runners hold their value very very well and we don't yet know about the Bronco.

I don’t have anything more to help you beyond that if you're crossing the Cascades anyways you're welcome to move north as well!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would suggest you move up to BD and get the 4A case for the use and locations you describe if you decide on a Bronco. For mountains/snow/changing conditions it has several benefits. I do not believe the Toyota offers a full time option, but I could be wrong. For me, that alone would be a big benefit of the Bronco. I lived in Seattle and spent time in the mountains and high dessert East (OR and WA). I had a Bronco with a part time case and ended up with an Explorer with a full time option. It is much nicer and has several significant benefits for that type of situation and varied terrain. The Toyota will likely be very reliable and a great rig. Make sure you spend time in one before pulling the trigger. I find the seating position very low and the sensation of sitting on the floor, legs stretched out can get old. I have been in a Bronco and found the seating position very comfortable, but it was 30 minutes, so no clue how it will feel after a couple of hours? The power train in the Bronco is also light years better than the Toyota in terms of power and drivability (based on the 2.7 in other applications at least). The Toyota 6SP and 6CYL are not quite up to the 2.3l power levels and are not really in the same league, power wise, as the 2.7/10sp. Add the turbo and higher elevation benefits and the difference is probably even more noticeable. 15 years and 200k miles later? The Toyota is likely still going on the same motor, the Ford, maybe a Turbo or two and likely some other additional repairs/maintenance items required, but that's all just a guess and luck of the draw to some extent.

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncojimmy

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are risks buying 1st year run vehicles. Are you willing to accept that and take care of any warranty work/issues that may arise? I would imagine some small annoyances may pop up. The engine and trans are proven at least.

The 4runner will be trouble free albeit "boring" as you stated. My mother has gone through 2 4runners in 21 years. Her first one still runs and drives fine.

I'd chose the Bronco.
I'm willing to take care of warranty work/issues knowing it's Bronco's first year back in a while. Just hoping that we're not out in "no where's-ville" and get stuck LOL Maybe that would just add to the adventure of being outdoors haha I enjoy just driving and being in a vehicle as much as the trip, so definitely like the looks and options the Bronco has :)

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First year worries are nonsense to me for this. It borrows nearly everything from somewhere else.

Have you sat in and/or driven a 4R? Extraordinarily uncomfortable driving position to me. And then there's gear hunting on the highway.

And top only comes off once.

OP
OP
broncojimmy

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A new platform VS one that's been around a while that's due for a refresh with a large aftermarket support. This could be a coinflip at best

I don't know... Id say it really depends on your timeline. Do you have a reservation? When was it made, Do you know the allocation you have with your dealer or when you expect to get yours? MY21 or MY22. Do you have the availability to wait?

You can get a 4Runner today. The bronco... there's a lot of what ifs there. I'm a fan of both vehicles. You probably get the better bang with your buck with the Bronco but the 4Runner is available today and is a proven platform
I do thankfully have an "early" reservation, which is a 1013xxxx made on 07/14/20. My dealer indicated that it could possibly be a June/July delivery. Not entirely sure that would be the timeframe, but if it is that would be very nice. Hard to believe that is only 3-4 months away, and will have been a year since the reservation. Dealer indicated if I don't convert to an order by March 17th then it becomes a 2022.

I agree there's more bang for the buck with the Bronco. They end up being priced nearly the same (with the TRD Off-Road model).

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do thankfully have an "early" reservation, which is a 1013xxxx made on 07/14/20. My dealer indicated that it could possibly be a June/July delivery. Not entirely sure that would be the timeframe, but if it is that would be very nice. Hard to believe that is only 3-4 months away, and will have been a year since the reservation. Dealer indicated if I don't convert to an order by March 17th then it becomes a 2022.

I agree there's more bang for the buck with the Bronco. They end up being priced nearly the same (with the TRD Off-Road model).
I came from a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad. While not the same vehicle in many aspects, I can say I was underwhelmed for its reputation. Had a lot of technical service bulletins to fix things that the dealerships would end up fighting me on. I ended up having to print them out and bring them with me. One or two is fine but I probably went through a dozen of them before selling it in 2020. I feel Toyota is riding the curtails of their own reputation and many other brands (like ford) have seriously closed the Gap. Just my personal experience.

OP
OP
broncojimmy

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First year worries are nonsense to me for this. It borrows nearly everything from somewhere else.

Have you sat in and/or driven a 4R? Extraordinarily uncomfortable driving position to me. And then there's gear hunting on the highway.

And top only comes off once.
Been thinking/wondering the same thing, that "first year worries" may not be an issue.

I've spent a little time in a fiend's 4Runner (not as the driver though), and test driven a few in the last year (but never pulled the trigger). That could be an indicator - not having bought one then :unsure:

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To make things tougher for you, I believe toyota is coming out with the next gen of 4runner for 22, so depending on what they do to the platform and what your most important features are, you could have a very hard decision in front of you.

I have a late July reservation, and I am right now slated for a 22. To me, the Toyota reliability wins over the Broncos removable roof and door. I'm just really waiting to see what they do with the 4Runner. I love the Bronco looks and overall capabilities. It's going to be a tough decision for me.

Last edited:

AwakeOnABus

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i • Toyota 4Runner Limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Get a 4runner and put a magnuson supercharger on it - suspension, wheels, and tires to suit.

There - not boring anymore.

Last edited:

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't care about Toyota any more than I do Jeep . . . I have been in the Bronco camp ever since the reveal, first day reservation and looking forward to delivery of the WT in time to pull the top off for a few summer days . . . which can not happen with the Toyota. I am willing to take all the first-year risks and have good faith in my dealership to stand behind any potential issues . . . and in 36 months if it proves to have been a bad purchase I will bid her farewell and carry on. But Toyota . . . nope..
Sponsored