Sponsored

Big Bend 2.7L EcoBoost vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road (Keeping Long Term)

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unless I’m reading this wrong...

BMW reliability above Toyota? That’s quite literally ridiculous. To add insult to injury Mini above Ford! 😭😂
You are reading it wrong.

Toyota's reliability is better than BMWs. You must be looking at the overall score, which is also based on their road tests. BMW scores much better on that portion, and they should. They make fun cars to drive.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here. This is less complicated. :D

Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L EcoBoost vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road (Keeping Long Term) brand 1

---------------------------------------

Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L EcoBoost vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road (Keeping Long Term) brand 2

OP
OP
broncojimmy

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Toyota's reliability is better than BMWs. You must be looking at the overall score, which is also based on their road tests. BMW scores much better on that portion, and they should. They make fun cars to drive.
VERY fun to drive, but damn expensive when the need to have work done (and I would what I could myself before sending to a BMW shop). Had a 1987 E30, and 2000 and 2005 E46 over the years. SOOO fun but won't go down that road anymore LOL

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess the confusion comes from reliability being the topic at hand. The list there doesn’t really delve too deeply into that. Something like the JDPower ranking would offer a little more info here. Depending on the year Ford generally ranks in the top half of reliability rankings. Vehicle reliability is at an all time high across the board. With a few exceptions for brands that should be avoided due to the cost and frequency of repairs, I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve gone back and forth between Toyota and Ford for last 18 years and haven’t had much in the way of problems from either. Anecdotally, the vehicle I put the most miles on by far was a 2002 explorer.

Both the 2.3 and 2.7 are generally considered good and reliable engines. The wildcard might be the new getrag 7mt but the hope is that after the issues they had on the mustang that reliability won’t be a concern. Here’s hoping...

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncojimmy

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would suggest you move up to BD and get the 4A case for the use and locations you describe if you decide on a Bronco. For mountains/snow/changing conditions it has several benefits. I do not believe the Toyota offers a full time option, but I could be wrong. For me, that alone would be a big benefit of the Bronco. I lived in Seattle and spent time in the mountains and high dessert East (OR and WA). I had a Bronco with a part time case and ended up with an Explorer with a full time option. It is much nicer and has several significant benefits for that type of situation and varied terrain. The Toyota will likely be very reliable and a great rig. Make sure you spend time in one before pulling the trigger. I find the seating position very low and the sensation of sitting on the floor, legs stretched out can get old. I have been in a Bronco and found the seating position very comfortable, but it was 30 minutes, so no clue how it will feel after a couple of hours? The power train in the Bronco is also light years better than the Toyota in terms of power and drivability (based on the 2.7 in other applications at least). The Toyota 6SP and 6CYL are not quite up to the 2.3l power levels and are not really in the same league, power wise, as the 2.7/10sp. Add the turbo and higher elevation benefits and the difference is probably even more noticeable. 15 years and 200k miles later? The Toyota is likely still going on the same motor, the Ford, maybe a Turbo or two and likely some other additional repairs/maintenance items required, but that's all just a guess and luck of the draw to some extent.
My initial thought was a BD, but decided I'm not sure on the marine grade vinyl. In eastern WA we spend a bit of time on a boat, and in that hot weather the sun gets that viny nice n' hot LOL not sure I want the Bronco to be that hot when I jump in and out of it. At least at the lake I'm sitting back down on hot vinyl with wet swim shorts :ROFLMAO:

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last winter I bailed on the Bronco and got a new 4Runner TRD Pro for MSRP. Now with the Broncos finally coming out, I am intrigued, but happy I got the 4Runner. Which is best for you depends on which is the best fit for what you do. I just saw that the 2.7liter Bronco gets similar gas mileage to the 4Runner. That surprised me. Granted the Bronco makes much more power. Since purchasing my 4Runner I have made two trips from the Pacific Northwest to California and back, hauled a dirt bike on a hitch rack a few times, and done a lot of trips hauling mountain bikes to riding areas. I have also done some off road driving and was impressed with the TRD Pro suspension. I finally realized that the TRP Pro has more than enough off road capability for my use. The Bronco or Jeep have way more capability than I would ever need. The Bronco is new and has tons of cool features. I really like it and came pretty close to buying one, but the simple old school 4Runner is the best fit for me. I am done with mods, which included putting a couple of maxtraxx on the roof rack, installing an ARB air pump under the hood, and installing a Souther Style Off Road bumper with a warn winch. The increased tongue weight limit on the 4Runner is important for hauling my dirt bike around. Also having the spare tire under the car makes doing hitch related hauling way easier. Anyway, both are great choices, but the 4Runner is working well for my needs.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last winter I bailed on the Bronco and got a new 4Runner TRD Pro for MSRP. Now with the Broncos finally coming out, I am intrigued, but happy I got the 4Runner. Which is best for you depends on which is the best fit for what you do. I just saw that the 2.7liter Bronco gets similar gas mileage to the 4Runner. That surprised me. Granted the Bronco makes much more power. Since purchasing my 4Runner I have made two trips from the Pacific Northwest to California and back, hauled a dirt bike on a hitch rack a few times, and done a lot of trips hauling mountain bikes to riding areas. I have also done some off road driving and was impressed with the TRD Pro suspension. I finally realized that the TRP Pro has more than enough off road capability for my use. The Bronco or Jeep have way more capability than I would ever need. The Bronco is new and has tons of cool features. I really like it and came pretty close to buying one, but the simple old school 4Runner is the best fit for me. I am done with mods, which included putting a couple of maxtraxx on the roof rack, installing an ARB air pump under the hood, and installing a Souther Style Off Road bumper with a warn winch. The increased tongue weight limit on the 4Runner is important for hauling my dirt bike around. Also having the spare tire under the car makes doing hitch related hauling way easier. Anyway, both are great choices, but the 4Runner is working well for my needs.
Hell, I'm sticking with the '08 4Runner fulltime 4WD V8. I was intrigued by the super-badass Bronco 4dr that has fulltime 4HI, Sasquatch, and actually a very reasonable cost since you get front/rear lockers, 4A, etc. Badass offroad/onroad SUV right off the lot for somewhere between 35k-44k.

Yeah, it would be difficult to hookup my 3klb dry 1706fb travel trailer with the spare on the tailgate. The trailer is lifted so I use a 6" rise hitch and the Bronco spare will not allow an easy hookup. Bronco is an upgrade in many ways but a downgrade in a crucial way for me - towing.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did the exact same thing. I'm very intrigued by the Bronco (which is why I keep visiting this forum), but in the end I needed a new vehicle before 2022, and I'm ambivalent about having a removable top. I'm looking forward to seeing Broncos on the road and test driving one eventually, but I've got almost 6,000 miles on the TRD Pro now, and I'm loving it as much as the day I bought it. Zero issues with it so far. I'll be curious to see what the landscape looks like in a couple years when the Bronco is more established and Toyota rolls out the next generation 4Runner.
Sponsored