Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good job! Nice post, very informative! Where did you get the speakers etc.? Do the baffles increase the bass response or just the overall quality of the sound? After just changing out the speakers do you feel like that was enough or maybe you need to add an amp?
I got all my stuff from Crutchfield. I think the baffles act more like a vibration deading device to help keep the rattles at bay. Also acts as an extra layer of protection from moisture and other dirt that might creep in from the back panels.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great! I'm excited to do this install. Can you share which boom mats specifically you ordered? I see there are slim and regular depth ones. I also have the metra rings and wiring connectors ready for the 6.5s, but I am going to use positaps to connect the bass blockers into the factory harness for the dash and pods unless you have a smoother method to recommend.
Here is my full list from Crutchfield:
Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 1633980070003

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great job! thank you, I bookmarked this, depending on how satisfied I am with the 6 speakers, I may have to do couple of tweaks.

STX Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SuperCrew 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Awesome write up @BroncRik. So if you wanted to add a sub (JBL Bass Pro or such) can you splice into the 6.5 and feed it to the back to mount it? I would assume you need to run a power feed from the battery as well.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so you removed the factory wire harness going to the 4 inch speakers and used the connectors on that? Sorry if it's silly but I haven't messed with car audio and I know there isn't a plug a play adapter for the 4 inch yet to my knowledge.

Sponsored

debbeyq

Big Bend
First Name
Debbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special, we have 3 teen drivers
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome, we plan to upgrade our Big Bend...once we get it :)

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you need those bass blockers. What is your thoughts on them?

WldOne

Outer Banks
First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for your write up. I subscribed so I can follow. I’m expecting my OBX very soon. I got the high package so I might do this speaker swap myself. Trying to decide on Kicker or Polk if I do the swap.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you need those bass blockers. What is your thoughts on them?
I would have not thought to get them, but I learned from reading others' experiences on the forum that there are bass blockers built into all the factory 4" speakers. It makes sense as there is no reason to have the lower frequency distort the clarity on the smaller speaker when you have a larger speaker that can handle that just a few inches away. It does make a difference in the overall sound which is really what we all want. I did choose not to do that on the rear speakers as they are the only speakers back there and did not make a lot of sense to have half the sound back there.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

so you removed the factory wire harness going to the 4 inch speakers and used the connectors on that? Sorry if it's silly but I haven't messed with car audio and I know there isn't a plug a play adapter for the 4 inch yet to my knowledge.
Not silly, but yes I did hard-wire the front and rear speakers which is why I got those Posi Connectors. If you are more comfortable Soldering then that is great too. Or you might also use the solder and shrink butt connectors that you can use with a heat gun. I chose the route that required the least amount of additional equipment that I would likely not use very often.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

WldOne

Outer Banks
First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@BroncRik do you remember what the positive and negative wire colors were for all the 4” speakers?

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@BroncRik do you remember what the positive and negative wire colors were for all the 4” speakers?
All this information is on the schematic he included in the original post.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All this information is on the schematic he included in the original post.
It is on the diagram however it can be a little confusing. So to clarify, right dash speaker positive is green/blue and the left dash speaker positive is violet/gray

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is on the diagram however it can be a little confusing. So to clarify, right dash speaker positive is green/blue and the left dash speaker positive is violet/gray
Thanks for that last little tidbit, it was truly not clear. It'd be nice if they have positive/negative on both sides.
Sponsored