Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to remove my bumper tomorrow to install the Ford trailer hitch. I found a video from AIG on youtube and it looks pretty straight forward. However in the video the bumper they have doesn't have sensors. I have the Big Bend with the rear plastic bumper and it has sensors. I haven't had a chance to peak under there so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had trouble removing this bumper or if it is straight forward with another plug to unplug.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here is that youtube
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it's the same as my front mod bumper, all the sensors are tied into one wire bundle that has a harness you can unplug. Just unplug before taking off the bumper.

Hopefully yours is just as easy.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I put on the rc hitch, they want u to remove the bumper but I didn't feel like doing that if I didn't need to so I put the bolts in from the front to the back and there was no issues took me all of 5 minutes to do

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just finished up installing Ford hitch. The bumper with sensors had one additional wiring clip on the passenger side for the rear sensors. Otherwise this was exactly like the video.

Two easy wiring clips to unclip and 8 bolts. Crazy easy!

Last edited:

Skanderbeg

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Just finished up installing Ford hitch. The bumper with sensors had one additional wiring clip on the passenger side for the rear sensors. Otherwise this was exactly like the video.

Two easy wiring clips to unclip and 8 bolts. Crazy easy!
I installed the hitch, but I'm having an issue with the connectors I'm not hearing a click when I connect them. It's giving me a parking sensor fault error. Did you have any issues connecting the connectors back?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the hitch, but I'm having an issue with the connectors I'm not hearing a click when I connect them. It's giving me a parking sensor fault error. Did you have any issues connecting the connectors back?
It’s been a while but I remember it clipping in pretty easily. We’re you able to resolve your issue?

Skanderbeg

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

It’s been a while but I remember it clipping in pretty easily. We’re you able to resolve your issue?
Not yet I’m gonna try it again Sunday. I’m going to use some silicone spray see if that helps.

Bronco_Mo

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

yes I'm having an issue reconnecting the sensor connectors and I too am getting parking sensor fault...

kpecks

Wildtrak
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2023 Wildtrak 4dr Lux
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same here. Installed hitch. One connector “clicked” back in, the other didn’t. Not sure why but I have the fault now too.

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Installed the drawtite hitch without removing the bumper as well..

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I replaced my rear and I too had an issue reconnecting my parking brake sensors. In fact, it was so hard to replace them I broke them trying to get them to clip back in:(.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm putting mine on this week/weekend. This video was helpfully to make sure I got everything unhooked and didn't just pull.

I don't recall if I saw the instructions in the box now, what was the tq spec for the bolts? Eh, I'll just uga-dugga them in really good.

mikkibtune

Wildtrak
First Name
Mikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition King Ranch, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

NEW HITCH and the parking sensor party.

So I self installed a new hitch for an upcoming trip. I squeezed the clips on the sensor harness but they were still kind of hard to release . I did the usual wiggle and they finally gave. Now I went to put them back in and NO BUENO. No click, and it threw the parking sensors every time I started the vehicle. Apparently not EVERY Bronco has these issues but some do.

The problem: Let's face it, you're upside down, the clips are in a hand cramp spot behind those fender well cut your palms up plastic liners and you can't even SEE everything you need to, because theres two different sets of male pins on each plug that go in differently and ya don't want to bend those by forcing them. . Besides, theres just enough play there the way its mounted to kind of send things in a bad direction if you push too hard.

1. I removed the harness from the mount and pulled it gently over the top of the bumper where i could SEE EVERYTHING in the light .
2. I checked for dirt, debris, bent pins, malformed gaskets, plastic housing or other f-ery.
3. I blew some compressed air in there anyway just to be sure because SOMETHING was causing that clip not to go over the catch. That didnt do it.
4. The plastic housing was slightly mis-shapenso I squeezed that a little but that didnt do it .
5. No pins were bent and thngs lined up the way they should.
6. I sprayed some pam cooking spray not only on the insides of the housing but the outsides of the male end of the plug.
7. I visually aligned things perfectly but also started kind of at a slight angle to make sure the pins actually entered the holes properly first, and slowly.
8. I pressed on the tabs to release the catch inward as much as possible and STILL had to press really firmly to get that plug to catch.

Outcome: My problem is solved . My alarms are no longer sounding and all seems functional and well. I do have some concerns about this plug breaking for people.

Side Note : a CRAP TON of dirt / road debris collects in that section of the vehicle too. Im tempted to really wrap that connection with a ton of electrical tape and then pound the p*ss out of that whole area with undercoating because I live in the salt belt .
Sponsored