Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The smell doesn't bother you? I know that is silly but I build and ride motorcycles the majority of the year so I am biased when it comes to stuff like that. I also enjoy offshore fishing in the gulf and naturally the boat we charter has two Detroit diesel inboards that smell like hell when fishing off the back. It gets old after being out there for a day. With that being said, I couldn't see myself enjoying an open air experience in a diesel vehicle. But I do enjoy the idle sounds of an old school 7.3L FWIW. lol
Yeah, make sure to keep the top on when you are crawling on the trail, and the vehicles behind you aren’t going to love you after a long day.

Thought about a diesel JL, until they launched it and the torque buys you nothing for towing capacity, and the weight buys you less payload - like if you’re rolling with four adults leave the cooler home less.
Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd like to be able to run CNG when I drive it off the lot, or at least with minimal modding afterward.

I don't think either of us will get what we want, but that 3.0L diesel is probably more likely.
I would be shocked if they offer a diesel. I am actually shocked they finally decided to put one in the F-150.

But, I must have a manual option. Diesel would just be the cherry on top.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Diesels DO NOT have more BTU's per lb than gas. Less.Alot less.
Diesel fuel (DFM, heating oil) is 15 percent more energy dense than gasoline. On the molecular level it’s comprised of more long-chain hydrocarbons. It is a fact that it has more energy in it than a comparable quantity of gasoline and that will never change.
I only sorta remember my thermodynamics courses from my physics degree so I'm going to avoid getting too deep into this because I don't want to crack out textbooks, but I'm just gonna comment on this point because this is two people being correct in different ways.

Diesel fuel is more energy dense by volume. (38.6 vs 34.2 MJ/L)

Gasoline is more energy dense by mass. (46.4 vs 45.6 MJ/kg)

Ok, I'm out, carry on.

Last edited:

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just FYI - up to half of this forum is mechanical engineers
Excellent, so that means at least half the people will understand what I wrote.

BTW, half the people in the world are below average too.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I only sorta remember by thermodynamics courses from my physics degree so I'm going to avoid getting too deep into this because I don't want to crack out textbooks, but I'm just gonna comment on this point because this is two people being correct in different ways.

Diesel fuel is more energy dense by volume. (38.6 vs 34.2 MJ/L)

Gasoline is more energy dense by mass. (46.4 vs 45.6 MJ/kg)

Ok, I'm out, carry on.
Excellent post. I actually did not see he wrote PER POUND vs PER GALLON.

I will still say that Diesel is more energy DENSE. I don't know anyone who measures liquid fuel for ground vehicles (not airplanes, sattelites, near earth orbitors, rockets or any lighter than air craft) by it's weight. I say that was a trap and I fell right into it.

Last edited:

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As an engineer, you should know that's now how averages work ;)
True. But it sounds good to the uninformed. Or do we need to start talking about medians and means.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Excellent post. I actually did not see he wrote PER POUND vs PER GALLON.

I will still say that Diesel is more energy DENSE. I don't know anyone who measures liquid fuel for vehicle by it's weight. I say that was a trap and I fell right into it.
It's pretty common in aerospace to measure fuel by weight.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's pretty common in aerospace to measure fuel by weight.
Right, so I said vehicles. I should have stipulated ground vehicles vs airplanes, near earth orbitors, sattelites, rockets or any lighter than air craft.

And jet fuel is basically kerosine, which is in the same family as diesel.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Right, so I said vehicles. I should have stipulated ground vehicles vs airplanes, near earth orbitors, sattelites, rockets or any lighter than air craft.

And jet fuel is basically kerosine, which is in the same family as diesel.
Okay fine, but air/fuel ratio is necessarily measured as a ratio of masses because air density is highly variable, so the fuel specific energy is what really matters to the combustion process.

You did say energy density and not specific energy so you were technically correct on that count, but again, it's specific energy that makes the magic happen.

Yes diesel has longer hydrocarbon chains but those chains require more energy to be broken apart to take part in combustion so the net energy gain is lower.