Big hood size, engine optimism ?‍♂️

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Its amazing what you can do with mid to late 90s cars if you know a thing or two about electronics. Maybe some day I'll tell the story about how I converted R33/R34s and a 22B to OBD-II using a W210 as a test mule ...
? I'm listening
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Its amazing what you can do with mid to late 90s cars if you know a thing or two about electronics. Maybe some day I'll tell the story about how I converted R33/R34s and a 22B to OBD-II using a W210 as a test mule ...

That's a lot of Greek for me to understand it all but I'll take a stab at the 22B for $200 Alex. :LOL: Maybe being Toyota, like 22RE but older model ?? I am curious why OBD-II ??? advantage ??? sorry for being dumb. Though it was all just emissions/ gov't regulation, tree hugger stuff added to EFI. Didn't think there was a performance advantage.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That's a lot of Greek for me to understand it all but I'll take a stab at the 22B for $200 Alex. :LOL: Maybe being Toyota, like 22RE but older model ?? I am curious why OBD-II ??? advantage ??? sorry for being dumb. Though it was all just emissions/ gov't regulation, tree hugger stuff added to EFI. Didn't think there was a performance advantage.
The advantage is you can't drive a non-obd2 car built 1996 or later in the Land of the Free until it's 21 years old or older. Well, some states don't care (looking at you, Florida ...) but the feds had better not find out ...

Unfortunately the whole story will have to wait until 2027 :censored:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Didn't know the particulars like that but I get your drift. ?

and upon some more thought I'm thinking the R33/ R34 it's Mitsubishi maybe...…..

I'll google it and fill myself in to save you the typing :ROFLMAO:

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't know the particulars like that but I get your drift. ?

and upon some more thought I'm thinking the R33/ R34 it's Mitsubishi maybe...…..

I'll google it and fill myself in to save you the typing :ROFLMAO:
Nissan my friend, Skylines.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OOHHH Skylines !!!!! not a big import fan but I know THAT ONE !!!! One must know his enemies young jedi. :ROFLMAO:

For the record I'm down with anything fast and badass regardless of make.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Seeing how there is not much going on right now I will entertain you all with some knowledge of something I learned long ago and it may not apply now because ECM tuning has come a long way since then.

So the year would be 1990 and I own me this bad to bone, nasty little mind twister call a 5 OH Mustang. I always worked on it, not to fix it, just to make it faster, and always had the battery disconnected. When done working I would reconnect the battery and ALWAYS go through the same procedure. No electronics on, restart, don't touch anything, allow to find an idle ( on it's own), allow to come up to temp, when at temp kick the A/C on, push on the brake ( making the computer make small changes with load changing). Then and only then, begin to drive. And once I could get to a point where it was safe, BEAT THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF IT. Why do this??? It was explained to me one time that Ford's ECM is adaptive. Meaning it had a "base" tune burned into it. While running it would adjust from this tune for how the sensors were reading. If you would always "put around" (like grandma') then it would think that is how it was supposed to run. Now after you would BEAT THE SNOT out of it would come around. But if you teach it to be on KILL all the time then that is how it runs. This all may sound crazy but I know because I could prove it to people, with their cars. I know a lot here like proof but my proof is only experience.

Along the same lines I would read about installing a shorter belt for an extra 20 HP. so I bought one and went to my favorite stretch of pavement where I always did my testing. First gear, powershift second and see how long it would lay rubber in second. Then install the shorter belt and guess what ?? It laid rubber twice as long in second. I'd say it works. Then go to track and sure enough couple of tenths. Back to back, with belt then with short belt. ( and yes I said read because this was before cell phone/ internet thing and that was how I got my info, by reading car magazines and applying good old fashioned "hot rodding")

I could amaze people in how much better I could make their cars run with ZERO $. By checking voltage at the TPS. checking initial and advance timing, giving the ECM the relearn trick. Just by optimizing what was there would make a big difference especially to those who are not gearheads.

I'm sure I have bored the engineers in here but I just had to put my own uneducated, common sense approach to the conversation. ECM's have come along since then, It was just for the engine back then. Speaking of which ....................... If I have it right the ECM Ford use in the speed density days which started in 86 was used all the way through 04 before being replaced by a "clean sheet" approach. i.e just revamped/ updated/ revised/ what ever term you want to use, the same computer just more inputs. To put it in perspective GM went trough, throttle body injection. bank fired port injection and then finally sequential port injection. The Mustang was sequential port injection from the start !!! Just like putting the distributor in the front of the engine and not having two exhaust ports next to each other, make it right from the start !!!!!

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, as I have stated before, I am not an engineer but I do have some real world experience and I'm 52 so I'm getting to the age where sometimes I am mistaken or get my facts wrong. ?
Now to go along with that, my Mitsubishi does the same thing with the INVESC-II gearbox. It's a 6 speed auto with a full manual mode (only time it shifts when in manual mode is to prevent the engine stalling), but in auto mode it has what they called 'fuzzy logic'. It'll learn your shift patterns and preferences, whether you short shift, want hard or soft shifts, whether you downshift on hills, etc and then will adjust the auto shifting to replicate that.

However, that means if you normally put around town and then go to a race...the transmission in auto mode will keep trying to upshift etc. So doing the pull battery lead for 10 minutes and reconnect trick can help a lot (or just use manual mode, of course)

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now to go along with that, my Mitsubishi does the same thing with the INVESC-II gearbox. It's a 6 speed auto with a full manual mode (only time it shifts when in manual mode is to prevent the engine stalling), but in auto mode it has what they called 'fuzzy logic'. It'll learn your shift patterns and preferences, whether you short shift, want hard or soft shifts, whether you downshift on hills, etc and then will adjust the auto shifting to replicate that.

However, that means if you normally put around town and then go to a race...the transmission in auto mode will keep trying to upshift etc. So doing the pull battery lead for 10 minutes and reconnect trick can help a lot (or just use manual mode, of course)
That's cool shit !!!! I see both you and frinesi2 have one listed. I will have to admit in 20 years of the auto parts business and being the back yard or neighborhood mechanic and a general gearhead since I can remember, I have not come across it. I must admit it sounds cool. :cool:(y)(y)

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That's cool shit !!!! I see both you and frinesi2 have one listed. I will have to admit in 20 years of the auto parts business and being the back yard or neighborhood mechanic and a general gearhead since I can remember, I have not come across it. I must admit it sounds cool. :cool:(y)(y)
It's funny too because he and I have almost polar opposite versions of the Pajero. Both are Japanese imports though - in the states they only sold the 4 door long wheelbase and called it the Montero.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I want to know how a shorter belt gets you faster track times.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

AAAHH yes I couldn't put my finger on it at first Montero …..

…... same as Dodge Raider :)

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I want to know how a shorter belt gets you faster track times.

No problem I can elaborate for 'ya, might have been kinda' vague on it.

Bypass the power steering pump gains you 20 ponies by not running the pump. Don't want to do it all the time it will ruin the rack. but at the drags not much driving time. Add 20 HP and if you have a good drag car should pick up a tenth or 2, and that could be bragging rights between 14.10 and 13 second timeslip.

I eventually installed a manual rack so I just had the ponies all the time and it kept my friends from wanting to drive because you actually had to DRIVE my Stang.

Funny thing about bypassing the power steering pump on these cars. I get calls all the time for people who want a shorter belt to bypass their A/C compressor, because its locked up. have to explain it doesn't work that way. It worked on a 302 pushrod Ford because that's how Ford made it. Easy to bypass because of the accessory drive layout. I'm sure they didn't design it that way it just worked out but they did offer the 302 without A/C. The bracket was still available from Ford Racing but may be discontinued now.

Last edited:

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No problem I can elaborate for 'ya, might have been kinda' vague on it.

Bypass the power steering pump gains you 20 ponies by not running the pump. Don't want to do it all the time it will ruin the rack. but at the drags not much driving time. Add 20 HP and if you have a good drag car should pick up a tenth or 2, and that could be bragging rights between 14.10 and 13 second timeslip.

I eventually installed a manual rack so I just had the ponies all the time and it kept my friends from wanting to drive because you actually had to DRIVE my Stang.

Funny thing about bypassing the power steering pump on these cars. I get calls all the time for people who want a shorter belt to bypass their A/C compressor, because its locked up. have to explain it doesn't work that way. It worked on a 302 pushrod Ford because that's how Ford made it. Easy to bypass because of the accessory drive layout. I'm sure they didn't design it that way it just worked out but they did offer the 302 without power steering. The bracket was still available from Ford Racing but may be discontinued now.
Ah.

THAT, I knew. Your wording threw me lol

But just a shorter belt...LOL. I was just thinking "that's gonna wear out the bearings and kill the alternator in a week".

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ah.

THAT, I knew. Your wording threw me lol

But just a shorter belt...LOL. I was just thinking "that's gonna wear out the bearings and kill the alternator in a week".

Yeah, sorry about that sometimes I think faster than I can type. try to proof read and I always editing it to try and get right.

edit: see just like this :ROFLMAO: Back in those early days what I was describing was called the "10 minute tuneup"

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you show me your datalogs from your Fusion Sport so we can compare?
Please stop talking in generalities about a car you don't have the slightest clue about.
I did have an Ecoboost Mustang now, so I speak from experience, plus there was that thread

Fortunately, I got my car in September and upgraded the intercooler in the dead of winter
Sponsored