elkram_b

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Acura MDX
Hi folks,

I've been searching but was never able to really find the answer... Is the new Bronco going to be bigger than the Explorer?

Thanks
Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Explorer - 119
Wrangler 4D - 118
Defender 110 - 119

It’s safe to assume the 4 door will be around the same size as these in wheelbase. Some sources and people have noted that the 4 door bronco looks to be closer to around 112 ... the 2 door is going to be much smaller.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This being said, remember when Ford made the terrible decision to bring in the explorer/expedition to replace the bronco. Broken hearts.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi folks,

I've been searching but was never able to really find the answer... Is the new Bronco going to be bigger than the Explorer?

Thanks
The 2020 Explorer is huge. Both width and length. It's not even close.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Explorer - 119
Wrangler 4D - 118
Defender 110 - 119

It’s safe to assume the 4 door will be around the same size as these in wheelbase. Some sources and people have noted that the 4 door bronco looks to be closer to around 112 ... the 2 door is going to be much smaller.
I suppose there is some level of subjectivity on what is meant by the term "bigger", but wheelbase is not a definitive determinant of overall dimensions.

2020 Explorer: Wheelbase: 119.1in. Exterior dimensions: ~ 198.8in. x ~79in.
2020 Wrangler 4d: Wheelbase: 118.4in. Exterior dimensions: 188.4in. x ~74in.

A difference of less than an inch in wheelbase, but a difference of over 10 inches in length and almost 5 inches in width. If the Bronco comes out "bigger" than the Explorer (absurdly unlikely), the brand will be in "big" trouble in my opinion.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I feel again in the minority group but I hope the 4 door is larger than the JL.
1 of the biggest gripes I hear and share with the JL is the lack of interior space and all these renders make it appear the Bronco will have less cargo capacity than the JL which doesn’t seem like a good strategy.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I suppose there is some level of subjectivity on what is meant by the term "bigger", but wheelbase is not a definitive determinant of overall dimensions.

2020 Explorer: Wheelbase: 119.1in. Exterior dimensions: ~ 198.8in. x ~79in.
2020 Wrangler 4d: Wheelbase: 118.4in. Exterior dimensions: 188.4in. x ~74in.

A difference of less than an inch in wheelbase, but a difference of over 10 inches in length and almost 5 inches in width. If the Bronco comes out "bigger" than the Explorer (absurdly unlikely), the brand will be in "big" trouble in my opinion.
Good point, I was thinking more truck minded and less SUV. As more times than not a longer wheelbase is equal to a larger truck. The actual in cab volume should be taken into account as well, but I couldn’t find the wrangers or defenders total in cabin volume....

explorer 151.5 cubic feet

I’m sure everyone wants a super spacious cabin for all our goodies, but want a small exterior specs for fun days on the trails.... I’m going to research TARDIS technology for a bit...

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel again in the minority group but I hope the 4 door is larger than the JL.
1 of the biggest gripes I hear and share with the JL is the lack of interior space and all these renders make it appear the Bronco will have less cargo capacity than the JL which doesn’t seem like a good strategy.
But aren't there already available a number of larger SUVs for people who want more space? I wouldn't necessarily want that in a Bronco.

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But aren't there already available a number of larger SUVs for people who want more space? I wouldn't necessarily want that in a Bronco.
We’ve had this conversation many times...there is NOT another SUV with the off-road capability of a Wrangler PERIOD.
Based on what we know and rumors, the Bronco is going to look more trail ready than a Wrangler but not be as capable. Not sure how that is a good thing...
Sounds like the 2dr would be perfect for you tho if you are worried about size.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Perfect. A truck that breaks time and space, while staying small for intergalactic off roading!

E330C551-5EDC-4881-BFAB-175BA4394E6C.jpeg
[/Q
And any issues with the vehicle could be fixed simply by reversing the polarity. :)

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
We’ve had this conversation many times...there is NOT another SUV with the off-road capability of a Wrangler PERIOD.
Based on what we know and rumors, the Bronco is going to look more trail ready than a Wrangler but not be as capable. Not sure how that is a good thing...
Sounds like the 2dr would be perfect for you tho if you are worried about size.
No I don't want a 2 door. My current older 4x4s already have the 2 door situation covered. My interest in a new JLU or Bronco, is mainly a 4 door version. But not some overly large 4 door version.

In terms of what the new Bronco is - well I don't think we know for sure yet. I'm hoping it will compete in the Wrangler class. Not same as Wrangler, but having decent off-road capability, top and doors off fun, etc. In this forum we discuss what we want out of the new Bronco.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No I don't want a 2 door. My current older 4x4s already have the 2 door situation covered. My interest in a new JLU or Bronco, is mainly a 4 door version. But not some overly large 4 door version.

In terms of what the new Bronco is - well I don't think we know for sure yet. I'm hoping it will compete in the Wrangler class. Not same as Wrangler, but having decent off-road capability, top and doors off fun, etc. In this forum we discuss what we want out of the new Bronco.
Exactly, and like I originally said in the post you replied to....
“I feel again in the minority group but I hope the 4 door is larger than the JL.”
Sponsored