Sponsored

Bike rack / bicycle carrier options for 2021 Bronco?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a HD Hollywood hitch mounted rack for my fat tire E-Bikes, seems to work well with the weight as its rated for 80lbs per bike. Swing down to access the hatch or window, and I have a ramp to power walk the bikes up on the rack, add in a full cover and we did the entire west coast without getting them wet or dirty.
Sponsored

Gravel28

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thumbs up on the Kuat. Amazing bike rack and rock solid for hitch mount. I have had mine for 6 years and no issues. Buy it and you won't regret it.

aaddaamm

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lyon L'Avecaise
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone know what to expect from the Ford accessories options for bike racks? I've seen them mentioned on the Bronco Sport accessories list but don't know anything else. I will need a bike transport solution and not sure if that is something worth considering from Ford, or will something like a Kuat/1-up be a much better option? I also don't want to go third party but need to use some hitch extender adapter type of thing to clear the big ol' spare tire.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can easily fit 4 on the roof rack Yakima makes (for Ford). The hitch is a solution, although I dislike having 4 bikes on the hitch, personally due to seeing what can happen on freeways with that much weight and size dangling off the back.

This will be essentially the same setup that will work with Bronco's roof rack. Don't mind that my stretched cruiser is about 9' long and only has 4" of clearance on the frame, so the rack cross-bars are drastically far apart. You won't have that problem with a standard shape/size bike.

For the forks of the bike a "fork chop" mount will help you keep overall length down, then just straps in the rear as shown.

Ford Bronco Bike rack / bicycle carrier options for 2021 Bronco? RoadTripRanger

Ford Bronco Bike rack / bicycle carrier options for 2021 Bronco? RuffCycles

aaddaamm

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lyon L'Avecaise
Your Bronco Model
Base
Roof rack argument :
+ I got rear-ended in my Mazda 3 with two very nice bikes on the trunk rack. So part of me is hesitant to go hitch rack and stick with a roof rack setup like I'm using now on that car.
+ I'd then have a roof rack and could also put skis, a basket, or enclosed carrier, shower resevoir up there for a big trip
+ roof rack looks bad ass
+ hitch rack makes the vehicle 50' long. Would not leave it on permanently since I need to park it in NYC, plus theft risk.

Hitch rack argument:
+ a roof rack on the Bronco will be sky high and kind of annoying to load/unload. I definitely won't be able to drive into any garages with a bike up there. I'm not sure that I won't even have clearance issues with just the sasquatched truck + a few inches for a rack going into NYC parking garages.
+ roof rack seems like it is going to complicate the removing the roof in the summer. That is one of the biggest features attracting me to the Bronco
+ most of the bike industry people with SUV's i've seen go with hitch rack option

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have one of these - it fits a 2" receiver.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

I'm hoping it sticks out far enough from the spare tire. If not, I'll be looking for something else.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
We currently just throw our 4 mountain bikes in the back of our f-150... the plan is to replace the truck with the bronco. Has anybody have experience with a 4 bike rack of any sort? Good bad - manageability ?
Oh I have a lot of experience looking at the never used bike rack in the garage next to a family's worth of bicycles with flat tires because no one ever uses them. So I guess not. Sorry, rant. Please don't hang out with my wife and give her any ideas.

blumtn

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 Toyota 4x4, '93 FJ80, '01 F250 4x4, '86 FXRS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anyone have experience with mounting a front reese hitch on a Ranger or similar vehicle? I'd really like the carrier on the front and a front hitch might also support a hitch mounted winch, depending on its strength.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone actually research the accessories?

Sponsored

Tulumben

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you guys had any luck with hitch extenders? I bought one a few years ago (it was actually a 2 inch to 1-1/4 inch converter, but basically the same thing as an extender) and there was so much play that it was basically unusable since the rack would rock back and forth constantly while in use. Since they have the OEM extender I assume it should work/fit better. I have a Thule T2 Pro XT and hoping to use that with the Bronco but I think it would definitely need the extender to clear the spare tire.

intothegnar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Volkswagen GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've recommended 1Up USA here a number of times but I just came across some new information.

1Up can hook you up with a rack that looks like it should work well for the Bronco with the tire as well as access to the rear door.

This guy yammers on forever but FFWD to around 6 minutes.

His set up works super well.
I previously bought an Equip-D for my GTI, but had to sell it because of ground clearance issues. I'm now thinking of giving it another try with the Bronco.

I found the attached fitment guide on a Wrangler forum for the non-Equip-D version with reverse side plates. Was the hitch receiver clearance on Bronco mentioned before? I wonder how close the bottom of reverse side plates will be to the ground. Also, do we know the distance between the top of hitch receiver and the spare tire? I understand that these change with tire size, but I can do the math.

Based on the fitment guide, there needs to be at least 4.1" gap for the tire to clear out the rack when in storage position. Would be nice not to fiddle with the rack each time I need to open the swing gate. My plan is to install a single and always keep it on the car.

Attachments

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I currently plan on getting an aftermarket hitch put on my base & using an extension bar for my existing Thule 2 bicycle rack I own

Jarrett

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going to get the hitch for my 4-bike rack, but I’m also interested in getting a smaller 2-bike rack that will go on the spare tire so that it will swing away when opening the rear door. But given that the rear view camera is on the center of the spare tire, I’ll have to go with something like this Hollywood rack so that it doesn’t block the camera.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just pulled the trigger on a 1up. Going to get the swing out arm as well once the bronco arrives.
Sponsored