Sponsored

Bike rack / bicycle carrier options for 2021 Bronco?

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We currently just throw our 4 mountain bikes in the back of our f-150... the plan is to replace the truck with the bronco. Has anybody have experience with a 4 bike rack of any sort? Good bad - manageability ?
I highly recommend Kuat
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most racks come ready for either II or III standard or with an adapter from 1-1/4" to 2"

Shouldn't be an issue when getting a rack.
considering the amount of cantilever and the additional floppiness of using an adapter
(going from ii to III), would you still be willing to put a four place bike rack back there?

my existing 4 bike hitch mounted rack uses a class iii and it's pretty solidly attached.

a CTS made the mistake of rear ending me. luckily, no bikes were mounted at the time,
the rack and my vehicle were unscathed, but the CTS suffered total loss of coolant

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

considering the amount of cantilever and the additional floppiness of using an adapter
(going from ii to III), would you still be willing to put a four place bike rack back there?

my existing 4 bike hitch mounted rack uses a class iii and it's pretty solidly attached.

a CTS made the mistake of rear ending me. luckily, no bikes were mounted at the time,
the rack and my vehicle were unscathed, but the CTS suffered total loss of coolant
I meant an adapter to go from a 1-1/4" rack to a 2" receiver. I'm not a fan of going the other way. Certainly not a fan of putting a 4 bike, 2" rack, on a 1-1/4" receiver using an adapter.

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I reserved the Wildtrak (Sas standard) and have a 70# German R&M Delite touring electric bike. It does look like the Kuat NV 2.0 would clear but probably not fold up with the spare on the rear door? The hitch extension looks like the bikes would bounce around with that much length from the receiver hitch, but may be the best option? I guess the other option is a custom rear bumper that extends out more with its own receiver hitch integrated in...

Cactus Gray 2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch Towing Trailer 1.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpg

attachment.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

iu-3.jpeg

P8190403.jpg

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've recommended 1Up USA here a number of times but I just came across some new information.

1Up can hook you up with a rack that looks like it should work well for the Bronco with the tire as well as access to the rear door.

This guy yammers on forever but FFWD to around 6 minutes.

His set up works super well.

Sponsored

jimmysmith3

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am planning to go on many trips in my Bronco and I plan on taking my MTB. I don't have a bike rack at the moment because right now I just use the bed of my truck. I would like to purchase a Kuat tray rack, but I am worried that the Bronco's spare tire will be an obstruction (especially with Squatch). Do any of you have any insight or advice? Does the Wrangler have this problem? Thanks.

jimmysmith3

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am planning to go on many trips in my Bronco and I plan on taking my MTB. I don't have a bike rack at the moment because right now I just use the bed of my truck. I would like to purchase a Kuat tray rack, but I am worried that the Bronco's spare tire will be an obstruction (especially with Squatch). Do any of you have any insight or advice? Does the Wrangler have this problem? Thanks.
My post merged with this thread so my question has been answered

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Thule swing away bike rack (which I like a lot) but not sure if it sticks out far enough for the spare tire.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was hoping that my mountain bikes will fit inside the 4 door standing up with front tire removed like in the Sport commercial. I know they will fit in a Wrangler,
Same here. That one's a dealbreaker for me....

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same here. That one's a dealbreaker for me....
I don't see why it wouldn't fit that way. Get a couple of these and mount on a 2x4. A couple of straps should keep them from moving around. You'll have to drop the seat but shouldn't be a problem fitting two bikes side by side this way if the seats are folded down.

Sponsored

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see why it wouldn't fit that way. Get a couple of these and mount on a 2x4. A couple of straps should keep them from moving around. You'll have to drop the seat but shouldn't be a problem fitting two bikes side by side this way if the seats are folded down.
I have that very setup now, with a 1x3. Works in the Excursion and the Minivan just fine. Doesn't work in the 2 door Jeep at all. I expect it will work well in the Bronco. If it doesn't then I'll pass. If I really thought it wasn't going to work I'd be looking hard at 4 door Jeeps. I'm not....

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have that very setup now, with a 1x3. Works in the Excursion and the Minivan just fine. Doesn't work in the 2 door Jeep at all. I expect it will work well in the Bronco. If it doesn't then I'll pass. If I really thought it wasn't going to work I'd be looking hard at 4 door Jeeps. I'm not....
The only issue I can see with this is if the folded down seats raise the bike too high (where the handle bars hit the ceiling). Otherwise, it should fit two bikes just fine and looking at the pics from earlier today, it doesn't look like the seats are that high.

EDIT - looking at it again, there should be plenty of height. The only potential issue would be the length of the bikes. You may have to mash the tires (or brackets if you want them in that direction) up to the headrests to make them fit but from this picture, it looks like there is plenty of room.

Ford Bronco Bike rack / bicycle carrier options for 2021 Bronco? -bronco-badlands-at-bronco-west-celebration-23-

Last edited:

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn't that photo a 2 door? In my case - I'm seeking a 4 door - so even more room if that photo is 2 door :)

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't that photo a 2 door? In my case - I'm seeking a 4 door - so even more room if that photo is 2 door :)
Yep, it is! 4 door should be more than enough room. ;)

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hitch mount is the way to go. I also like Kuat, but be aware of the wheelbase limit in case you have one of the new long wheelbase mountain bikes. Some bikes are too long. One other issue with the Bronco is the swing out rear door instead of swing down or up. I found a Yakima rack part to allow any hitch rack to have swing out capability. Seems like the way to go.
Sponsored