Sponsored

Bike rack / bicycle carrier options for 2021 Bronco?

tarantularock

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 / future Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We currently just throw our 4 mountain bikes in the back of our f-150... the plan is to replace the truck with the bronco. Has anybody have experience with a 4 bike rack of any sort? Good bad - manageability ?
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yakima and Thule make some really nice ones, and can add a swing out arm so the swing out if the way for the rear door. I am in the same place as you, coming from an F-150.
Depends on what kind of bikes you have, some carriers are better...and might be tight, but doable.
I still have little kids bikes, so I will have to out those right in the back for now, and have 2 bikes on the carrier.

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yakima and Thule make some really nice ones, and can add a swing out arm so the swing out if the way for the rear door. I am in the same place as you, coming from an F-150.
Depends on what kind of bikes you have, some carriers are better...and might be tight, but doable.
I still have little kids bikes, so I will have to out those right in the back for now, and have 2 bikes on the carrier.

I've relied on Thule products for many years. If part of the task is offroading to your starting point, you may want to lean toward the roof options vs the hitch. Though, I am expecting their may be new Bronco roof accessories that may do the job?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-heavy-duty-double-bike-rack/

1up racks start at two bikes and can upgrade to 3 or 4. These are some of the best racks made. There can be a bit of movement with a 4 rack but it's not bad.

The real issue is the spare tire. Depending on clearance you may have to add a hitch extension which will no doubt add some sway to the setup.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have an Allen 4 bike rack that was recently purchased for use on my Honda Pilot's receiver hitch. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but it came with good ratings and was inexpensive (I paid $125 or so) and it includes no rattle mounting hardware. With the Bronco, I'll be adding the tow package & just buy an extension to mount bikes past the spare tire

Sponsored
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Ford Bronco, '19 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another vote for the 1up. I've had a Thule T2 w/ extender for 10+ years. Recently one of the trays slid off the tray with the bike on it on the freeway. Thankfully nobody injured and the bike remarkably only had minor damage. Installed a bolt (Thule should have done or recommended it) that prevents it sliding off, but difficult lesson to learn.

1up is a much more secure setup. Less play in the hitch and more secure holding of the wheels.

Thule going on Craigslist soon if anyone in LA interested...

vbellino

Base
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT; 2016 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yet another vote for the 1up rack. I've had my setup on my truck for more than a couple years now. I use it a few times a week to transport all kinds of bikes...everything from tri-bikes/road bikes/mountain bike/fat bikes and it has always been exceptional. I've had several friends buy the 1up after seeing mine in action.

Rutkap

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I am thinking of purchasing a 2 door bronco, but am not sure that the vehicle will be able to carry my bike easily. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Internal bike storage -preferable given the alternatives. I know other SUVs have options similar, but they have more space than a 2 door bronco. Maybe a 4 door would be better.

2. Hitches - I just worry about blocking cameras with a hitch. This might be the best way to go.

3. Roof Rack - I prefer a roof rack on a sedan, but loading a bike on the roof would surely be very challenging. Plus it would add an extra layer of difficulty to removing the roof.

has anyone seen anything official out there for biking? I see kayak racks and the like everywhere, yet nothing for us peddalers.

Sponsored

Inspector!4

I was hoping that my mountain bikes will fit inside the 4 door standing up with front tire removed like in the Sport commercial. I know they will fit in a Wrangler,

First Name
kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 FJ40 18 RS4 20 F350 20 V4R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
the Kuat hitch bike carriers are the best in the business hands down. expensive, but the best build quality, materials, and customer service. i've bend shit on mine backing up and they sent me replacement parts free. their 2 bike has a 2 bike extension, incredibly easy to use, the best bike theft deterrent system, and they just last.

i used to be a yakima and thule installer and those things just don't last. every bit of those racks screams cheap made in china junk. if you get a chance, check out a kuat, they'll last you a lifetime.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One of the things I actually really like about my XJ is that I put a front Hitch on it. Use it for my wench or for my Bikes (I like them up front). I was actually hoping that the bumper on the Bronco had a Class 2 or 3 hitch hookup for the front but I down it.

Anyway +1 for just a standard hitch bike rack.

First Name
kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 FJ40 18 RS4 20 F350 20 V4R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One of the things I actually really like about my XJ is that I put a front Hitch on it. Use it for my wench or for my Bikes (I like them up front). I was actually hoping that the bumper on the Bronco had a Class 2 or 3 hitch hookup for the front but I down it.

Anyway +1 for just a standard hitch bike rack.
i put a front hitch on my FJ40, and had a motorcycle "sled" on the front with my mtn bikes on a rear hitch bike carrier. +1 on front mounted hitches being awesome.

Ibleve

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR, for now
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great info - I am also wondering. Any recommendations for a 4 bike? We have a mix of kids , mtn and mine is a Micargi Mustang cruiser ( read as a little too long to rack, but ?)
Sponsored