John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My OBX was released from Purgatory on Dirt Mountain on October 8 (July 22 Blend) and I picked it up from Palmetto Ford on October 21 at the agreed-upon MSRP. Its a great car. I've had a great time playing with the three MIC panels as I drive it around.

There are so many tire, wheel & suspension posts, I thought I'd share my experience about something I know, namely fitting the Bronco with a bike rack that will carrying two bikes for trail and Beach riding in Charleston SC

20211021_153931.jpg

At Palmetto Ford, Charleston with Tom Slawson, salesman. My son is holding a 1994 photo of us on the Race Point, Cape Cod beach in my 1986ish Bronco (see my profile). We'll be driving the Eastern Seaboard beaches ASAP in the OBX.
Screenshot_20211022-194042_Gallery.jpg

A Bike Rack will not fit (photo above) without an extender, because the spare tire is in the way, so I used A Kuaat Pivot as an extender for the Kuaat rack, so that the entire assembly swings out of the way when i want to open the back door. Kuat is very well built and reliable, but the two together are about $1,100. This was previously on my F150. In bike racks, you get what you pay for.

20211022_143632.jpg

The photo above shows how much the spare tire prevents the Kuat bike rack from entering the receiver. I needed at least 8 more inches before I could slide the pin through the hole in the receiver The entire loaded rack extends out 3'9" from the rear bumper, but at least the whole rig fits in a parking space! The F150 with the loaded rack wouldnt was hard to park at 24'!
20211022_145334.jpg

Above: thats a yardstick, showing the loaded Kuat rack on the Pivot swing rack extending well over 3' beyond the rear bumper.

20211022_150011.jpg

Above, the Kuat rack, mounted to the Pivot, swings completely out of the way so that the rear door and window can be opened.

20211022_152102.jpg

20211022_184644.jpg

20211022_184732.jpg

Here is the empty rack, folded up out of the way, plugged into the Kuaat Pivot Extender.
Sponsored

Last edited:

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you have to put an extension on that hitch?

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you have to put an extension on that hitch?
Yes, you must use an extender to clear the spare tire, mine has pin holes at 8 & 12 inches extension. But you cant open the back with a simple extender. So the Pivot piece serves as a 12" extender, and a swing out arm, and it raises the rack up 2.5 inches. Its very strong, and swings the rack out of the way. I sometimes take the Rack off, but leave the Pivot in place. It also works with receiver-mounted baskets.

Screenshot_20211022-203150_Photo Editor.jpg

Last edited:

treadlightly

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its very tight getting the locking pin in place,
I am glad you posted this. I am an NV2 user and bought the pivot 2 in anticipation of the extender problem. My ability to transport bikes is paramount and more important than the Bronco itself.

In your third picture, the locking pin does not seem to be within the actual hitch assembly that is part of the vehicle. In other words, the pin does not appear to be locking the rack to anything. Am I incorrect?

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In your third picture, the locking pin does not seem to be within the actual hitch assembly that is part of the vehicle. In other words, the pin does not appear to be locking the rack to anything. Am I incorrect?
I thought the same thing, but I think he has it up there to show it is a tight fit. I have a straight locking pin for my bike rack and I have to go at it behind the light hookup to push it through. The angled pin might be more or less challenging. The 7" extension worked for my application which is a 32 inch tire, these are readily available at WM and Amazon. Remember with an extender you need two locks now. I got 2 locking pins keyed alike, but the rack is a 1/2 inch hole and the extension fits on 5/8. Argh! I don't think there is a 1/2 locking pin that will fit a 2 inch hitch. Word to the wise, figure out all the sizes before spending $. ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am glad you posted this. I am an NV2 user and bought the pivot 2 in anticipation of the extender problem. My ability to transport bikes is paramount and more important than the Bronco itself.

Yes, you're correct, I posted the wrong photo, that photo was meant to illustrate how the spare tire prevents the bar from entering the receiver enough to insert the pin! Hard to do this on a phone! Here's a more accurate photo of the Pivot2 with the pin inserted! was trying to illustrate how tight the space is around the receiver for inserting the pins. Your Pivot2 will work perfectly, both clearing the spare, and swinging out of the way. I believe it would also clear 33" and maybe 35" tires as well, if you have the Sasquatch. it appears we have the same equipment, and as you say, biking is a top priority for me.

I lived in Plattsburgh 16 years until 2006, and did some Graduate work at McGill. Hope all's well in the North, and that you get your Bronco soon!

20211022_144334.jpg

Last edited:

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good post. One of the add ons that doesn't get much forum love. I can't imagine trying to put bikes on a roof rack of this thing.

Are spare tire mounted bike racks still a thing?

treadlightly

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, you're correct, I posted the wrong photo, here's a more accurate photo with the pin inserted! was trying to illustrate how tight the space is around the receiver for inserting the pins. Your Pivot2 will work perfectly, both clearing the spare, and swinging out of the way. I believe it would also clear 33" and 35" tires as well, if you have the Sasquatch. it appears we have the same equipment, and as you say, biking is a top priority for me.
That additional photo is helpful, thank you. The Pivot 2 appears to be a perfect fit; I was worried I would need the Pivot plus an extender. The fit for the locking pin is tight but that is not a bad thing in itself.

NotGuilty

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got the Kuat Transfer as my rack. Thing is rock solid, no movement at all. I'll for sure get the extended hitch because of the spare.
Ford Bronco Bike Rack on New MIC OBX Bronco 20200627_191819_1

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I thought the same thing, but I think he has it up there to show it is a tight fit. I have a straight locking pin for my bike rack and I have to go at it behind the light hookup to push it through. The angled pin might be more or less challenging. The 7" extension worked for my application which is a 32 inch tire, these are readily available at WM and Amazon. Remember with an extender you need two locks now. I got 2 locking pins keyed alike, but the rack is a 1/2 inch hole and the extension fits on 5/8. Argh! I don't think there is a 1/2 locking pin that will fit a 2 inch hitch. Word to the wise, figure out all the sizes before spending $. ;)
You're correct on the pins, and the need for 2 locks. KUATs pins are all too thin, but Kuat also has a tightening mechanism that holds each bar in its receiver, very tight, so the locking pin is really just a safety lock and a theft deterrent. I'm used to boat trailers where the pin holds the bar in the receiver. I may upsize the locking pins, i have several non-locking 5/8 pins.

Do you have a photo of your Bronco bike rack?

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good post. One of the add ons that doesn't get much forum love. I can't imagine trying to put bikes on a roof rack of this thing.

Are spare tire mounted bike racks still a thing?
I researched a few, but decided that it was too much weight, might scratch the paint, and its hard to hang a mountain bike! But on my '86 full size Bronco, i hung several bikes off a spare tire bike rack, but that was a swinging tire rack mounted to the body, not the door, which was a tailgate style as you know!

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I researched a few, but decided that it was too much weight, might scratch the paint, and its hard to hang a mountain bike! But on my '86 full size Bronco, i hung several bikes off a spare tire bike rack, but that was a swinging tire rack mounted to the body, not the door, which was a tailgate style as you know!
I figured weight is why they've disappeared, but I still see them on Wranglers occasionally.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I imagine you will need a hitch extender for the Thule one in the accessory catalog???

https://accessories.ford.com/products/thule-hitch-mounted-tilting-bicycle-carrier-for-2-bikes
Correct, AFAIK the Thule rack has similar dimensions to the Kuat, and the accessories catalog also sells several extenders, saying that the Bronco requires one (spare tire). Without an extender, the spare prevents the rack mounting bar from extending into the hitch receiver. I chose to use a Kuat Pivot2 mechanism as an extender and a swing-out arm. I believe Thule makes one as well, but I've never seen or used it.

Socal71

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrak, 2005 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, you must use an extender to clear the spare tire, mine has pin holes at 8 & 12 inches extension. But you cant open the back with a simple extender. So the Pivot piece serves as a 12" extender, and a swing out arm, and it raises the rack up 2.5 inches. Its very strong, and swings the rack out of the way. I sometimes take the Rack off, but leave the Pivot in place. It also works with receiver-mounted baskets.

Ford Bronco Bike Rack on New MIC OBX Bronco 20200627_191819_1
I definitely recommend just getting the extender through the Ford accessories it's made by Yakima and I put it on my Wild Trak 2 door and it works great! no issues.
Ford Bronco Bike Rack on New MIC OBX Bronco 20210829_103037
Sponsored