Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When you guys talk about off-road performance regarding shocks, what exactly do you mean? Running 60-70 mph across the desert? Rock crawling? Fire roads? Exploring trails? Crossing rivers? Climbing mountains?
I see the mention all of the time, but it means nothing without a definition of what off-road is regarding the performance of said shocks/coil overs.
Looking at drop testing, length of travel and fading. I find the driving real fast offroad is more of its own thing similar to rock crawling. Offroading is more of the milder side of things and usually denotes no pavement.
Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking at drop testing, length of travel and fading. I find the driving real fast offroad is more of its own thing similar to rock crawling. Offroading is more of the milder side of things and usually denotes no pavement.
Exactly the way I would describe it.
It certainly doesn’t take a specialized shock to handle that. Same as a road shock.
At least that’s the way it’s been for me over the last 50+ years “off-roading”

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly the way I would describe it.
It certainly doesn’t take a specialized shock to handle that. Same as a road shock.
At least that’s the way it’s been for me over the last 50+ years “off-roading”
I use to think the same thing, but certain brands seem to understand it better than others. I have snapped/broken/bent enough shocks that I tend to stick with Bilstein on the lower end.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You posted about 5100 which are a $500, don't want to put you down a path outside your budget. With factory SAS shocks your getting a very different valving which is why so many people are happy with. People who are happy with the Sas shocks typically okay with a little more lean around corners and nose dive. SAS rides softer and stiffens as it reaches its travel limits. You will want some additional lift to SAs if you want to stay the same height which adds money/complexity to the question.

If you want 2-4" of height and plush ride your moving towards coilovers which are more money & maintenance. The next step up for on road would be Eibach coilovers, they are not a larger shock body than SAS/5100 so they are not going to handle offroad better but everyone who has them has been happy with road performance.

The other options are rancho 9000, rancho assembled struts or belltech which are in the $500 to $600 range. All are decent options but are half the quality of 5100 for the same money. I just don't see the value it going with till they are proven (let someone wheel the piss out of them see if they pull apart).

5100 are a huge improvement over Hitachi shocks. Hitachi shocks are not designed to handle heavy tires and don't do a good job of dampening 35"+ tires. 5100 are actually stiffer than factory SAS shocks and help with road handling with heavy tires.

The question is how long will the Hitachis handle big tire before they give up? 5100 are know to last and money well spent if you are paying for install.
Having real world experience with the 5100s on a Bronco with 35"s, I second this. Huge difference for $500. Definitely can feel more road imperfections, but gladly trade with the firmness improvements on turns, braking, and bumps/dips in the road.

OP
OP
WhiteOBX

WhiteOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Having real world experience with the 5100s on a Bronco with 35"s, I second this. Huge difference for $500. Definitely can feel more road imperfections, but gladly trade with the firmness improvements on turns, braking, and bumps/dips in the road.
Appreciate everyone’s input. I’m torn between the 5100’s and ordering the SAS shocks through ford if possible. When you say you can feel road imperfections more do you mean like bumpy roads? All of the roads here in Winnipeg are pretty bad because of our winters and they are far from perfect haha

Sponsored

Justinfro

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, Cayman S (987.2), 911sc
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@WhiteOBX Did you ever make a decision? I'm leaning towards the 5100s on all 4 corners for a BD.

German88

Big Bend
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Recently installed 5100’s on my non SAS BB with Badlands 34” Ford Performance Special edition wheels/BFG K02’s. Set at Pos #1 for 1” lift all 4 corners. Not a huge fan of the additional felt road imperfections. Trade off for a daily driver might not be worth the hassle if your looking for plush ride.

IMG_6935.jpeg

71617967272__CAD889F1-1DDE-4869-8A79-BE203B1A03BB.jpeg

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
do you know what circlip you set the front and rear to?
Sponsored