FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
While I doubt I would ever exceed the abilities of an OBX as I had originally planned on buying, the more I read on this the more I'm leaning towards a BL build. I don't have a ton of wheeling experience, but I know the joy of a well-matched spring/damper combo from my motorcycle days, even just for normal use on the road.

Also helps that it's really not that far off in price from a 2.7L/4A/Lux OBX if one is MGV-inclined, and that I'm in the minority here and don't have grand plans to go nuts with aftermarket items after purchase.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

500% more compression damping in the compression ESCV zone.

Designed to eliminate the need for a bump stop.

WOW.
More like they moved the bump stops to inside the shocks. Or more accurately they made hydraulic bump stops inside the shocks.

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

At 12:40 Spencer King is interviewed again about ESCV. He really emphasizes "it will take anything you can throw at it "
We'll see how that goes. 😁

Really should work well as a good hydraulic bump stop. We'll see about the overall valving, and how much improvement a good aftermarket shock will do. For 99% of people the Bilsteins should work very well. From watching a few videos of the Bronco in action I think the shocks could use a little more fast rebound valving. I also think there is an understood compromise between being comfortable in most driving situations and a bit more fast compression valving for harder fast off road stuff, they are depending a lot on the internal bump stop.

I REALLY want to get the Bronco and see what it can handle. Off Roadeo is in two weeks, hope there is a bit of fast stuff in Las Vegas.

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL, a BMW Wagon and a bunch a motos
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi Bronco people. I can provide a few answers to some of the questions out there for damper travel and spring rate.

Damper travels for 2 door and 4 door are the same. Damper travel is not equal to wheel travel...I do not recall the motion ratio for Bronco but it wouldn't be that hard to back into.

FA - full stroke (metal to metal) 161mm or 6.3"
RA - full stroke (metal to metal) 239mm or 9.4"

FA spring rate is around 415in/lb
RA spring rate is little tougher...the spring is pretty complicated...the first 4" of travel are approx 165in/lb, the remaining travel is approx 290in/lb.

ESCV - I can't really add more detail than the Bilstein cross sections and media have provided. It is an amazing piece of tech that is first to market on monotube dampers. It was a fun ride from concept to first test parts...6 very fast weeks.

Just an observation from me on some of the coilovers coming out, be very aware of the damper travel. One of the kits (a very expensive one) has an inch less travel than the stock Bilsteins for the rear damper. I don't like giving up travel

I might be able to answer more questions...toss them my way. If I can answer, I will.

Silent Panda - former Head of Damper Magic at Bilstein

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Bronco people. I can provide a few answers to some of the questions out there for damper travel and spring rate.

Damper travels for 2 door and 4 door are the same. Damper travel is not equal to wheel travel...I do not recall the motion ratio for Bronco but it wouldn't be that hard to back into.

FA spring rate is around 415in/lb
RA spring rate is little tougher...the spring is pretty complicated...the first 4" of travel are approx 165in/lb, the remaining travel is approx 290in/lb.

ESCV - I can't really add more detail than the Bilstein cross sections and media have provided. It is an amazing piece of tech that is first to market on monotube dampers. It was a fun ride from concept to first test parts...6 very fast weeks.

Just an observation from me on some of the coilovers coming out, be very aware of the damper travel. One of the kits (a very expensive one) has an inch less travel than the stock Bilsteins for the rear damper. I don't like giving up travel

I might be able to answer more questions...toss them my way. If I can answer, I will.

Know anything about the "aftermarket" Bilstein kit coming out?

Fox did that with the Ranger coil over. 1" less shaft travel on the front shocks vs OEM. People spending 1500 for less travel......

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome info. Thanks!

A few questions:
  • Do you happen to know the extended and collapsed length for sasquatch shocks?
  • Is the bronco ride height adjusted for centering the shock travel, or is it biased to one side?
  • Is the end-stop damping the same for upward and downward travel stops (for example, is there more damping on the compression end stop)?
  • Any comments on using spacer leveling kits, or perch collars on sasquatch shocks to adjust ride height?
  • What do you think of the announced $1300 kit using 1" spacer plus 1.8" perch lift (#'s are wheel travel) on sasquatch shocks?

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL, a BMW Wagon and a bunch a motos
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Awesome info. Thanks!

A few questions:
  • Do you happen to know the extended and collapsed length for sasquatch shocks?
  • Is the bronco ride height adjusted for centering the shock travel, or is it biased to one side?
  • Is the end-stop damping the same for upward and downward travel stops (for example, is there more damping on the compression end stop)?
  • Any comments on using spacer leveling kits, or perch collars on sasquatch shocks to adjust ride height?
  • What do you think of the announced $1300 kit using 1" spacer plus 1.8" perch lift (#'s are wheel travel) on sasquatch shocks?
I do...here are the extended, compressed, curb (ride height) and ESCV engagement lengths
FA mmFA InchRA mmRA Inch
Comp (metal)
418​
16.5​
416​
16.4​
Comp escv
457​
18.0​
484​
19.1​
Curb
512​
20.2​
544​
21.4​
Reb escv
558​
22.0​
624​
24.6​
Ext
579​
22.8​
655​
25.8​

Ride height is not centered in the front but is pretty centered in the rear.

I don't remember the damping forces for the ESCV...I do not think they were even in comp and reb though. There should be more damping force available on the compression side...

A spacer typ kit would preserve the curb position in the damper stroke and intended engagement points of the ESCV.

A collar would shift you away from the curb position and potentially engage the ESCV far more frequently than intended. This would upset the handing balance of the car and potentially fail the damper prematurely. End stop controls are not intended to be engaged with every stroke of the damper.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it normal to see shimmed dampers in automative applications? I would have expected the service life of the shims to be an issue given the velocity and frequency of compressions in a car or truck. I'm used to them on bikes, but surprised to see them here.

Anyone know how frequently these need to be rebuilt?
Sponsored